2015 GSW Steering Wheel - Getting to know the car

ritsco

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI GSW SEL and 2006 Golf TDI GLS
Bear with me, I'm an old, and simple man.

So, every time I jump in my 2015 GSW TDI Auto (SEL if it makes a difference), the steering wheel fault light comes on (yellow) and the steering wheel shakes and makes a noise. The light goes out after a few seconds and stays off. Is this normal and why does it do that?

Thanks.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Bear with me, I'm an old, and simple man.
So, every time I jump in my 2015 GSW TDI Auto (SEL if it makes a difference), the steering wheel fault light comes on (yellow) and the steering wheel shakes and makes a noise. The light goes out after a few seconds and stays off. Is this normal and why does it do that?
Thanks.
It's normal, it's the electronic steering wheel lock disengaging on our KESSY cars. You can feel/hear it lock if you take your time getting out of the car as well.

TDIBone

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI
FYI: Mine also make a noise when it locks upon shutting the car off. I think the steering wheel warning light also comes on in red at that time.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
describes shakes? does it just move one ossification lasting less than 1/4 second? or does it move back and forth, back and forth, back and forth?

When you say "shakes" to me that sounds more than the wheel unlocking.

I hear the wheel lock as a slight "clunk" and the wheel moves ever so slightly. If you park on level ground with the wheel straight you won't even feel the wheel move when it unlocks?

ritsco

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI GSW SEL and 2006 Golf TDI GLS
Just a quick shimmy, like the 1/4 second you mentioned. Nothing big, I just didn't know why the light came on and the wheel shook.