Car died doing 70

two passat man

TDI
2013 passat black on black
I down shifted and car went to no power. I thought it went to limp mode, but as soon as I pulled over car died. I checked fuel pump and no metal flakes. I checked fuel pressure sensor it was 2.6 on resistance. Manual shows 3.7 +-1

It has started and ran for 2 seconds. I have VCDS on my laptop and can check things. Since the whole thing happened so fast, I feel something just failed and car isn't getting fuel. trying to find that 1 thing is tough. If anyone has any ideas of where to look for an issue I would appreciate it.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
OBD works, start there. Check for DTCs in the Engine. Check for cranking RPM in the data. Check the for rail pressure (it should ramp up pretty quickly during cranking).

two passat man

TDI
Turbo Failure. Impeller shaft broke. Intake side spins freely exhaust side seized up. So looking for a turbo.....LOL

oilhammer

TDI
Yep, very common on the CKRA, which is why they extended the warranty on the turbo (and the new ones are a little different... improved?)

two passat man

TDI
I have 250,000 miles 99% hwy. I have always been good at letting car idle down when coming off hwy to get fuel or rest. I was towing my motorcycle when it went.

oilhammer

TDI
You got easily thrice the mileage out of yours that a lot of people have.

Big job, but actually the CKRA is a little easier than the other CR engines in that it has a unique setup. The oil feed is on the back of the engine, so no wrap around oil feed pipe to deal with, and the high pressure EGR port goes in the head on the same plane as the exhaust ports, not at right angles like the others, so no EGR pipe to fight with. Plus being a larger car there is a wee bit more room to get around things. Still 8.8hr book time.

two passat man

TDI
Since it is for off hwy use, just a 3 inch exhaust and a lot of room under hood....LOL I may have messed up by not spraying bolts with PB Blasters Sunday before I left for work. No after market so I ordered a reman from ECS. I made sure to order all gaskets and washers. Looks to be not to hard, maybe 1 or 2 weekends.