Best Tire Recommendations

av8r

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI (#23rd in prod), Black. 2014 Audi Q5 TDI, Black
Michelin Latitude 255/45R20 shoes are ready for replacement. They've been great but at $350 a pop I've been researching other options. I like Michelin's and the Pilot Sport 4S seems to rate well and I think that is my #2 choice--again premium pricing. I'm trying to stick with summer tires (I live in the fricken desert) as I already have a winter wheel/tire setup I swap out every season.

I ran Pirelli's on my Jetta TDI and they were just superb! I notice the Pirelli Scorpion Verde (street) has been discontinued (2016ish) and replaced by and "all season" Scorpion Verde.

I have found some great reviews on TireRack.com of Azenis FK510 which is Falken's Ultra High Performance Summer tire.

I researched Falken and they are a Subsidiary of Sumitomo Rubber Industries with corporate headquarters in Rancho Cucamonga, California, with a West Coast distribution center in Ontario, California--hard to really nail down where they are produced as they have factories all over the world. I've never ran Falken's but I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the Azenis FK510 due to performance, price point ($180 a piece), and great reviews.

Anyone have any experience running the Azenis FK510 on their Q5/Q7? Buhler,....Buhler

Last edited:

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I had falkens on one truck, they were all seasons on a chevy, ave I didn't really like them, they wore out very fast and were pretty rough. I don't know about their performance tires though.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
There is a company on Ebay that has 255/45/20 Pirelli Verde tires that were the original 2016 Audi tires for $297 a set with free shipping. They are shipped from Minnesota and at most it is 5 day delivery. My wife's Q5 has Kuhmo PT 51 tires on it and they ride well and are wearing good as well. I have had 2 Touaregs in the past and it didn't matter how much I spent on tires. Pirelli Scorpions 19K bald and even tried Michelin XTerrain truck tires 22K. My Q5 has Bridgestone tires and you can hardly hear the radio because they are sooo loud and ride rough. They were on it when I bought the car and they are wearing out fast. Be glad when I can get better tires.

av8r

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI (#23rd in prod), Black. 2014 Audi Q5 TDI, Black
There is a company on Ebay that has 255/45/20 Pirelli Verde tires that were the original 2016 Audi tires for $297 a set with free shipping. They are shipped from Minnesota and at most it is 5 day delivery. My wife's Q5 has Kuhmo PT 51 tires on it and they ride well and are wearing good as well. I have had 2 Touaregs in the past and it didn't matter how much I spent on tires. Pirelli Scorpions 19K bald and even tried Michelin XTerrain truck tires 22K. My Q5 has Bridgestone tires and you can hardly hear the radio because they are sooo loud and ride rough. They were on it when I bought the car and they are wearing out fast. Be glad when I can get better tires.

I've actually seen the 255/45/20 Pirelli Verde tires on sale for $167. But they are stamped with a 2016 manufacture date. Since I'm in the desert tires take a severe beating to include sidewalls so I want to get as much longevity as I can from "new" shoes.

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
3 to 4 years isn't to far out of date. I had a set of BFG's on my '07 Ram 4x4 Cummins that still had 1/2 tread on them when I replaced them(because of a wreck when a guy locked his trailer to my front wheel at the gas station). They were on the truck for almost 11 years. I believe the better solution is extra load tires. On the Beetle TDI I sold to get my Q5, I had ran Toyo's that were standard tires and didn't last 20K. The next set I got were Bridgestone's that were XL tires and I swapped them over to my wife's convertible before I sold it and still going with 35k on them and a lot of tread left. The XL tires have a stiffer sidewall and will actually make the car handle better and can take a pothole better.

Last edited: