www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old February 8th, 2017, 07:15   #46
sardo_67
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2003 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 38mpg (driving like i stole it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by r11 View Post
We keep forgetting that there's no "fix". There's a 90% band-aid, that brings the cars to pollute at may be 2-3x rate of by-the-book-EPA-book numbers.

There's, of course, the question of whether those EPA-mandated Nox were ever realistic to begin with
that there is the real issue, not VW.
sardo_67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2017, 07:19   #47
sardo_67
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
Not sure there's any new info here. I heard months ago that Gen 1 cars would be fixed with new exhaust components and a re-flash, no Adblue addition. And that Gen 2 and 3 cars would require more extensive fixes, the first phase of which is a software flash. Those are already taking place on the Gen 3 cars. They will get hardware, however, in the second phase of the fix.

The big news will be when the EPA approves the fixes for Gen 1 and 2 cars.

And I've given up on getting a leftover '15. Latest I heard is that they'll have to have both stages of the fix before they're offered for sale. That could be the better part of a year away from now.
I see a lot of 15s on autotrader, although they are asking 32,000 for a 2015 nav jetta...........
Old February 8th, 2017, 07:20   #48
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Try and buy one. You won't be able to.
Old February 8th, 2017, 07:23   #49
mishkaya
Veteran Member

Quote:
You are correct. I have tried on more than one occasion, only to be told they are not yet available for sale...
Old February 8th, 2017, 07:23   #50
sardo_67
Veteran Member

Quote:
they say they are fixed. I'm not arguing just saying what I've seen.

or in the fine print somewhere they have the stipulation that it's only a deposit and cant buy until more **** is fixed on it?
Old February 8th, 2017, 07:27   #51
sardo_67
Veteran Member

also what years are what generation? I saw someone post a 2012 6MT with some very nice mods that I kinda want to buy, I am doing some research into what my possible options would be since it has a full aftermarket turbo back exhaust
Old February 8th, 2017, 08:21   #52
DanB36
Veteran Member

MY2015 is Gen3. MY 2014- Passats are Gen2. MY 2014- everything else is Gen1.

"DanB36 seems to be always on point." - CT_White_SRT
Sold: 2000 Jetta GLS TDI, Atlantic Blue, 270k miles
Sold to Dieselgate: 2 x 2013 JSW DSG, 1 x 2013 Jetta Sedan DSG
DanB36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2017, 08:28   #53
compu_85
Gadget Guy

No, that's incorrect. 15s are Gen 3. Passats 12-14 are Gen 2. Other cars 9-14 are Gen 1.
compu_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2017, 08:45   #54
DanB36
Veteran Member

Well, what I meant was correct, but my notation wasn't very sensible. Read "MY 2014-" as "model year 2014 minus", with the assumption that everyone knows we're dealing with only CR 2-liter TDIs, and you'd have my meaning. Your statement is much clearer.

"DanB36 seems to be always on point." - CT_White_SRT
Sold: 2000 Jetta GLS TDI, Atlantic Blue, 270k miles
Sold to Dieselgate: 2 x 2013 JSW DSG, 1 x 2013 Jetta Sedan DSG
DanB36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2017, 09:01   #55
M_R

FYI our local Toronto dealers are willing to put your name on a 2015 tdi with a refundable $500 deposit, however delivery won't be until first quater 2018 once the hardware fix has been done, and perhaps longer as all the 2015 that are in service right now will need to be done before new VW inventory gets touched.
M_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2017, 13:49   #56
Rhino1829

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardo_67 View Post
also what years are what generation? I saw someone post a 2012 6MT with some very nice mods that I kinda want to buy, I am doing some research into what my possible options would be since it has a full aftermarket turbo back exhaust
If it's a full turbo back, then it's for sure deleted of at least the dpf and cats. I'm in a similar boat being deleted, and have several "what if" scenarios running through my head. If it's running the cr140 or 170 turbo the OE emissions components should just bolt up. Get those bits put on, retune, and go to the dealer for the fix...simple solution there. My concern is rolling up with a gtb series turbo and how the dealer would react, let alone what they'd do, or not do.

I'm in for the fix but am planning on holding out to see what some of the other guys/gals who are modded end up experiencing and make my plan from there.
Rhino1829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2017, 14:24   #57
ecode
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Mk6 Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino1829 View Post
If it's a full turbo back, then it's for sure deleted of at least the dpf and cats. I'm in a similar boat being deleted, and have several "what if" scenarios running through my head. If it's running the cr140 or 170 turbo the OE emissions components should just bolt up. Get those bits put on, retune, and go to the dealer for the fix...simple solution there. My concern is rolling up with a gtb series turbo and how the dealer would react, let alone what they'd do, or not do.
I'm in for the fix but am planning on holding out to see what some of the other guys/gals who are modded end up experiencing and make my plan from there.
The Canadian deal addresses this - essentially if the dealer needs to add back the OEM tune, or hardware, in order to then do the fix, the owner is on the hook for that cost.

Seems like the Canadian VW team learned from the US settlement...
ecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2017, 14:32   #58
Rico567
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecode View Post
The Canadian deal addresses this - essentially if the dealer needs to add back the OEM tune, or hardware, in order to then do the fix, the owner is on the hook for that cost.
Seems like the Canadian VW team learned from the US settlement...
I can't see how it'll be much different. The mechanical portion of the "fix" will consist of a kit of parts, from what I understand. If that kit won't just bolt in place of whatever is there on a stock car, I'm guessing it's down tools at that point, and the owner is going to have to start spending money.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2017, 15:01   #59
BleachedBora

Correct - as long as:

a) There is no check engine light for emissions related problems when you bring it in for the work to be done

and

b) Whatever the dealer takes out can be replaced using
1) the provided parts in the kit
2) no extra additional parts

Then you have nothing to worry about.

If the modifications take longer than 3 hours then the dealer is required to provide you with a loaner car.

If the work is completed and there is a check engine light (for example if you have an EGR delete and had it tuned out) then the dealer is required to halt all work until they can get on the line with VW tech to figure out what the problem is and if it's something that they have to fix. Any non-approved modifications that will need to be fixed to bring the car back into compliance will be billed to the customer.

-BB
BleachedBora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2017, 17:48   #60
cecaumenus

In light of the information about the Gen 1 fix provided at the beginning of this thread, I assume that recent articles in the press with statements such as the following are misguided:
Quote:
About 325,000 older VW TDI models do not have SCR—and many analysts have expressed skepticism about whether they can be modified to meet emissions standards at all.
An SCR system includes a considerable amount of hardware, so adding it to a car would likely be complex and expensive.
http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/In...ose-that-can-t
cecaumenus is offline   Reply With Quote