can't put the timing belt back on the tensioner?

LOUISTDI

TDI
2000 jetta tdi
did I make a mistake by removing the timing belt off the tensioner to get more slack,I wanted to reajust the camshaft sproket because it jumped 1 thoot.now it's a PITA to get it back on.
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
Just relock the cam, crank and IP at TDC, pop the cam pulley off the cam, loosen the IP bolts, restring the belt, put cam pulley back on and finger tighten the cam pulley bolt, back it off 1/2 turn, set the tension properly on the tensioner and lock it down, tighten the IP bolts, tighten the cam pulley bolt to 38 ft lbs then rotate the engine by hand 2 revolutions after removing the locks from the crank, IP, and cam.

Then start it and check timing with VCDS.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Louis, you must ask why the belt 'jumped one tooth'. There is a reason.
Merely putting the belt on the engine with the cam lined up is not going to prevent this from happening again.
Decouvrir porquoi, and fait les reparations. Discover why, and make the repairs.

LOUISTDI

TDI
2000 jetta tdi
it jumped because the motor felt on the timing belt side (the engine mount bracket got loose and broke then the motor felt and the bracket was in contact with the timing belt/tensioner. I managed to rebolt it but when I restarted it sounded no good(timing).but I'm almost finish I just wanted to put the tensioner back with the belt and rotate the engine and check TDC and start it(crossed fingers!)

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Remove the cam pulley, install tensioner, reset cam timing...

Your making it more difficult than it needs to be trying to rush this by not removing the cam pulley.

I can reset the crank, cam and pump timing in under 10 minutes...

REMOVE THE PULLEY!

Also, if the timing actually slipped, don't bother you smacked the valves and the head will have to come off.

Before you get to carried away, do a compression check ASAP once you get the belt on.

Also inspect all lifters for a small upward protruding circular pattern at the middle of the lifter, if there are ANY upward circular impact marks, all valves and lifers will require replacement.

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Are you 100% sure that it jumped time? And, if so, are you 100% it only jumped one tooth?

If it jumped more than one tooth, there is a good chance that all 4 exhaust valves have kissed their respective piston............so, you will definitely need to consider what Drivbiwire has suggested.

Also, even if there was valve to piston contact, and you put the belt back on right, there will be a false sense that everything is okay. Then in less than 2500 miles one or more valve lifters (cam followers) will crash to pieces and destroy the head and maybe more! And, if you are lucky no valve will break during those 2500 miles .......... the lifters (the four exhaust) will be damaged if there was contact!

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Andy is right, with one caveat. If the lifters show no damage, put the belt on and buy a lottery ticket. Because you got VERY LUCKY.

Wipe the oil off of the tops of the cam followers. If any cam follower shows obvious damage, you have valve damage. The head of the valve can crack, especially the exhaust, which are chrome-moly stems welded to an inconel head. If the valve strikes the piston, the weld joint can crack. Then the crack advances across the stem until the head of the valve breaks off. Then you have a real mess to contend with.

Don't take chances. Do it right or you may pay the consequences.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Sounds like you are very close to over your head on the learning curve.
Go over to myturbodiesel and read the how to on changing the timing belt till you understand it.

Like Franko6 said, you need to do a close visual inspection of the top of the lifters to make sure some pistons didn't contact some valves driving some lifters into the cam. To see the top of the lifters properly, you really need to remove the cam.

From what you said happened, I would probably just remove the head and look for damage which would be evidence of any of the valves contacting any of the pistons.

I bought a lottery ticket once, and when it was a dud, they would not refund my money. Never again.:D

Last edited:

Conan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI
I bought a lottery ticket once, and when it was a dud, they would not refund my money. Never again.:D
Where's your sense of persistence? After all, if at first you get bad results, just keep doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results. What are the odds of not winning the lottery several times? :p