www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old January 17th, 2017, 12:05   #16
peterschou

This definitely proves that damage isn't a problem... BUT what about title?

Thanks for posting! I am in a very similar situation: Jetta TDI 2009, damaged in December 2016, considered "totalled" by AAA who will report the car as "salvage" to CA DMV. My buyback appointment in on Jan 23 so I probably won't have time to complete the process of changing my title to "salvage." Does anyone know if this has to be completed before buyback?
peterschou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2017, 12:17   #17
DOH!

TDI(s): JSW

Who are you people??!! Plants from VW? It defies reason that your experience could be so GOOD and mine (and everyone else I know) so BAD.

I was on track for buyback until a deer stepped in front of my car on 11/22 and totaled it. Ever since, it's been pure keystone cops with the folks on the claims support line. I've waited 15 minutes on average to speak with poorly informed reps who have given me different direction each time. All of it wrong... or so says the rep I spoke with today. So now I have to wait another 3-5 business days for the portal to get unlocked (again), so I can upload additional docs and essentially begin the process again. It's going to be months still before I see my restitution $$ and I started this process in October.

I now officially hate Volkswagen. It's a pity because I loved by Sportswagon TDI. Sorry if I'm irked and coming off that way. I've earned the right to be. I'm glad for you and everyone one else who's had a good outcome. Me? Not so much.
DOH! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2017, 12:35   #18
tjsadler
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterschou View Post

Thanks for posting! I am in a very similar situation: Jetta TDI 2009, damaged in December 2016, considered "totalled" by AAA who will report the car as "salvage" to CA DMV. My buyback appointment in on Jan 23 so I probably won't have time to complete the process of changing my title to "salvage." Does anyone know if this has to be completed before buyback?

I had a CA Title marked "Salvaged". The title status isn't a problem at all per the settlement and the attorneys. The weird thing was that per the DMV what should have happened is that I should have received a "Salvage Certificate" and then I should have had to fix everything including the airbags prior to an inspection to prove that and THEN been issued a current "Salvaged" title and registration but they just sent me the title directly after the loan was paid off by the insurance. Hopefully yours will work similarly or maybe you'll just use your current title if you already have it.
tjsadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2017, 12:36   #19
tjsadler
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOH! View Post
Who are you people??!! Plants from VW? It defies reason that your experience could be so GOOD and mine (and everyone else I know) so BAD.

I was on track for buyback until a deer stepped in front of my car on 11/22 and totaled it. Ever since, it's been pure keystone cops with the folks on the claims support line. I've waited 15 minutes on average to speak with poorly informed reps who have given me different direction each time. All of it wrong... or so says the rep I spoke with today. So now I have to wait another 3-5 business days for the portal to get unlocked (again), so I can upload additional docs and essentially begin the process again. It's going to be months still before I see my restitution $$ and I started this process in October.

I now officially hate Volkswagen. It's a pity because I loved by Sportswagon TDI. Sorry if I'm irked and coming off that way. I've earned the right to be. I'm glad for you and everyone one else who's had a good outcome. Me? Not so much.
Sorry to hear that! You should have kept the car if the engine ran you would have been paid by the insurance AND VW would have bought it back anyway.
Old January 17th, 2017, 13:09   #20
chadbag
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico567 View Post
There's been a lot of argument on the subject of condition of these cars, but indviduals will do what they think is right before turning in, and perhaps the people who are accepting the turn-in will do the same.
Unfortunately, there's rarely a consistent call when someone fails on either end of a situation like this. One of the only exceptions I can think of is IDPA shooting, where there is an actual call that can be invoked to prevent letting gamesmanship take over: "Failure To Do Right.*" Which can get one penalized, and the specifics can be stated on the spur of the moment by the range SO (Safety Officer).

{*Note: digression follows!}

"Failure to Do Right
A failure to do right (FTDR) is a 20-second penalty given for any illegal action taken specifically to gain a competitive advantage. A shooter who deliberately fires extra rounds at a target so that he must reload at a more opportune time is a classic example of this penalty. This penalty can be highly subjective, and the SO has to determine that the shooter engaged in the action with a "guilty mind"—that he knowingly failed to do right. Because of the subjectivity of the call, the penalty is seldom given. Receiving one all but guarantees the shooter will lose the match, or at least place low in his or her division."

- From Wikipedia article on IDPA
+1 on IDPA reference!
chadbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2017, 13:26   #21
PacCoastFwy923
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterschou View Post

Do you already have the title? I.e.not a bank loan?

It seems you'd have more of an issue with VW if you've changed status from a lein to title holder.

If you already possess the old title (the non-salvage title), I'm betting they wouldn't bat an eye at turn in.

Since you're so close, just go forward as planned. If something comes up at the appointment, you're not that delayed. If you say something now, and that raises a flag, i it may sidetrack the process.
Old January 18th, 2017, 09:06   #22
tjsadler
Veteran Member

EFT in my account this morning. That settles that Nice to be the windshield instead of the bug for a change!
Old January 18th, 2017, 11:39   #23
pkhoury
That guy with the goats

Fuel Economy: CR - 36-41, PD - 39-48 (26-32 while towing)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsadler View Post
EFT in my account this morning. That settles that Nice to be the windshield instead of the bug for a change!
Congrats, and nice thread. I have yet to find out if I'll end up in a similar situation. My car is totally driveable, with the only major damage being my front windshield. But, the hail damage on the body, at least according to my body shop (who already agreed with the insurance company that 3 other vehicles in the household will be declared a total loss), would exceed the ACV.

I actually opted out of the class, although other than the certified mail return receipt, I never got any confirmation. VW still occasionally sends me emails and the site still lets me log in to initiate a buyback.

Did they deduct anything from you for the collision damage, or was the car valued as if it didn't exist?
2010 Jetta Sportwagen - Malone DSG tune, Malone Stage 3.5, CR170, buzzken 3" straight pipe(resonator deleted), PolarFIS, Panzer plate, front and rear fogs, Bosal towhitch, Bilstein B8/Neuspeed 28mm swaybar, 2micron CP3 upgrade kit
2004 Golf GLS 5MT -
Malone Stage 4, VNT17, DC Stage 2 clutch, buzzken 2.5" straight pipe, MFA cluster swap, dieselgeek Panzer plate and short shifter, Bosal towbar, Tekonsha P3 brake controller, Hopkins short-proof trailer light converter, darkside SMIC, intake manifold, and tip pipe, PD150 airbox
2005 Jetta Wagon GLS (mom's car) - Malone Stage 4, VNT17, MFA cluster swap, Panzer Plate, buzzken 2.5" straight pipe, darkside SMIC
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI (mom's car) - stock for now...

Other diesels:
Ford 5900 tractor
Ford 3400 Industrial tractor
2016 Mahindra XTV (1L Kohler diesel)
pkhoury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2017, 12:05   #24
DanB36
Veteran Member

There's no basis for deducting for damage. I got full restitution* for my wrecked car.

* Well, reduced, but reduced on the basis of having bought between 9/18/15 and 6/28/16. My payment was exactly what my offer letter said it would be, and nobody at VW knew of the damage before I had the car towed to the dealer on buyback day.

"DanB36 seems to be always on point." - CT_White_SRT
Sold: 2000 Jetta GLS TDI, Atlantic Blue, 270k miles
Sold to Dieselgate: 2 x 2013 JSW DSG, 1 x 2013 Jetta Sedan DSG
DanB36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 10:27   #25
dubStrom
Veteran Member

It is just sad to see a perfect 2014 Passat 6MT taken off the street. I had a 2013 as well. It was nothing short of amazing on FE. It got me 54mpg on a long trip through the Rockies. I believe I had over 750 miles on the tank when I filled, and it was destined to be a 900 mile tank. All of it through mountain passes, windy mountain roads and open highway, with three passengers besides me, and luggage. I only traded it because I am such a fool for the wagon, Then my new wagon was totaled within two years, just as it was getting truly broken in, closing in on 50mpg on the highways (expletive deleted).

I will never forgive the fool that hit me. Fortunately, I never spoke to him, and won't!
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=472257
dubStrom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2017, 16:32   #26
astroboy

Wow...to think I was worried about my torn seat and a broken key fob...
astroboy is offline   Reply With Quote