WANTED: 1999 - 2003 Jetta with bad engine

jakej78b

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Volkswagen Jetta TDI ALH 1.9
I recently wrecked my 2001 volkswagen jetta with an alh and a 5 speed manual. I loved it. The engine was and still is strong and running. I am looking for a car that is in decent condition body wise that I could transplant the engine into. I would prefer one that is already a 5 speed so then I won't have to do a lot of learning to convert one into a 5 speed, although I'm open to anything as I'm sure the gurus around here would provide guidance on my conversion journey if necessary. I don't care what color it is. Good body condition is preferred but as long as the car has no frame damage then it would be acceptable. Bonus if it is the green color because that's what I had before and all my doors are still in perfect condition if it has any door damage. I had a front-end collision so my hood was trashed along with the entire front clip and the radiator, the engine and everything back of that survived though.

I live in the Alamogordo, NM area but I would be willing to travel a few hours to get one if the price is right. :D

Thank you,
Jake

Last edited:

jakej78b

Veteran Member
TDI
Looks decent, but the salvage title has me a little concerned. I will contact the seller and see what that is about... I want to be sure that I have a good base to build upon if I go this route. I guess I need to be more vigorous with my search terms because I already tried AutoTempest with a 500mi radius but that didn't pop up... I suppose it's because I used "Volkswagen Jetta"... didn't think to try vw. Thanks for the find!

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Yeah, I didn't notice the salvage title...on a subframe/unibody car being cautious is a good thing. These mk4 Jettas are getting scarce like the 92 to 95 civics...I remember when you could get them almost free and now they bring too much in my opinion. Another thing I see are way too many tdi's in the bone yards...an 06 BRM car with nothing visually wrong with it. I know from talking to the Manager of the yard they only gave 350 bux for it...I suspect a tandem pump issue

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

restlesstexan

TDI
2004 Jetta Sportwagon TDI, and while technically not a TDI, my 2nd vehicle deserves an honorable mention - I also own a 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited 4x4 (2.8 liter Turbo Diesel)
Just replaced turbo on my 2004 5 speed sportwagon with a brand new Garrett VNT17 only to overspeed and blow smoke not even a quarter mile from house, (doh!!!) so I'm throwing in the towel on it - it was setup as a "toad" to be towed behind a winnebago - if my 2004 would work for your project, I'd be willing to talk $$ - I'm sure we could come up with something we'd both be happy with, provided your ALH can be put in it.... but FYI contrary to my handle on here, I'm not currently in TX - the car is located in De Soto, Missouri currently.
Just figured I'd throw it out there and see if this might be a happy coincidence for ya...

Last edited:

gingfox

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I recently wrecked my 2001 volkswagen jetta with an alh and a 5 speed manual. I loved it. The engine was and still is strong and running. I am looking for a car that is in decent condition body wise that I could transplant the engine into. I would prefer one that is already a 5 speed so then I won't have to do a lot of learning to convert one into a 5 speed, although I'm open to anything as I'm sure the gurus around here would provide guidance on my conversion journey if necessary. I don't care what color it is. Good body condition is preferred but as long as the car has no frame damage then it would be acceptable. Bonus if it is the green color because that's what I had before and all my doors are still in perfect condition if it has any door damage. I had a front-end collision so my hood was trashed along with the entire front clip and the radiator, the engine and everything back of that survived though.

I live in the Alamogordo, NM area but I would be willing to travel a few hours to get one if the price is right. :D

Thank you,
Jake

Hi Jake! I have a 2003 Jetta GLS Wagon, silver automatic. About 130,000 miles. Just completed more than $2,000 worth of repairs (new turbo, glow plugs, expansion tank, hoses, etc.), but now the mechanic says there may be a broken piston ring. So, at this point, I don't want to do any repairs to the engine. What might you be willing to pay for the vehicle you're looking for? Please let me know. 310-591-9257

Roxanne_C

TDI
2002 VW Jetta
2002 VW Jetta Wagon

I'm trying to offload a car in Boulder CO -- hope that's not too far. It's in good condition except for engine and thermostat issues, and I'm asking for at least $600. Call me if you're interested, my phone number is 760-458-9669.

jakej78b

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey guys, appreciate the input! I think at this point I would highly prefer a car that was already an ALH with a 5 speed because I'm not sure I want the undertaking of doing a full conversion of an automatic car. I've already yanked the engine out of the car and it looks like the transmission mounts are broken so unless that can be repaired then I'll be needing a new transmission also.