29 Palms,CA to Jacksonville,NC 27may2013

1.9glstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat waggon BHW PD
My instructor stint at the beautiful (not really) ungodly Hot during the day and frigidly cold at night(Really) 29 palms McAgcc(Marine corps air ground combat Center) where do they come up with this stuff? Will be coming to an end on 27th of may. I will be heading back to NC and was looking for input for my trip back I took 40 most of the way here so just looking for suggestions for the trip back. I am hoping to see a brother I haven't seen in 5 years in New mexico on my way back and i have family in Oklahoma and Texas so i can kinda stop where ever and i have way too may leave days on the book so i am up for a lil off the beaten path stuff i would like to stop and see the petrified forest and maybe shoot down to roswell and see what I can find who knows.

Thanks guys
Robert

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
You may enjoy Carlsbad Caverns in NM and the Grand Canyon.

I always look for an excuse to stop and fish for a day with a guide between New Orleans and Slidell (Shell Beach.) Though this is expensive, I have always had a great time. Ask for particulars if you take the I-10 route.

If you go through the Denver area, let me know, and I will see if my twin brother (an ex Jarhead) will give you a floor to sleep on. Though he is such a horrible housekeeper, I would keep my options open if I were you.

1.9glstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh yea I may take the carlsbad caverns. I forgot about those. I really do want to go threw new orleans I haven't been near the strip humm may be time. Yea I am a Navy corpsmen stationed with a grunt unit so the bastard step child of the Navy and the shunned red head of the Corps haha. Thank's Dan ill let you know if i throw the 10 on the route

Robert

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Robert,

How much travel time do you have? Where in New Mexico is your brother? Old Route 66 went thru Flagstaff, Albequerque, and Oaklahoma City before turing north. If you go south, Tombstone Az is worth a day trip out of the way. Carlsbad Caverns are worth a tour (done it twice). Interstate 10 takes you thru San Antonio, but can not say very much nice about the trip along I-10.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
From Carlsbad you can go southeast on US-285 to take I-20 through Odessa, Midland, Ft. Worth, Dallas, to Shreveport. There you get on I-49 and go southeast to Lafayette where you have a choice of routes to New Orleans: I-10 through Baton Rouge or US-90.

1.9glstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
John, I will have up to 10 day's, He is in JAL?
romad, Thanks for the tip. I know cutting across texas to far south takes a while to get across haha. I went 40 on my way west so just threw the hat up by amarillo.

Robert

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Jal, NM is only 90 miles from the Carlsbad Caverns, so that is good for you.

We spent 3 nights at the Magnolia Hotel in Downtown Dallas. Great Place! Neat History too. The hotel is the old headquarters of the Magnolia Petroleum Company. The Flying Red Horse (Pegasus) we all associate with Mobile Oil was originally part of the Magnolia Petroleum Company. And Pegasus is still atop the Magnolia Hotel.

The Mail Guy

TDI
2011 Jetta DSG
Oh yea I may take the carlsbad caverns. I forgot about those. I really do want to go threw new orleans I haven't been near the strip humm may be time. Yea I am a Navy corpsmen stationed with a grunt unit so the bastard step child of the Navy and the shunned red head of the Corps haha. Thank's Dan ill let you know if i throw the 10 on the route

Robert

I don't want to hijack this thread but,
A Navy corpsman in a grunt unit has as much right to wear the EGA as anyone who has ever walked off the grinder at Parris Island .
Hope you have a safe trip.
Semper Fi

1.9glstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you The Mail Guy, Yea I have been with 1/8 on two pumps, both afghanistan. Cuba, haiti, djibouti, karazakstan. But twith the grunts has been the best made some good friends and done some dumb **** lol

Robert
Semper Fortis

Bugwithaltitude

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Blue Lagoon New Beetle GLS TDI
If you want to hang out with some Beetles and their drivers who love all VWs:D come check out our national Beetle GTG June 6-9 in Roswell. We'll have a night show, glow parade, and lots of other fun activities each day.

semper fidelis from a granddaughter of a WWII Marine

1.9glstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you Daisynme, I will be on the east coast by the date your get together.(I miss all the good stuff) Sound's like a really good time and thank you again for the.

Robert
A big Thank you to you and your Grandfather.
Semper Fortis