If you are considering buyback which cars are you looking at as replacements?

Tony45

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI 2-door 6MT (BB - 4/18)
Maybe still a Diesel in my future!

Planning to turn-in the TDI around Dec ‘18. By then will test drive the Mazda CX-5 Diesel. If I can’t stomach SUVs (likely), will go with ‘19 Golf GTI Autobahn.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Planning to turn-in the TDI around Dec ‘18. By then will test drive the Mazda CX-5 Diesel. If I can’t stomach SUVs (likely), will go with ‘19 Golf GTI Autobahn.

We're still assuming that the CX-5 diesel is actually going to materialize here in the U.S. Mazda has been long on talk of importing a diesel for years, but short on delivery. Yeah, and there's the SUV thing. Doubt I'd be able to get around that.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I was going to get the fix but looks like my plans have been changed. My mom has a ford escape she needs to get rid of. We will either take that or let my daughter have it and take back the 03 Passat. We're now leaning towards putting the buyback money and my 07 canyon into a 2017 Ram 1500 ecodiesel. Sticker on it is about the same price as the new canyon diesel for a much nicer truck. We're also looking at travel trailers for retirement and this would fit the bill as a tow vehicle for most any trailer we've looked at.

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II
I think you only have until Sept 2018 to sell it back or fix it. Don't miss that deadline.

Tony45

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI 2-door 6MT (BB - 4/18)
I think you only have until Sept 2018 to sell it back or fix it. Don't miss that deadline.
End of September is when you have all paper submitted to VW (already done that and have offer from VW). But, you have until end of December to physically turn-in the car to VW. I plan to set my appointment (for Dec. turn-in) sometime in September ‘18.

timbo489

TDI
Q5
Turned in 2012 Touareg with 135K on the odo. "Bought" 2016 Q5 with 18K for even money that had been used as a dealer loaner. Good upgrade for me.

TurnOne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI 6MT
Anyone gone from a Golf TDI to Golf R?
I strongly considered it, but too much of a drop in MPG for me and too much more $. Lack of spare tire also bugs me on a DD.

Just bought a 2.8k mile 2017 GTI autobahn with driver assistance package for $26250. Submitted paperwork, got approval for buyback at 25.9k on my 75k mile TDI SEL w/ lighting package.

GTI is probably the best all around car. Got 38 mpg on drive home (500 miles). Not too shabby.

It's weird being so similar but so different. No regrets so far.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Still pondering my choices. Keeping is one option. A gasoline wagon is another.

It seems the Golf Alltrack follows a similar model policy as the original (-2014) TDI, i.e. the S model already has heated Leatherette front seats, you can get it with DSG, etc, whereas the Sportwagen S model is more like the decontented 2015+ Golf (no option to add leatherette seats, heated seats or DSG to S model).

Or am I wrong, and there are hidden options for the Sportwagen that would allow to get the standard TDI options I'm used to for a wagon without panorama roof?

toneman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW
Or am I wrong, and there are hidden options for the Sportwagen that would allow to get the standard TDI options I'm used to for a wagon without panorama roof?
No chance. I like the idea of an Alltrack S with a manual tranny, heated seats and marakesh leatherette. I'm just not too excited about the extra complexity/cost/maintenance of 4motion that I don't really need.

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
I'm just not too excited about the extra complexity/cost/maintenance of 4motion that I don't really need.
That's a really minimal additional cost for maintenance; nor is it very complex. VW doesn't even recommend a service on the Haldex unit, but general perception is every 80k is fine unless you are really beating on it. ;)

toneman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW
That's a really minimal additional cost for maintenance; nor is it very complex. VW doesn't even recommend a service on the Haldex unit, but general perception is every 80k is fine unless you are really beating on it. ;)
I'll take your word given that you have an xdrive. Was considering used 328d wagon but worried about xdrive for same reasons.

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
Just picked up a 2018 Subaru outback limited.
It isn't nearly as fun to drive, but man, is it comfortable
Also just bought two 2018s. One for my wife and one for my mom. Indeed, most comfortable. 30 mpg all day long. Not bad for a gasser that size.

gcodori

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 NB TDI plus CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem.
Just purchased a 535d M Sport. Fantastic car. Little smaller in the back but more fun to drive - almost scary with its power.

Amazing tech in the car, despite being a 2014 (last gen model). I've never needed to read a manual before, but this thing is like driving a computer.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
I'll take your word given that you have an xdrive. Was considering used 328d wagon but worried about xdrive for same reasons.
:p

I had a 2008 R32 prior to that as well, so I know Haldex pretty well. None of them require a ton of maintenance. Haldex services are amazingly simple and wouldn't run more than ~$200ish outside a dealership.

There have been some reports of failed transfer cases on xDrive diesels; but so far it doesn't seem overly widespread. Mine's been solid so far, going on 30k miles since I bought it.

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
Just purchased a 535d M Sport. Fantastic car. Little smaller in the back but more fun to drive - almost scary with its power.

Amazing tech in the car, despite being a 2014 (last gen model). I've never needed to read a manual before, but this thing is like driving a computer.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Beautiful car! I wanted a 535d so badly after test-driving one, they are crazy with how much power they have available at almost any speed. :D

Come join out BMW hideaway! http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=416840

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,

Odd, I believe my service booklet states fluids changed out at 40K for both front/rear diffs and the haldex unit itself.

Also I'd hold of how complex it is until I have to shell out for the first repair out of warranty, nothing like a constant hydraulic pump working 24/7 waiting to engage and send power to the rear wheels.

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
Odd, I believe my service booklet states fluids changed out at 40K for both front/rear diffs and the haldex unit itself.
Interesting; older gen Haldex systems were "lifetime" fluid according to VW. Enthusiasts never trusted that obviously, but I don't know many who pushed it more than every 60-80k.

Also I'd hold of how complex it is until I have to shell out for the first repair out of warranty, nothing like a constant hydraulic pump working 24/7 waiting to engage and send power to the rear wheels.
Haldex systems have been in use for millions of miles since 1998, so they are pretty proven designs. That said, it is true the Gen V is a new beast so it may be different from a reliability standpoint, but I doubt it. Haldex is pretty known for over-engineering, as is Borg-Warner (now owns Haldex). ;)

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Just picked up a 2018 Subaru outback limited.

It isn't nearly as fun to drive, but man, is it comfortable
Also just bought two 2018s. One for my wife and one for my mom. Indeed, most comfortable. 30 mpg all day long. Not bad for a gasser that size.
I assume you cross-shopped the Outback against the Alltrack? What made you decide for the Outback in the end?

Consumer Reports has a comparison at https://www.consumerreports.org/wagons/subaru-outback-vs-volkswagen-golf-alltrack/ .
Seems like the constant velocity transmission on the Outback is not as bad as others, but the Alltrack comes with the DSG, which I really like on my Sportwagon and which (assuming similar pricing) would tilt the scale towards the Alltrack for me. But I have no Subaru experience.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
Just purchased a 535d M Sport........ I've never needed to read a manual before, but this thing is like driving a computer. QUOTE]

No doubt the BMW wagon would have been a fine replacement for my venerated 2013 VW JSW TDI 6M. Sure - a little less room, a lot less fuel efficiency - But - no doubt in my mind - a LOT more torque (but no 6M).

So I wimped out - after 4 diesels - a went gas.

And - wouldn't you know it - the initial fuel calc'd for this 1.4 liter turbo are just about 90% of my sorely missed JSW.............

I am very surprised.

On Fuelly, looking the the city versus highway offset......

ez

Teepke

TDI
'14 JSW & '15 GTI
And lo, the days of the Golf are numbered... After keeping a keen eye on prices and lying in wait for months, yesterday I put a deposit down on a CPO 2015 GTI MT SE 2-door that OTD will only be $400 out of pocket. Mission accomplished.

-tp

ps: In other threads: the Mrs is still very pleased with the "fixed" 14 JSW

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I assume you cross-shopped the Outback against the Alltrack? What made you decide for the Outback in the end?

Consumer Reports has a comparison at https://www.consumerreports.org/wagons/subaru-outback-vs-volkswagen-golf-alltrack/ .
Seems like the constant velocity transmission on the Outback is not as bad as others, but the Alltrack comes with the DSG, which I really like on my Sportwagon and which (assuming similar pricing) would tilt the scale towards the Alltrack for me. But I have no Subaru experience.

The thing that sold us on the Alltrack over the Outback was it felt they jacked the outback up too much and felt tippy w/ numb steering of a bloated SUV compared to the Alltrack, which keeps its wagon/midsized feel.

The Alltrack has the running gear of the R, same sway bars, but with less power, but more room in the boot.

Sure the Outback has more "check marks" the Alltrack doesn't but I have no regret.

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II
The thing that sold us on the Alltrack over the Outback was it felt they jacked the outback up too much and felt tippy w/ numb steering of a bloated SUV compared to the Alltrack, which keeps its wagon/midsized feel.

The Alltrack has the running gear of the R, same sway bars, but with less power, but more room in the boot.

Sure the Outback has more "check marks" the Alltrack doesn't but I have no regret.
Can you elaborate on your signature a little. I am curious to know more.

Hers: 2015 Passat SEL (NOS) w/ VW fix and Malone Stage 2.
His: 2017 Alltrack SE, waiting for TSI to TDI conversion kits to be released.

hhead

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Tdi SEL premium
Haven’t done my buyback yet. Waiting till sept.
But this deal came up so........
2017 Chevy SS Slipstream Blue
Pick it up Saturday.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Can you elaborate on your signature a little. I am curious to know more.

Hers: 2015 Passat SEL (NOS) w/ VW fix and Malone Stage 2.
His: 2017 Alltrack SE, waiting for TSI to TDI conversion kits to be released.

What else would you like to know?

The TSI to TDI conversion is just money that will never happen, I've read a couple guys that are working on sliding a 2.0t into the Alltrack with hopes of hitting 400-500HP, I just want to hit 35-40 MPG. Seeing the its on the MQB platform all it should take is a CURA form a '15 and should bolt right in.

As for the Wife's it's just a Passat with a phase 1 fix and a malone stage 2 tune.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
"Kits" wouldn't need to be released, crashed 2015 Golfs/Sportwagens are what would need to happen. (You'd also have to get a European transmission, probably a new rear end, and figure out where to put the urea tank (maybe adapt a 2015 Beetle's tank).)

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Can't do that in NC. Donor engine has to be the same year or newer than the receiving vehicle.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
"Kits" wouldn't need to be released, crashed 2015 Golfs/Sportwagens are what would need to happen. (You'd also have to get a European transmission, probably a new rear end, and figure out where to put the urea tank (maybe adapt a 2015 Beetle's tank).)

if I were sliding a TDI in the Alltrack, you think I'd be installing urea, hehehehe, so naive. Yet again, a giant pipe dream, but a man can dream can't he?

Not sure how the transmission would need to be swapped out, I thought MQB made everything plug and play. Alas if that's the case there are 2.0TDI Alltracks across the pond, hoping someone kits up all the components from crashed cars.

With yearly state inspections, I've never had someone check engine codes, maybe they pull all that info from the ODB port but there's so many illegal trucks on the road no one will care about a little wagon.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
The transmission gearing's still different - MQB doesn't mean that everything shares one transmission.

Wouldn't need to be an Alltrack to donate a transmission or rear end - could be a normal Golf 4Motion in Europe. Or, even, an Audi A3. Maybe a Passat, too.