www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old September 27th, 2017, 16:06   #1
Richdaddye

Angry HELP! $900 Repair After 2009 TDI Modification Fix

Is this covered under the warranty?
My car ran really smooth prior to the modification but after I had it done (it took 3 days) the motor seemed to really shake when it idles. Much more so when it's first started and cold for the day. I figured the new modification made the motor run different and something like that was expected till my wife, who NEVER notices car noise like I do, came out into the garage as I was pulling out and asked me, "What's wrong with your car?" I knew I should have it checked out.
So I took it back to find out what's wrong. They told me the flywheel is "worn" and needs to be replaced. The thing was it ran really smooth before the modification and I thought the modification came with a Powertrain warranty which should cover something like this right? I can't seem to find the paper detailing the warranty included with the new modification. Any ideas where to go?
Richdaddye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2017, 16:36   #2
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

What transmission? I don't think the flywheel or anything else in the drive line is covered by the emissions warranty. I would get it scanned for codes and a second opinion. Another dealer or better yet a trusted mechanic if one is close to you. There is a list here.
Old September 27th, 2017, 21:18   #3
DanB36
Veteran Member

There is no powertrain warranty with the modification. There's an emissions warranty, and an engine long block warranty. The flywheel might possibly be covered under the latter, though I'd kind of doubt it.

"DanB36 seems to be always on point." - CT_White_SRT
Sold: 2000 Jetta GLS TDI, Atlantic Blue, 270k miles
Sold to Dieselgate: 2 x 2013 JSW DSG, 1 x 2013 Jetta Sedan DSG
DanB36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2017, 13:03   #4
nick1994

Sorry, but you're kind of screwed. The dual mass flywheels are a common problem, my 04' cost $1,800 to have it replaced. And then the replacement failed the next month. And then that replacement still made noises the day I picked it up.
nick1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2017, 13:10   #5
Eliminator SS

The dsg has been retuned and if it's not covered under the warranty implied under the fix then I would think it could easily be argued. But if you have the manual car then I think you're screwed.
Eliminator SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2017, 06:28   #6
k1xv
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40 mpg overall, up to 50 on some trips

This is among the reasons I chose to sell back my 09 Jetta. The rest of the car is nine model years old.

k1xv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2017, 07:19   #7
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

DMFs are common. May be coincidence, may be that some other attribute of the engine software change makes the issue more pronounced, not sure.

If they say it is $900 to fix, they must be giving you a break on the price, because a DMF replacement would cost more than that.
Old October 4th, 2017, 08:34   #8
phantom1260

How many miles do you have on the car? Mine is also making a lot of noise after the fix. My mechanic told me its the flywheel and its going to cost $1750 CDN. He also said he just did one on another TDI that had the emissinos fix.

I'm at 326,800 kms (203,064 miles) I had a hard enough time getting them to agree to do the DPF under the warranty. I highly doubt they'll do this.

I'll bring it up with them when they book me in for the DPF.

Last edited by phantom1260; October 4th, 2017 at 08:40.
phantom1260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2017, 07:29   #9
740GLE
Veteran Member

DMF are wear items, it's not a matter of if its a matter of when. Seeing the extended warranty literature doesn't spell it out, you're on your own.

What's next complaining your rotors and wiper blades should be covered too?

I'd take it to an independent shop for a second opinion, $900 is way too cheap for a DMF.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2017, 13:33   #10
dorothyl

TDI(s): 09 jetta tdi
Fuel Economy: 32 mpg
Default I have Jetta TDI (2009) and am waiting for the "fix'

My question is: How did you get a fix when they keep telling me there isn't one for my car yet. Although I don't think I'm looking forward to it. But I only have 60,000 m on my car.
Thank you.
dorothyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2017, 13:36   #11
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorothyl View Post
My question is: How did you get a fix when they keep telling me there isn't one for my car yet. Although I don't think I'm looking forward to it. But I only have 60,000 m on my car.
Thank you.
If the car in your signature is the car you are talking about ...

"Legally" - There IS a fix for your car. (Who is telling you that there isn't) But, if your car happens to be a DSG (automatic), it is the one potentially subject to being "bricked", in which case, the dealer or VW may be aware of this and wants to defer fixing your car until this situation gets sorted out (IMO this is totally reasonable).
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote