AC fans cycle on and off when running

mikearvan

TDI
2004 golf tdi
I have a tricky one where the ac fans cycle on and off when the car is running; maybe a second or two interval. The fans stay on when ac is depressed yet clutch never engages. I looked around and couldn't find anything with this symptom so I'd appreciate someone's two cents!

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Check to see if your getting power to the a/c clutch..... if you do then check for an open on the a/c coil, if open then bad.
Is the coolant hot enough to cycle the fans on?

mikearvan

TDI
2004 golf tdi
No power to ac clutch and the fans cycle when on, hot or cold. They run constantly when ac button is depressed yet no clutch activation. Thanks for the quick reply! I hope to get this figured out before I die of corona!

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Check the wire going to the compressor near the plug, I’ve had 2 cars that one of the wires was broken, once fixed all was well.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Check fuses 3 and 8 above the battery and 5 inside the car.
I have conflicting info on fuses 3 and 8.

At least it doesn't cost anything to test them. :)