www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old September 27th, 2017, 11:35   #1
Squamish_TDI

Default Pre-Recall Repairs

Took the 'ol TDI in for the emissions recall, and was told that I would need to fix all of the current DTC codes (all of which would be covered under the new warranty once the upgrade is completed) prior to them completing the recall work on my car. I get it, but because they were all emissions related, i thought they would just fix it all as part of the recall. No such luck, and the repairs total $5K!

I asked if i brought the car in with no codes showing up, would they would perform the warranty work. They said yes. Unfortunately, when i erase the codes with my OBD2 reader, as soon as I re-start the car, the codes get thrown again.

My question is this. Can i use VAG-COM, or some other method to erase the codes for a longer period in order to get the Dieselgate warranty work done, and second, can i turn them back on after in order to claim the warranty for these parts.

UPDATE:

Codes are

P2015, P2008, P240F, P2002

Last edited by Squamish_TDI; September 27th, 2017 at 14:13. Reason: Adding information regarding DTC Codes
Squamish_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2017, 12:30   #2
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

You are going to need to fix them so that the lights stay off at least long enough for them to do the fix. Others here are having this same issue. Post the codes and maybe someone can help with a solution.
Old September 27th, 2017, 12:33   #3
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squamish_TDI View Post
My question is this. Can i use VAG-COM, or some other method to erase the codes for a longer period in order to get the Dieselgate warranty work done, and second, can i turn them back on after in order to claim the warranty for these parts.
Simple answer is no. If (when) the code comes back immediately after clearing it, the underlying problem is still there. For the code to clear and stay off the cause of the code has to be fixed.

Exactly what codes are you getting? Some things are easy fixes and some are not so easy (more expensive to fix). Also you cannot manually "turn on" fault codes. You can only clear them, the car has to turn them on.

Have Fun!

Don
Old September 27th, 2017, 16:39   #4
kathrynannberger

TDI(s): Jetti

I had the same issue with the check engine light - someone checked the code for me and it was the diesel particulate filter - VW is charging me $2300+ just to change the filter before they will do the modifications - the car (2010 Jetta) is running great and now VW wants me to spend $2300+ to modify it, decreasing the fuel mileage, making the car louder and making it run rougher? I think it is a scam so VW can get some of the money back they lost when they deceived people in the first place.
kathrynannberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2017, 17:38   #5
duratitus
Veteran Member

^^^ I guess everyone has their theory.......

If you're not happy to pay for the pre modification repairs, then why not opt for the buyback, or just keep driving it as it is?
duratitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2017, 05:40   #6
meerschm
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: twice what my Sprinter gets

https://www.dieselgeek.com/P2015_Rep.../egr-p2015.htm

will likely take care of the P2015

Free advice: it is worth what you pay for it. (sometimes)
meerschm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2017, 00:33   #7
jibberjive

TDI(s): MK7 GSW

There are ways to turn off certain codes, but you won't be doing it with a VAG-com. You need to talk to a real tuner, but it may be worth the couple of hundred to have them tuned out temporarily. When they do the new work, they will just flash their new file over the old, and the codes will come right back instantly (but they won't have been there when you brought the car in).

If you do this, I would be curious to see if they scan the ECU before the repair, or if, as I assume is the case, they just go for it if the check engine light isn't on. I'd also be curious to see if they would just go ahead and fix it after they do the repair, because they obviously can't give you a car back with all sorts of check engine lights and $5k of repairs pending.
jibberjive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2017, 17:35   #8
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

Trying to inhibit codes for active DTC's (codes) is a lot like removing the 13th floor of a building by removing the 13th floor button in the elevator.

Sure, a tuner might be able to illegally write a tune that would inhibit the codes, but I doubt if any legit tuner would do it.
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Blue tint aspherical mirrors
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook
VCDS Hacks: DRL Disabled-Seatbelt Chime Disabled-Key fob Power Windows
Adjusted Cam to Crank Timing
Ol'Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2017, 19:53   #9
duratitus
Veteran Member

What would make it illegal?
duratitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2017, 21:57   #10
aja8888
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duratitus View Post
What would make it illegal?
I suspect if the codes were emissions related, the disabling the notification of a deficiency software would violate federal law.
Bring the 1971 Beetle back to life thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=472400
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2017, 00:06   #11
jibberjive

TDI(s): MK7 GSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I suspect if the codes were emissions related, the disabling the notification of a deficiency software would violate federal law.
If you want to get technical, the act of modifying the emissions related systems is not a violation in and of itself. Driving it on the road would be, though.

You may (or may not) recall a year or so ago when the EPA tried to overstep its bounds and sneakily redefine (or as they tried to portray it "it has always been this way") the Clean Air Act to cover even "race/off-road only" vehicles that were never going to be driven on the road. Trying to redefine their jurisdiction like this put the entire hobbyist racing and performance aftermarket car part industry at risk, and SEMA, among others, lobbied heavily against it. The RPM act was proposed in congress to fight it. The EPA relented, and, as far as I know, the act of modifying an emissions compliant system is still not a violation in itself.

If we wanted to worry about the exact letter of the law (and completely ignore the underlying story of VW wanting $1,000's of dollars to replace a part that they are going to be replacing anyways, in what could reasonably be seen as possibly an attempt to minimize the amount of people who follow through with the court sanctioned repairs), then one could get the software modified (again, not currently illegal) and tow it to the dealership, or other private property adjacent to the dealership, to avoid driving it on the public roads before the repair is done.

But that is just dumb when the real story is that VW is trying to say, "You have to replace this DPF before we also replace the DPF again right afterwards."
jibberjive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2017, 15:31   #12
DanB36
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibberjive View Post
You may (or may not) recall a year or so ago when the EPA tried to overstep its bounds and sneakily redefine (or as they tried to portray it "it has always been this way") the Clean Air Act to cover even "race/off-road only" vehicles that were never going to be driven on the road.
They were right--the CAA is not limited to on-road vehicles.

Quote:
But that is just dumb when the real story is that VW is trying to say, "You have to replace this DPF before we also replace the DPF again right afterwards."
The Gen 1 fix only involves replacing the DPF on MY2009 cars, where the DPF is welded to the catalyst. On newer cars with separate units, the DPF is not replaced (though it does fall under the extended warranty).

"DanB36 seems to be always on point." - CT_White_SRT
Sold: 2000 Jetta GLS TDI, Atlantic Blue, 270k miles
Sold to Dieselgate: 2 x 2013 JSW DSG, 1 x 2013 Jetta Sedan DSG
DanB36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2017, 06:33   #13
meerschm
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: twice what my Sprinter gets

and modification is a violation. (tampering)

https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/clea...se-resolutions

Some states have additional penalties, and these may involve operation.

Free advice: it is worth what you pay for it. (sometimes)
meerschm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2017, 07:23   #14
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerschm View Post

THIS!

Also a P2015 most likely won't be covered under the extended warranty after the fact, so invest in the $68 and drive on.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2017, 10:28   #15
Borsig

Hell with them. make em pay for it then.

Do the buyback. Take that money and buy a CPO 2015. Profit.

Way better car anyway. Ive had both. Im about to turn in my high mileage 15 and get a low mileage CPO 15.

Borsig is offline   Reply With Quote