Open circuit to starter

kmak

TDI
jetta tdi 1998 red 268k miles
I have a 1998 jetta tdi and replaced the ignition switch. The switch would not work with a hot cabin temperature. The switch did not fix it . I traced everything down and I have an open circuit between the switch and the starter.
Does anyone have any idea where to start looking? The connection at the starter is good because I can jump the starter to make it work.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
No power from the ignition switch to the solenoid on the starter? Is there not a relay in there too somewhere? Have you been through the fuses?

kmak

TDI
I did not see a starterr relay in the Bentley manual. I will look again. There is not a starter fuse listed either.

Snizzbob

TDI
2015 Passat TDI DSG
Auto or standard trans? Could be the safety switch on the clutch pedal if its a standard, or if its an auto, it could be the switch in the shifter or on the trans. Not sure where it is on the auto.

Alchemist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 ALH Golf
There is no direct connection from the ignition switch to the starter. I'm not sure of the exact order, but the start signal from the ignition switch goes through the alarm and clutch or Park/Neutral switch to activate a relay. This relay is what actually operates the starter solenoid.

Paul

kmak

TDI
I disabled the switch on the clutch and made no difference. I will have to find the relay. Thank you for the help