Transmission and Differential Fluid Change

bdmartinek

TDI
2002 Jetta
Hi!

I just had the transmission fluid changed for an automatic transmission, 02 Jetta. I was planning to have the differential fluid changed as well, but the shop said that the differential wasn't separate from transmission. I thought that this was true of the manual transmissions but not of the automatic. Can anyone confirm this? If the differential fluid is separate from the transmission in an automatic, I want to make sure I have the fluid changed. It would need to be done.

Thanks for you help.

(If the differential fluid is separate, can someone please tell me how you locate and access it, and how much fluid it would take to change it over.)

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
it is most certainly separate....uses sythetic gear oil....you can use a pelo to suck it out through the speedo drive gear hole and refill using the same hole....years ago I working on a NB that had a chewed up speedo worm gear....when I called the dealership to find out what oil to use in the final drive they were adamant that it shared the autobox side fluid,....and how many years has VW been making the 01M?after a heated back and forth with the dealer tech I just gave up went to advance and got some mobil1 gear oil and all was happy.... and the kicker was the dealership tech actually called me back after consulting the service manual (imagine that) to let me know that the 01M did have separate gear oil for the final drive...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
Definately takes gear lube on diff side.

I do believe it's the same lube as used in manual gear boxes.

bdmartinek

TDI
2002 Jetta
Thanks for confirming that. (It's crazy that a dealer wouldn't know that the automatic takes separate fluid, but that's what this forum is for, right!)

I suppose I'll just take care of the fluid change myself, but I don't know where the "speedo drive gear hole" is located. Could someone give me a rough idea? Is there a cable that I would follow to get to it, or is it located near the transmission, front/ rear? Also, do I need a special tool to remove it or is it tricky to get to? And how much gear oil does it take? I don't have a Pelo, so would any generic pump from a auto parts store work?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
I should point out that I'm painfully aware of 3 01m failures due to the diff. Two in my car (the original that went 60k and the VW reman they installed under warranty that went 155k) and a dead Jetta I bought from another member.

I dream of something as simple as a valve body rebuild.

When the diff grenades usually the car wont move (even if dragged) one direction - in my cases reverse. The axles had to be removed every time.

Change the diff fluid!

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
Had my diff checked for the 1st time 170k+ miles. It was down about 1/2 so had it sucked out and refilled with synth 75-90.
Whew, so much for lifetime fluid!

bdmartinek

TDI
2002 Jetta
Thanks jcrews for the part # on the differential oil. That's some pricey oil. Is there really that much of a difference between what Volkswagen recommends and what you can get at an auto parts store?

Also, I need to get an oil extractor to do the job. I know that the Pela 6000 comes highly recommended but I wanted see if there are any other suggestions. Would Napa carry a comparable product at a better price?

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
I would use a high quality synthetic gear oil at 75W90. There aren't any brass synchros to deal with so GL5 is OK.

I bought a Moeller brand 5L unit at a west marine store many years ago, and it works very well. It think I paid about $60 for it.

bdmartinek

TDI
2002 Jetta
This is random for this thread, but, out of curiosity, how do the engine oils provided by IDparts.com rank in comparison to Mobil 1 TDT? Are they equivalent, is one better than the other, or is one preferred? What's the best oil on the market for a TDI? I haven't used idparts before, but it looks like a credible website. Has anyone had problems with them or would they recommend anyone else?

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta TDI Manual(performed 01M to 5-speed swap) - 183,000 miles and climbing!
Also, most of those diff covers leak/seep oil especially now with their age. Keep an eye out for any leaking on the cover gasket. It is a paper type gasket, and not available separate to my knowlege. Available only as part of a tranny rebuild kit from what I remember from my research. Also, I noticed a slight bump in FE when I changed mine to Mobil One 75w90 full synthetic. Good luck.