2010 Golf TDI with HPFP Failure

saaronson

TDI
Golf 2010 TDI
Not a new topic, but I'm writing to report that my 2010 VW Golf TDI with 3,500 miles just returned from a 3 1/2 week visit to the VW service center. Nobody gave me an official diagnosis but I know from reading online that the issue was HPFP failure as I had the same symptoms, heard from the dealer that metal fregments destroyed the fuel system and was told that my diesel tank tested clean of gasoline.

VW covered the repairs under warranty and offered me $1000 hush $ instead of honoring my request for a new car OR an extended warranty. This has been a terrible experience made worse by VW not being honest with their customers, pretending this was a unique situation. When the class action is filed, let me know please.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
No paper work what so ever? Dealer name?

and who says, 2010's aren't affected.

Claudio

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta SW
Not a new topic, but I'm writing to report that my 2010 VW Golf TDI with 3,500 miles just returned from a 3 1/2 week visit to the VW service center. Nobody gave me an official diagnosis but I know from reading online that the issue was HPFP failure as I had the same symptoms, heard from the dealer that metal fregments destroyed the fuel system and was told that my diesel tank tested clean of gasoline.

VW covered the repairs under warranty and offered me $1000 hush $ instead of honoring my request for a new car OR an extended warranty. This has been a terrible experience made worse by VW not being honest with their customers, pretending this was a unique situation. When the class action is filed, let me know please.
and you have accepted $1000 instead of a new car????????

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta

Be realistic. They must keep this little problem quiet cuz it's gonna cost 'em a bundle once they receive the court's decision against them ;)

Ohh, welcome aboard! And thanks for sharing your story.

GTIDan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Candy White Jetta, DSG
BS are you telling us the VW actually gave you money to keep your mouth shut? and you took the bribe? BS. They wanted to keep this TERRIBLE problem a secret so they wouldn't even confirm what the problem was.........BS,......... if you guys believe this I have some basement apartments for sale over on the beach. BS.

If my dealer actually did what you CLAIM your dealer did I would call consumer affairs and dirtbag the place.....right now!!!

How about you posting copies of your repair paperwork and maybe, just maybe I might kinda believe you. Give us the name of the dealer, location, etc.

Last edited:

Claudio

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta SW
BS are you telling us the VW actually gave you money to keep your mouth shut? and you took the bribe? BS. They wanted to keep this TERRIBLE problem a secret so they wouldn't even confirm what the problem was.........BS,......... if you guys believe this I have some basement apartments for sale over on the beach. BS.

If my dealer actually did what you CLAIM your dealer did I would call consumer affairs and dirtbag the place.....right now!!!

How about you posting copies of your repair paperwork and maybe, just maybe I might kinda believe you. Give us the name of the dealer, location, etc.
he said that they offered him the money instead of a new car or extended warranty

Capacitor

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf, 2009 Jetta DSG Auto
I call BS.

it wasnt HPFP it was bad fuel, if it even happened, which I doubt

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
Saaronson; Welcome to Fred's.

Glad to read that VW's warranty took care of your problem and did not give you a run-around. Please do not take offense at some of the above comments, or others that may follow. The subject of HPFP failures are a volatile topic here. Some refuse to accept that the actually occur.

If you have not already done so please post your info here or PM it to Silver02 so that it maybe added to the list. Any and all facts would be greatly appreciated.

Again, welcome to Fred's & hope the next 300k miles are trouble free.

PaulGiz

Veteran Member
TDI
None any more. My heart couldn't take it.
OMG people. Where did the op say the dealer didn't give him any paperwork?
saaronson said:
Nobody gave me an official diagnosis but I know from reading online that the issue was HPFP failure as I had the same symptoms, heard from the dealer that metal fregments destroyed the fuel system and was told that my diesel tank tested clean of gasoline.
No official diagnosis? Paperwork in invisible ink?
I don't doubt that some HPFP failures have been due to either a design weakness or bad pumps getting out. I just find it odd that as the "lore of the HPFP" has spread, the accounts get sketchier and sketchier. People join forums just to talk about the horror, but don't sound credible. Don't mean to impugn everybody who has suffered, but this is sounding more and more like ginned up baloney to me.
Second one in a week that just doesn't pass the smell test.
P.

saaronson

TDI
Golf 2010 TDI
I posted on this board simply to share the experience I had with my brand new car. I couldn't care less if anyone doubts what I had to say as after all, this is the Internet and there's a lot of false info out there.

To answer some questions, I do have paperwork showing everything that was replaced - fuel tank, pressure sensors, FUEL PUMP etc. The dealer has not responded to my request for an official diagnosis and I wouldn't be surprised if VW pressured them not to. My experience with the dealer was fine - they seemed interested in fixing my car but didn't really seem to know what the problem was and had to involve VW corp. for guidance.

So not being an auto expert, my theory of HPFP failure is only a guess that seems logical to me after 1) hearing what the dealer found when they opened up the car and 2) reading forums like this one. Could easily be something else but my gut tells me not.

Btw, corp. offered the $1000, not the dealer.

LITTLE-LARRY

TDI
2010 JSW
Don't mean to impugn everybody who has suffered, but this is sounding more and more like ginned up baloney to me.
Second one in a week that just doesn't pass the smell test.
P.
IIRC,there were 4 or 5 within a short time in June or July. Probably just ALL baloney though.

If I were the OP I'd scan my paperwork and post it here just to watch you eat crow.
LARRY

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
OP is a troll and full of BS

WEC4104

TDI
-
I also have my doubts about the whole story, too. So until the repair sheet scan gets posted I'll remain a skeptic.

Of course the $1000 "hush money" is the most unique twist of his post. Interesting choice of words. Typically a corporation like VW resists handing out checks like that to keep a situation quiet. No news spreads faster than somebody handing out free money. More than likely, IF a check was actually provided, it was a reimbursement for rental car or other expenses while the customer was without their own for 3+ weeks. If VW was actually intending this as hush money, I would guess the customer would have been handed a legal document to sign stating that "by accepting this settlement you agree to not seek additional compensation or bring suit against VW for matters related to this repair" .... and then in small print it would add a clause stating that you "are not to discuss the terms of this settlement with others".

Apparently no document like this was ever signed (or the OP is violating the terms).

Nope, I'm thinking the $1K was an expense reimbursement, ...or it never really existed.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
I also have my doubts about the whole story, too. So until the repair sheet scan gets posted I'll remain a skeptic.

Of course the $1000 "hush money" is the most unique twist of his post. Interesting choice of words. Typically a corporation like VW resists handing out checks like that to keep a situation quiet. No news spreads faster than somebody handing out free money. More than likely, IF a check was actually provided, it was a reimbursement for rental car or other expenses while the customer was without their own for 3+ weeks. If VW was actually intending this as hush money, I would guess the customer would have been handed a legal document to sign stating that "by accepting this settlement you agree to not seek additional compensation or bring suit against VW for matters related to this repair" .... and then in small print it would add a clause stating that you "are not to discuss the terms of this settlement with others".

Apparently no document like this was ever signed (or the OP is violating the terms).

Nope, I'm thinking the $1K was an expense reimbursement, ...or it never really existed.
When my '09 was in the shop for 4 weeks awaiting a new ECU, VW provided me with a loaner/rental which was paid for by the warranty. All I had to do was let them swipe my CC for a deposit in case there was any damage.

Last edited:

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
I would think that there would be some small percentage of failures in this part since the initial start would have some percentage of damage in close tolerance fittment of parts. This small percentage would be normal for any mass produced parts. The contammination of the fuel system is an unfortunate byproduct, but managable if the parts are cleaned/replaced.
The damage would probably an "infancy" failure and if the parts run past this period it would be unlikly to have future problems.
Bosch and VW are not new to the game and contrary to popular belief are pretty reputable. Now then some dealers still don't know how to insure the correct oil is used int the CR engines yet, but they are getting there (maybe).

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Every time I've been to the dealer or an independent shop, the paperwork ALWAYS has a diagnosis on it. ALWAYS.

OP: What does your paperwork say on it?

I can see why this particular story has some doubtful elements to it. The no diagnosis and the $1K in "Hush Money" is definitely unorthodox. Especially if the money was actually received it as a hush payment, we probably shouldn't be hearing about it..

I surely hope that this and the other recent HPFP failure incident recap aren't the start of a dangerous "Doubt first, unless we see pictures or scans of paperwork" trend. That's surely no way to shed honest light on the issue or get an idea if falures are occuring more / less / etc..

To the OP: What kind of fuel were you buying?

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
Wow Spanish inquisition! Maybe the OP doesn't want to post anything for fear it will get back to him? How about this: The OP can PM me for my email address and send me a picture of the VW invoice, and then upon verifying that this is a true failure, not a troll, I'll add this failure to the list? And yes, I'll treat anything I receive in absolute confidence.

Given that there are people here willing to try anything to stir up crap here, threatening the integrity of this community, maybe this is a step I should add in for the list in general? But then again, that would be giving in to the sh*t disturbing...