www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Closed Thread

Old September 18th, 2015, 11:33   #46
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

Ford and Hyundai/Kia's problems were related to improperly using a valid EPA test cycle, I believe, whereas this is far more of a blatant intentional violation.

Also, regarding VeeDubTDI's edit of the OP... 2012-2013 Passat are also affected even though the EPA press release left them out, and the assertion that it was done by detecting that the car was on a dyno was wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.

Last edited by bhtooefr; September 18th, 2015 at 11:39.
Old September 18th, 2015, 11:38   #47
cevans
TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI Parts Ninja Vendor
w/Business number

Gosh - I do wonder what the larger-picture impact will be?

Overly-dramatic hypotheticals ahead:

No 2016 models released for months...maybe the entire model year? Now that they are in the crosshairs, VW will certainly need to prove their "fix" before EPA will allow it. That could take a LONG time.

VW delaying or cancelling new TDI models for the USA? If the new motor isn't emissions compliant, maybe they say forget it.

VW pulling out of the US market completely - after all they only sell about 300k cars here every year out of a worldwide 5.5 million. The size of this market may not be worth the time and effort if the EPA regs aren't reasonable.

Last edited by cevans; September 18th, 2015 at 11:41.
Old September 18th, 2015, 11:42   #48
cevans
TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI Parts Ninja Vendor
w/Business number

Re: the dyno testing.

EPA does emissions compliance and efficiency ratings on a dyno. Regardless of the state inspection procedure, VWs had a switch that fooled the EPA test.
Old September 18th, 2015, 11:44   #49
aja8888
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cevans View Post
Gosh - I do wonder what the larger-picture impact will be?

Overly-dramatic hypotheticals ahead:

No 2016 models released for months...maybe the entire model year? Now that they are in the crosshairs, VW will certainly need to prove their "fix" before EPA will allow it. That could take a LONG time.

VW delaying or cancelling new TDI models for the USA? If the new motor isn't emissions compliant, maybe they say forget it.

VW pulling out of the US market completely - after all they only sell about 300k cars here every year out of a worldwide 5.5 million. The size of this market may not be worth the time and effort if the EPA regs aren't reasonable.
Add to the above: Resale value of used TDI's diminished.
Bring the 1971 Beetle back to life thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=472400
Old September 18th, 2015, 11:45   #50
cevans
TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI Parts Ninja Vendor
w/Business number

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Add to the above: Resale value of used TDI's diminished.
Yep - this is plenty for a class-action suit. If the EPA figures go down and the resale goes down, VW is in for a ride...
Old September 18th, 2015, 11:46   #51
Chilcoot

TDI(s): None Yet
Default Terrible.

This is REALLY terrible.

As Americans, we've set emissions limits on vehicles. Rather than comply, a manufacturer decides to cheat, by making its car seem clean to regulators while knowing that, out on the roads, the cars will be far dirtier. "Screw you, Americans, we found a way to cheat and we don't think you'll do anything about it."

All to chase profit.

I hope government regulators exact a penalty large enough to deter VW and other manufacturers from cheating like this again.

Just terrible.
Old September 18th, 2015, 11:48   #52
andyrooski17
Veteran Member

As many have suggested in the Mk7 Golf forum, this is likely the answer to why the 2016 Golf TDI and GSW were being held in port, while their TSI counterparts have been in dealerships.

Very discouraging. I'll be highly disappointed if my FE drops due to the recall.
Old September 18th, 2015, 11:49   #53
LogicBomb
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2014 Passat

It'll be interesting to see how this develops. If the reflash, if that's even the proper remedy, diminishes fuel savings, or ends up shortening the life span of certain pieces of equipment, it would most likely lead to a lawsuit.

Massively disappointing VW.

Old September 18th, 2015, 11:50   #54
jhinsc
Veteran Member

After further reading the EPA letter, I wonder why they didn't put a "stop sales" order out for VW TDI's until the software fix was applied?

Old September 18th, 2015, 11:51   #55
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

This is embarrassing as a VW owner, but more importantly as a diesel owner. Here we are trying to increase diesel's share of the marketplace, and Volkswagen, the largest seller of diesel vehicles, is actively circumventing emissions regulations and creating a very negative news day for diesels.

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
Old September 18th, 2015, 11:55   #56
evoblade
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454k30 View Post
Wow! I'm just reading this news now. Forgive my ignorance (I live in an non-emissions area), how would a car "know" it was being tested?
Maybe if there was a device detected plugged into the OBD2 port. When I was in Indiana, our "emissions" test consisted of plugging a computer into the OBD2 port. I assume it was checking for emissions related error codes. There were no tailpipe checks.

2009 Jetta TDI, 6sp MT, white with tan/black interior, HPFP failures at 167k and 190k miles, DMF to SMF conversion at 186k miles (failure). Now in my garage getting surgery
2011 Jetta Sportwagon TDI, moon roof, DSG, Toffee Brown with tan/black interior. (VW bought this one back)
Old September 18th, 2015, 11:56   #57
mk3
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46.4 lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhinsc View Post
After further reading the EPA letter, I wonder why they didn't put a "stop sales" order out for VW TDI's until the software fix was applied?
because in the big picture it's not that serious. Was there a stop sales order for the Toyotas ? The Boeing Dreamliner was allowed to fly without finding root cause for the battery failures. They just put an exhaust pipe to exit the plane in case the batteries smoked and built heavier containment for the fire.

I take emissions seriously and I do think VW should git stiff punishment. I just do not see a need to halt selling of cars.
01 Passat V6 AUTO(221k mi) - handed down : )
Old September 18th, 2015, 11:56   #58
evoblade
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeDubTDI View Post
This is embarrassing as a VW owner, but more importantly as a diesel owner. Here we are trying to increase diesel's share of the marketplace, and Volkswagen, the largest seller of diesel vehicles, is actively circumventing emissions regulations and creating a very negative news day for diesels.

Yeah I'm kinda pissed about it too.

2009 Jetta TDI, 6sp MT, white with tan/black interior, HPFP failures at 167k and 190k miles, DMF to SMF conversion at 186k miles (failure). Now in my garage getting surgery
2011 Jetta Sportwagon TDI, moon roof, DSG, Toffee Brown with tan/black interior. (VW bought this one back)
Old September 18th, 2015, 11:56   #59
dubStrom
Veteran Member

Default other auto manufacturers...

I'll bet this is a factor in Subaru's boxer 4 diesel about face a few years ago, and Mazda's delay with the SkyActiv D models (the engine is featured on the USA Mazda website!).

Maybe they had to emasculate the performance and fuel economy to comply, and felt diesel no longer had any advantage.

Also, you wonder if they suspected VW, or just felt like they were inferior engineers since they could not get the numbers VW has been getting?

Imagine the meetings and decisions getting made at VW right now! Scary time for engineers, regardless of complicity!
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=472257
Old September 18th, 2015, 11:56   #60
learningneverends

My 2011 is 5 years old this month which means in Delaware I am due for my first(not at dealer) emissions test and registration. When purchased new the first registration(at dealer) is good for 5 years and no inspection or emissions is needed. I should go have it done ASAP before any government action is taken. Otherwise I may be forced to have some type of software update pre inspection/emissions test. I am betting the update will include my engine life being shortened by reburning exhaust. 'Clean diesel'. . Haha. No such thing may be true.

Last edited by learningneverends; September 18th, 2015 at 11:58.
Closed Thread