TDI's in the winter- potential new owner questions

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
I'm wondering if many of the northern climate MK7 drivers have felt the need to go with winter tires? I'm planning on trying first with the new all seasons that came with my Sportwagen to see if I need to put them on.
MN is probably more similar to Ottawa than most of the US. There's no way I would run all season tires (on my daily driver) in the winter times. ZERO chance.

It's such a night and day improvement in starting, turning and stopping.

I bought a pair of Blizzak's that will be mounted to my 15" OEM wheels when the temperatures drop.

mheat

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW, 03 JSW
I can second that.
We live across the river from Ottawa, on the Quebec side. It is actually illegal to run all-season tires in the winter in Quebec. During bad days in the winter, listening to the traffic report, there will always be more accidents on the Ottawa side, when often there are zero accidents on the Quebec side.

slj333

TDI
2015 sportwagen s
MN is probably more similar to Ottawa than most of the US. There's no way I would run all season tires (on my daily driver) in the winter times. ZERO chance.

It's such a night and day improvement in starting, turning and stopping.

I bought a pair of Blizzak's that will be mounted to my 15" OEM wheels when the temperatures drop.
Thank you for the good information.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
I have purchased a Webasto coolant heater for my car. It is the optional auxiliary heater that cold climates and countries get. It mounts in the right front fenderwell and hooks into the cooling system. I won't have the remote control option, but I plan on a timer instead. I may be able to turn it on as I am walking the dog and have a warm car by the time I am ready to go to work.
I have studless Hakkapeliitta tires mounted on rims and run them as soon as the snow flies. I got by all winter on them last year, but if the snow gets really bad and deep, I drive the S6 on Michellin Alpins.
pdq did you get the factory developped Webasto that can be controled through the car? Or a stand alone one? I see in most of the world "parking heaters" are available and factory supported through the car electronics and wondering which way you went?
I have several Espar units that removed from Sprinters in the u pull yard, they were all factory units so not sure about the electronics working with a simple on off switch have not gotten that far yet..still waiting to take delivery of our new 2015 sportwagen tdi this whole process is killing us it is so slow (ricepoint and trading in our 2014).

Winter tires are a must in my world, you want whatever power put out to do something and not just spin. Good winters make a world of difference, they don't have to be squishy and soft, Nokian makes great snows that are extra load and handle very well but do consume a bit more fuel. Michelins consume the least but few sizes are extra load and they handle horrible, soft and no steering feel. Cheap winter tires offer very little over a good all season, best to get a top rated snow tire and enjoy it versus one that is a comromise and wears funny or is loud.
Looking forward to response on this one! :)

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
My heater is a VW fitted Wabasto 1K0-815-005 part number. When they came on the car you could have remote control firing, like before you step out the door in the morning thing. I doubt my car has the wiring built into it, or the heater panel and switch. I know I can make it work, wiring is pretty simple, and I plan to put a timer on it for cold morning pre-starts or long downhills. I think this one is for 2012-15 Jettas. I am pretty sure I can retrofit it to my 09. The coolant hose connector to join it to the cooling system is unavailable in the US from my dealer, but I dont imagine it will be hard to fabricate something.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
My heater is a VW fitted Wabasto 1K0-815-005 part number. When they came on the car you could have remote control firing, like before you step out the door in the morning thing. I doubt my car has the wiring built into it, or the heater panel and switch. I know I can make it work, wiring is pretty simple, and I plan to put a timer on it for cold morning pre-starts or long downhills. I think this one is for 2012-15 Jettas. I am pretty sure I can retrofit it to my 09. The coolant hose connector to join it to the cooling system is unavailable in the US from my dealer, but I dont imagine it will be hard to fabricate something.
Now that is VERY cool. I wonder if ETKA has detailed diagram of the factory setup. It is spendy compared to Frost Heater BUT man, I'd gladly spend to have a fully self contained factory spec setup on my car for the winter.

Thanks for sharing!

*Are there any letters after that part number by chance?

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Now that is VERY cool. I wonder if ETKA has detailed diagram of the factory setup. It is spendy compared to Frost Heater BUT man, I'd gladly spend to have a fully self contained factory spec setup on my car for the winter.
Thanks for sharing!
*Are there any letters after that part number by chance?
This may be the ticket. Looks like thete are two parts. The Webasto heater and the telestart kit: 5Q0819193A and 5Q0963513 respectively. Don’t hold me to that. I’m just playing with The Google.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-MK7-2-0-TDI-2013-LHD-WEBASTO-AUXILIARY-HEATER-KIT-5Q0819193A-5Q0963513-/253064259382

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
Sorry, full part number on unit 1K0-815-005MH. I have perused ETKA EU, Elsa-win and google and anywhere else I can find. I have found the remote control parts online and studied fitment on the cars. My car is a MK5 and I am certain the wiring just isn't there in the car and I don't want to get too complex on the install.

I have seen you tubes of running Wabastos on the bench heating water. I figure with a timer circuit I can achieve my needs without complexity. I really only want possible preheat on a frosty day, or thaw out on a really frosty day, and supplemental heat on the long downhill I drive every morning. With a timer, the possibility of me forgetting and leaving it on vanishes somewhat.

I will see how well it works and report as I experiment. I suspect it will be a great addition to my car. I hope to have some progress this weekend. I am not sure the heater is fully compatible with my car and I may have to improvise somewhat on the exhaust and hose routing.

The interchange on the heaters I have purchased is claimed to be:

2010-2013 GOLF , 2012-2017 CC , 2011-2016 EOS , 2015-2017 JETTA , 2012-2017 TIGUAN

Last edited:

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The more I research on eBay, I’m thinking the main part for the Mk7 heater may actually be 5Q0815005L. There are several for sale in Germany on eBay.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry, full part number on unit 1K0-815-005MH. I have perused ETKA EU, Elsa-win and google and anywhere else I can find. I have found the remote control parts online and studied fitment on the cars. My car is a MK5 and I am certain the wiring just isn't there in the car and I don't want to get too complex on the install.

I have seen you tubes of running Wabastos on the bench heating water. I figure with a timer circuit I can achieve my needs without complexity. I really only want possible preheat on a frosty day, or thaw out on a really frosty day, and supplemental heat on the long downhill I drive every morning. With a timer, the possibility of me forgetting and leaving it on vanishes somewhat.

I will see how well it works and report as I experiment. I suspect it will be a great addition to my car. I hope to have some progress this weekend. I am not sure the heater is fully compatible with my car and I may have to improvise somewhat on the exhaust and hose routing.

The interchange on the heaters I have purchased is claimed to be:

2010-2013 GOLF , 2012-2017 CC , 2011-2016 EOS , 2015-2017 JETTA , 2012-2017 TIGUAN
Thanks for popping in here and posting up. This is great! I see a retrofit at some point in my cars tenure... :-D

The more I research on eBay, I’m thinking the main part for the Mk7 heater may actually be 5Q0815005L. There are several for sale in Germany on eBay.
Good finds and that factory installed settings via infotainment is SUPER SWEET!

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
Still awaiting freight, seems they lost the pallet my heaters were on. Was hoping to have by weekend. Oh well, it isn't bitter cold out yet.
Still trying to figure out how to attach photos. Used to use photobucket and it was easy, but wont ever again even if they have a reversal of policy.

Edit: Thanks Blue hen, apparently Imgur is easy enough that a caveman can do it.

Last edited:

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Still awaiting freight, seems they lost the pallet my heaters were on. Was hoping to have by weekend. Oh well, it isn't bitter cold out yet.
Still trying to figure out how to attach photos. Used to use photobucket and it was easy, but wont ever again even if they have a reversal of policy.
I switched to imgur after the photof*cket fiasco.

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
Imgur works great for me so far. I am glad for the tip. I haven't heard anything more about Photobucket since, as to whether they are going to survive or die after such a suicidal move.
I vote for die, and refuse to use them in any case ever again even if they did a total about face. I have left all my photos there to use up their bandwidth hopefully.

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
Those are actually new units. I ran upon them at an obsolete new old stock auction and bought the lot of them. I could not be picky about part number as they are what they are. I figured the 1K0 number would be close to my Jetta for fitment.

They are mostly the same units on different cars, the exhaust and mounting changing obviously. I was/am prepared to improvise as needed. The pallet is still missing, those were shots from the auction, so I still await anxiously to examine in hand. I did run the car up in the air and did a little visual planning today in anticipation.

marcusku

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen, 15', red
Call and ask them.....simple no secret handshake needed:cool:
I just gave them a call and the fellow I talked to said they don't have them available for MK7's yet. He didn't anticipate getting them yet this year but he did mention that he's gotten a couple of other calls. I said there definitely is some interest out there.

Maybe it will be back to the pipe insulation for now....

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
pipe insulation for in front of the active grill shutters, I like it. I also wear a belt and suspenders too.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
MK7's don't actually have active grill shutters. I'm not aware of any VW models that do.

Ahh crap you're right, it's the jetta gasser that has the grill shutters, my bad.

clacker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI DSG Trendline, 2000 Jetta TDI auto, 2008 Mercedes R320, 2006 smart fortwo cdi
The cars have factory integration for the coolant heaters, you can see it with Vag-Com the ecm supports it. I would imagine it is controlled through the climate control but maybe a special remote is required. Overland had those mk5 units for a while cheap but sold out. It is pretty easy to control them with simple switch, but having factory integration is neat also. It is not easy digging for info on these units, they are not common here and even sourcing parts for them can be challenging (not many dealers).
I make my own winter fronts with a crazy carpet (plastic snow slide thing) and zip tie it on, cheap and very durable without the look of plumbing insulation, I like red on a grey car.

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
It is built into the ECU, but I don't think anything else is present on the car. I found online a VW manual for an auxiliary heater install in a Passat and they showed running harnesses and fuse panel hookups.

I have been scouring the internet to see what I need to hook up to the heaters I have to make it work and I think I do know now. It looks like constant 12 volts plus and minus to the bigger 2 wire plug, X2. 12 volt switched to the small terminal pin 1 to fire, and Pin 5 feeds the fuel pump, both in connector X1. I had hoped to bench fire it this last weekend, but ran out of time after other obligations. I better hurry, it is getting colder every day it seems.

clacker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI DSG Trendline, 2000 Jetta TDI auto, 2008 Mercedes R320, 2006 smart fortwo cdi
Fuel source? I am going to mount a small tank under the hood from a Yanmar genset, has a built in fuel filter and holds around a gallon of fuel, I do not want to mess with tapping into the fuel sending unit and have gelling issues with long lines or have to run all that hose. Now to find space for the tank where it is accessible.
I did find some good info searching parking heaters on ebay in europe, some diagrams and parts content was shown with hoses and part numbers. If you mount in the fender well you loose the benefit of the heat loss, I want to try and keep it around the transmission to warm it up and have the exhaust run under the oil pan...coiled to maximise the heat retention.

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
General Mk7 question, how are they in the snow?

I'll be running new Blizzaks so I am not worried.

Does the traction control do a good job of getting power to spinning wheels?