Coolant light blinking red

jam0238

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I have a 2002 VW Jetta TDI. My car recently started to have the coolant light come on blinking red and after a few miles the temperature gauge goes to red. My coolant reservoir keeps going dry. I've tried replacing the coolant sensor and thermostat with one from our parts car to rule it out. No luck. Any ideas?

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
You really need to find out why the reservoir is going dry. The thermostat and sensor won't do that. Or rather, both those items have o-ring seals, but you should be able to see a leak if it is happening there. There is a leak. Where is it? I can't tell as there is no one place that always leaks.

There are various methods for finding coolant leaks. Please search, and you will find.

Cheers,

PH

Last edited:

valvecrusher

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat, '00 Jetta
blinking red is -Coolant Level LOW-...

The car is working correctly.

Your issue SHOULD be - Where am I losing coolant?

jam0238

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I am just trying everything I can think of. I took the top hose off of the reservoir and blew air into it. The reservoir bubbled and the tank filled back up and as soon as air was stopped it went back down. Is this a sign of blockage? Or is something else going on? Thank you.

jam0238

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Yes. I am trying everything to figure out where the leak is. Just looking for some tips or pointers as I do not know where it is leaking from. Thank you

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Unfortunately, we can't see your car over the interwebs, so will not be of much help. :)

You have a leak... that's what the low coolant light is coming on... and there's really no way around getting the car up on blocks, pulling the belly pan, and having a gander, flashlight in hand.

Many many places it could be..no real "common spots". The coolant system is mostly black rubber hoses, generally 1 inch or bigger in diameter... anywhere rubber joins to metal or plastic is suspect, as are the rubber hoses themselves.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Is there passenger floorboard wet? Is there green visible anywhere, do you smell a sweet smell? What do the hoses look like?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Yup, if you can't find a leak otherwise the headgasket is also a suspect.

They can breach to the oil gallery (and make the oil foamy) but also straight to the combustion chamber (no effect on the oil); if so the usual sign is excess pressure in the coolant reservoir, particularly if the engine's been working hard.

jam0238

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Yup, if you can't find a leak otherwise the headgasket is also a suspect.
They can breach to the oil gallery (and make the oil foamy) but also straight to the combustion chamber (no effect on the oil); if so the usual sign is excess pressure in the coolant reservoir, particularly if the engine's been working hard.
I am definitely hoping it's not a blown head gasket. I am hoping that there is a blockage somewhere. No foam from the oil anywhere. I am not sure how to do a flush on the coolant system. I appreciate everyone's help.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Is there passenger floorboard wet? Is there green visible anywhere, do you smell a sweet smell?
You mean pink, right? :D

Does air escape from the overflow tank when you take the top off and the car is cool (sat overnight)? After the car has sat and cooled off, are the coolant hoses hard when you squeeze them? If you run your finger around the inside of the overflow bottle does it have soot on it? All are indicators of a failed head gasket.

jam0238

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Does air escape from the overflow tank when you take the top off and the car is cool (sat overnight)? After the car has sat and cooled off, are the coolant hoses hard when you squeeze them? If you run your finger around the inside of the overflow bottle does it have soot on it? All are indicators of a failed head gasket.
Yes it escapes. The hoses are easily squeezed. No soot. I don't know if maybe there is a radiator issue?

BuckeyeMan71

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta wagon
Do you see any spots under car where it’s leaking onto the ground? Also smell your oil if it smells sweet then it’s head gasket. Easier to run car for a minute or two then get out and check oil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon

Yes, to many vehicles in my mind. Pink red.
Bad hoses especially the little ones!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

jam0238

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
We just replaced the transmission and while we had it in the garage we cleaned the EGR. It looks a little messy as I cleaned it before it went back in. Also, I just tried to start it up. Hard to start and a nice white cloud of smoke came out. When we did put this car back together from the new transmission and EGR cleaning it rain amazing. Now I'm not sure what happened. Also, coolant is still leaking from somewhere. Could this all be related to the EGR cooler? If so, could I put a delete on it?

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
How did you clean the egr?

I am by no means an EGR expert but to everyone else who might know more about this. is it possible for an EGR to leak internally? And burn up.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

jam0238

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Update:
I decided to EGR delete it. While in there I replaced all the gaskets down to the turbo. I still have a leak. Coolant is going somewhere. Also when starting up, I have a nice cloud of white smoke from the exhaust and from under the hood. Also, while driving especially going up hills the coolant sensor light comes on. Any help would be appreciated

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Last edited:

BuckeyeMan71

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta wagon
Update:
I decided to EGR delete it. While in there I replaced all the gaskets down to the turbo. I still have a leak. Coolant is going somewhere. Also when starting up, I have a nice cloud of white smoke from the exhaust and from under the hood. Also, while driving especially going up hills the coolant sensor light comes on. Any help would be appreciated

99% of the time when you can’t see it leaking anywhere it’s your head gasket. At some point you’ll have to give up and face the fact that it’s your head gasket and quit spending money trying to fix what doesn’t need to be fixed and fix what needs to be fixed which is your head gasket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk