What did you do to your MK7 today?

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
It’s funny how VW puts functionality that is not turned on in so many of its cars. I remember having to use VCDS to activate the rain sensor in my 2012 NMS. And now to find out that Sport steering (which I can activate at the touch of a button on my GTI) is embedded in the GSW.
Silly VW.
Yeah man, there is so much buried in there and silly little things. Case in point, I wonder JUST how much they saved by not putting the sensor for low washer fluid in the S model cars or the heated sprayer nozzles??? I activated low fluid sensing just to see what it would do and yeah, I can monitor but since the sensor doesn't seem to be in the reservoir, it just things is always empty. OR how about the "alarm" function that has also always been active on the cars that we have to manually activate in our GSW. :cool:

Last edited:

goes2fast

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GolfS, GTI 18s, H&R springs, Stage 2
My wife's Jetta was recalled because they forgot to activate the rain sensing wipers?

dieselpwr

TDI
04 GOLF PD, 15 GSW SEL TDI
Picked it up on Monday. SEL with lighting package. CPO w 23k miles. I can't believe how much nicer it is than my mkIV. The DSG is nice but i still prefer driving a manual so the MKIV is staying atound for awhile.

So far added LEDs to the reverse lights and trunk light. Made some mods with OBDeleven and replaced fog bulbs with yellow ones. Might look into a mild drop.

Only pic so far when I picked her up.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Can you please fix the picture to something smaller that doesn't blow the margins out on this page? You can post a link to the huge image if needed. We all love high rez pics but when posted makes the thread hard to read without constantly scrolling back and forth.

dieselpwr

TDI
04 GOLF PD, 15 GSW SEL TDI
Can you please fix the picture to something smaller that doesn't blow the margins out on this page? You can post a link to the huge image if needed. We all love high rez pics but when posted makes the thread hard to read without constantly scrolling back and forth.
I see what you mean. First time using imgur to host a pic. On vwvortex is automatically resized it.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Picked it up on Monday. SEL with lighting package. CPO w 23k miles. I can't believe how much nicer it is than my mkIV. The DSG is nice but i still prefer driving a manual so the MKIV is staying atound for awhile.

So far added LEDs to the reverse lights and trunk light. Made some mods with OBDeleven and replaced fog bulbs with yellow ones. Might look into a mild drop.

Only pic so far when I picked her up.

https://i.imgur.com/4JxUvnw.jpg
Here’s an Imgur tip: add a lowercase L before the “.jpg” and you get a forum-safe size. Great looking car:

nkgagne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagen 6M, 2006 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Bought it!

Emissions buyback car. 15 Golf Sportwagon Trendline 6 speed manual (Canadian S trim equivalent). 48,000 km on it but you’d never know it. Black paint - not my first choice of colour but it was too good to pass up. A freshly waxed black car does look sexy, but the rest of the time it just looks extra-dirty.

Now I just need to pick up some 5x112 steelies, a new skid plate, and some floor liners (stupid winter...)

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Changed to snow tires [just in time] and installed the front license plate. I'd put on the lip guard for the wagon door last week as well.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017

Installed door protector strips and side TDI markers. Put on a protector for the rear bumper and my only sticker I allow on the car, "Watch out for Bicycles." Pics when I get that arranged.

Last edited:

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Last weekend I Attended the West MI TDI GTG near Grand rapids with my 16 year old son Kenneth. prior to the Trip I adjusted my MFA mileage up to 108% so that my MFA will read almost the same as my hand calculations. So far so good on that one.

After much persuasion by the likes of Peter from IDParts and discussing what changes to expect from Jeff at Rocketchip, I caved and had the RC1 DSG Tune done to my transmission.

I have been driving it for a week now and have noticed that it no longer forces itself into the highest possible gear for the given speed traveled. The car shifts now much more like I would if it were a manual transmission car, which is what I have had for the past 14 years or so..

6th gear will not automatically engage until I have gone over 62mph, and all gears will stay until something like 2500 RPM in D mode I can always use my flappy paddles if I am on a straight flat run if I choose to engage 6th gear at a lower speed. No more lugging along in 6th gear at 45mph and 12-1500 RPM.

In S Mode the gears will stay until over 3k RPM (havent had many chances to play with S mode yet, but I plan to :)

Overall I am impressed with the changes, and look forward to seeing if my tank average mileage improves from less regens happening due to less lugging (which forms soot for the DPF to capture due to low boost levels). The car has done one Regen since the GTG that I have seen on my Ultragauge. I figure I am due for another one soon but may be suprised.

If you can get the RC1 DSG tune, I recommend it.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Aaron, did you get the transmission tune only, or did you have the engine tuned as well?

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
Last weekend I Attended the West MI TDI GTG near Grand rapids with my 16 year old son Kenneth. prior to the Trip I adjusted my MFA mileage up to 108% so that my MFA will read almost the same as my hand calculations. So far so good on that one.
After much persuasion by the likes of Peter from IDParts and discussing what changes to expect from Jeff at Rocketchip, I caved and had the RC1 DSG Tune done to my transmission.
I have been driving it for a week now and have noticed that it no longer forces itself into the highest possible gear for the given speed traveled. The car shifts now much more like I would if it were a manual transmission car, which is what I have had for the past 14 years or so..
6th gear will not automatically engage until I have gone over 62mph, and all gears will stay until something like 2500 RPM in D mode I can always use my flappy paddles if I am on a straight flat run if I choose to engage 6th gear at a lower speed. No more lugging along in 6th gear at 45mph and 12-1500 RPM.
In S Mode the gears will stay until over 3k RPM (havent had many chances to play with S mode yet, but I plan to :)
Overall I am impressed with the changes, and look forward to seeing if my tank average mileage improves from less regens happening due to less lugging (which forms soot for the DPF to capture due to low boost levels). The car has done one Regen since the GTG that I have seen on my Ultragauge. I figure I am due for another one soon but may be suprised.
Jeff is a great guy and knows his stuff! If only he was closer or could deliver tunes remotely. ?

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I've done the same thing on my TSI (107%). I have yet to do it with my wife's TSI wagon. I like the MFD to give the truth!

Darth_Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW, DSG
I've done the same thing on my TSI (107%). I have yet to do it with my wife's TSI wagon. I like the MFD to give the truth!
My dash says 50.1 mpg and fuelly tells me 40.5 mpg. It seems like if I did 50.1 miles per 1.08 gallons I would get 46.4 mpg. It's closer but I think I would need 1.23 gallons to make it work out with reality. That would be 123%.

Is my math right? I am about to adjust it on VCDS but I want to read more about it before I mess something up. I'm hesitant to change something I don't understand because I made things worse too many times in the past.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M

I use Fuelly to track all of my tank info and was able to use about 12 tankfuls to determine that my MFA MPG since refuel was about 9-9.5% too high compared to miles/gallons average for the same tanks.

since I can only increase it to 108% I did that to get the MFA instant and trip MPGs to read closer to real world numbers. I only have a couple of tankfuls since last weekend to compare but the MFA MPG per tank is now MUCH closer than it used to be so I am happy.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
In my case the error was pretty consistently 0.4 L/100 km, on averages of around 6.0 L/100 km. Note that the scaling factor works on fuel consumption (L/100 km), and not mpg; so in my case the error was 6.7%, which I rounded to 7%.

However if I use MPG, MFD gives 39.8 mpg whereas true is 37 mpg, so in MPG the MFD is reading 7.6% high, and so if I used 8%, it would cause the MFD to read too high.

So to get it bang on, use consumption and not mpg for the correction.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
37/39.8=.9296 1-.9296=.0703. Seems like mpg is closer to me. Almost right at 7%.
7% is pretty close for me, using consumption not mpg, which is fine I work in L/100 km all the time, I prefer consumption to mpg (the old aviator in me). I wonder why VW didn't just program it right to begin with?

I see the error is pretty similar whether one drives a VW gasser or diesel.

Darth_Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW, DSG
In my case the error was pretty consistently 0.4 L/100 km, on averages of around 6.0 L/100 km. Note that the scaling factor works on fuel consumption (L/100 km), and not mpg; so in my case the error was 6.7%, which I rounded to 7%.
However if I use MPG, MFD gives 39.8 mpg whereas true is 37 mpg, so in MPG the MFD is reading 7.6% high, and so if I used 8%, it would cause the MFD to read too high.
So to get it bang on, use consumption and not mpg for the correction.
I tried to convert my numbers and then adjust but I'm finding the exact same thing. 50.1 mpg is 4.6949 L/100km. If I adjust by 7% I get 5.0235 L/100km which is 46.822 mpg. It seems like consumption and mpg is the exact same so I'm not sure how PlaneCrazy is able to make his work.

My post above says:
My dash says 50.1 mpg and fuelly tells me 40.5 mpg. It seems like if I did 50.1 miles per 1.08 gallons I would get 46.4 mpg. It's closer but I think I would need 1.23 gallons to make it work out with reality. That would be 123%.
If I change it to l/100km, I get the same adjustment as I show in my old post. I expected 46.4 mpg for an 8% adjustment. I see 46.8 mpg for a 7% adjustment. It seems like my math works out. I find by hand that on multiple tanks my car is off by 23%. It is tuned with a Kerma tune. Otherwise I don't understand how it could be so off.

Larry@FixMyVW

TDI
2015 GSW 6MT
I looked at those clutches briefly before going with DC stage 3. How is the engagement height and pedal effort? Are you running a fluidampr as well assuming it's a SMF?
The engagement is just like stock and the pedal effort is slightly firmer than stock. It is fantastic! I've had a bunch of people drive it, not mentioning it had a clutch other than stock, and they didn't even notice. It is a SMF, and I am not running a Fluidampr.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
The engagement is just like stock and the pedal effort is slightly firmer than stock. It is fantastic! I've had a bunch of people drive it, not mentioning it had a clutch other than stock, and they didn't even notice. It is a SMF, and I am not running a Fluidampr.
Any chatter from the gears at idle or at low RPM driving?

sportwagen3

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SE
Lol funny thing is I adjusted mine to 115% and it's still over reporting by at least 1-1.5mpg.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
... prior to the Trip I adjusted my MFA mileage up to 108% so that my MFA will read almost the same as my hand calculations. So far so good on that one.
I assume this is a VCDS tweak(?) Please share how-to.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
As a follow up to this, does the RC tranny tune add the Gear indicator while in D and S modes? After driving in D mode for the first 2 months, then S mode exclusively for the last month and coming out of a 09 Jetta TDI with DSG tune I've come to a conclusion..... Our MY15 DSG programming is like a watered down program from the MK5/MK6 DSG. The D mode is pretty terrible for keeping us in the proper RPM range but great and keeping revs down AND that damn 6th gear all the time. It's an "improved" (by VW standards) D mode. Now our S mode feels much closer to a blend of the old S mode and D mode. It's not nearly as aggressive as the old S mode so it's not as bad on the economy as the old program, shifts around 2k, keeps us out of 6th until it's really needed (higher speeds and revs) and just feels right. It's almost like the MK5 DSG tunes regular D mode which was a YUGE improvement over the stock DSG tune.

In short (kind of), the MK7 TDI DSG D and S modes have been "improved" for economy with D being more terrible, in general, and S mode being more better than the MK5/6 DSG programs. I don't know what the clamping force (tq) numbers are now (if you know, please share) but I feel like this new DSG programming could possibly enable us to forgo DSG tunes that, in the past, were truly needed to maximize the ECU tune performance without the tranny balking at the applied torque from the tune.

I have found driving in S has not, in any meaningful manner, affected my mileage AND it's a much more pleasurable, lug free experience. :D If you DSG guys haven't tried it, go for it on your next couple tanks and see how it does for you.

*One day I'll have my ECU and DSG tunes again.... one day. :cool:

Last edited: