TCM Tune

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 TDI S-Line + Black Optics Package
TCU/TCM Tune

Hi all,
I’ve been on the fence about getting a TCU tune for my 2015 Q5 TDI and I’ve decoded I’m going to take the plunge. Now does anyone know of any shops in or around Washington or PNW area that do TCU tunes? I’ve seen some people have had their TCU tunes in Chicago and other central and eastern states... but I’d prefer to not having to drive a few thousand miles round trip to get it tuned.. so if anyone knows of a list of shops or knows of some shops around Washington, Oregon, Idaho, etc., that would be fantastic if you could share them. Thanks!

Last edited:

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks MBQ. I called the guy today and he is unfamiliar with the TCU tune. Super nice guy but seems to be familiar with Malone tunes. I’m going to keep calling all of the Malone tuning places on the list and hope someone knows where to get a TCU tune. Anyone else? Please chime in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pittdawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
Thanks MBQ. I called the guy today and he is unfamiliar with the TCU tune. Super nice guy but seems to be familiar with Malone tunes. I’m going to keep calling all of the Malone tuning places on the list and hope someone knows where to get a TCU tune. Anyone else? Please chime in!

I've been looking for one also but can't find any retailers specific to the TDI...only specific to the 3.0T. HPTuners allows you to tune yourself but I honestly have no idea how to safely or effectively do it myself.

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
I've been looking for one also but can't find any retailers specific to the TDI...only specific to the 3.0T. HPTuners allows you to tune yourself but I honestly have no idea how to safely or effectively do it myself.

Yeah I’ve heard of HPTuners and I feel the same way- I have no idea what the parameters for shift points or anything are. I’d most likely brick my transmission if I tried it myself so I’m just trying to find someone in my area.

And also- did you notice anything when you installed your BiTurbo intercooler? More power? Lower EGTs?

Pittdawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
Yeah I’ve heard of HPTuners and I feel the same way- I have no idea what the parameters for shift points or anything are. I’d most likely brick my transmission if I tried it myself so I’m just trying to find someone in my area.

And also- did you notice anything when you installed your BiTurbo intercooler? More power? Lower EGTs?

No AWD dyno nearby me so I couldn't test for increased power but my Torque app does show slightly lower egts. I was told an uprated intercooler is always a good idea on a tuned vehicle with a stock turbo, especially a diesel so I installed it more as insurance than anything else.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
mostly been held up by a lack of tooling support on the ZFs, seems to be a couple things coming down the line. Haven't worked with too many torque converter style automatics so it will definitely take a bit to go over everything.

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI, was 06 Jetta TDI, 15 q7 tdi, was 11 Q7 TDI
Hi all,
I’ve been on the fence about getting a TCU tune for my 2015 Q5 TDI and I’ve decoded I’m going to take the plunge. Now does anyone know of any shops in or around Washington or PNW area that do TCU tunes? I’ve seen some people have had their TCU tunes in Chicago and other central and eastern states... but I’d prefer to not having to drive a few thousand miles round trip to get it tuned.. so if anyone knows of a list of shops or knows of some shops around Washington, Oregon, Idaho, etc., that would be fantastic if you could share them. Thanks!
I believe you're referring to the guy from Clubtoureg that was tuning the 3.0L TDI trannies....

He did a good job... I think he's based out of Pennsylvania and does it on the side.

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
mostly been held up by a lack of tooling support on the ZFs, seems to be a couple things coming down the line. Haven't worked with too many torque converter style automatics so it will definitely take a bit to go over everything.
Owain,

Since it will take a while to go over everything (longer as in a day or longer as in months to create a tune?) because of the torque converter, is it still possible for you guys to tune the ZF if I brought it up to one of your shops in BC? (I’m down in Seattle area). If it’ll take longer as in hours or a day, sign me up!

I believe you're referring to the guy from Clubtoureg that was tuning the 3.0L TDI trannies....

He did a good job... I think he's based out of Pennsylvania and does it on the side.
I’m talking about the guy that Huskies had time his A6. I’m really wanting someone closer than Chicago, or Pennsylvania haha.

Last edited:

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
No I haven’t had a TCM tune yet :(. If Malone up in BC would for sure tune it, even if it took a weekend of me dropping my car off, I’d do it. No Shop has given me a response yet on whether or not they’d tune it :/

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
I was doing a little research last night and found this website diesel performance which is located in the UK, https://www.diesel-performance.co.uk. They offer TCM/TCU tunes so I contacted them via email and told them I have a 2014 Audi Q5 TDI from North America and asked if they provided a tune for the north american q5 tdi and if so, which TCM tune would fit my car. They emailed me back and provided me with this link:

406ft/lbs model:
https://www.diesel-performance.co.u...017/3-0-tdi-quattro-240ps176kw-2967-ccm-7/#go

The problem is...is our Q5's come stock with 428ft/lbs, which is this link:
428ft/lbs model:
https://www.diesel-performance.co.u...-2017/3-0-tdi-quattro-245ps180kw-580nm-11/#go

I have read positive reviews from this website and would be willing pay to have a plug and play tune via OBDII shipped over to the US..considering the only other option (as far as I know..) is driving over to Chicago area from Seattle to get my TCM tuned or removing my TCM from inside my transmission and shipping it out.

What do you guys think??

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
2022 Polestar 2 BEV - Current, 2021 Q5 55e PHEV - Retired, 2015 Q5 3.0 TDI - Retired, 2013 Golf TDI - Retired
Seems interesting to me. Probably doesn't much matter the engine code. As the Q7 here had the lower tq, and the q5 had the higher. My guess is the ZF tune was the same regardless.... 20tq is not going to make them change the transmission tune, as its basically the same...

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
Seems interesting to me. Probably doesn't much matter the engine code. As the Q7 here had the lower tq, and the q5 had the higher. My guess is the ZF tune was the same regardless.... 20tq is not going to make them change the transmission tune, as its basically the same...

That’s sorta what I was thinking. Forgive my ignorance but is the Q5 TDI listed on their site (UK/European) the same as the USA Q5 TDI? I would hate to buy the tune and have it
1) not work at all
2) mess up my transmission
3) brick my TCU/TCM and my car is useless

Is this at least a “safe option” to try since i think it’s a plug and play piggy-back and not an actual TCM flash?

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
2022 Polestar 2 BEV - Current, 2021 Q5 55e PHEV - Retired, 2015 Q5 3.0 TDI - Retired, 2013 Golf TDI - Retired
I honestly can't speak to that piece... maybe someone like oilhammer would know more. But the tranny tune is a black box so to speak. But I would think like you if its just a piggyback unit, it should be fine.

Pittdawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
That’s sorta what I was thinking. Forgive my ignorance but is the Q5 TDI listed on their site (UK/European) the same as the USA Q5 TDI? I would hate to buy the tune and have it
1) not work at all
2) mess up my transmission
3) brick my TCU/TCM and my car is useless

Is this at least a “safe option” to try since i think it’s a plug and play piggy-back and not an actual TCM flash?

I was looking into this a while back but never pulled the trigger. I emailed them and they confirmed the right model for our US spec Q5 TDI. If I recall correctly it was the second one you posted.

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I bought the 240ps/500nm one because the guy I was talking to insisted I buy that one. Here's my conversation with the guy before purchasing:

DTUK Support:
245ps is 242hp
No it won’t cause any issues at all, but I know your vat is 240ps/580nm

Me:
Ok great. I don’t see a 240/580 for the Q5 TDI options. I only see a 240/500, a 245/580, and a 245/500. The only option that matches with
Stock TQ values is the 245/580. Which one specifically should I be looking to buy for my Q5?

DTUK Support:
Please use the 240ps listing Derek,
I know that your car is the 240ps/580nm , tbh it doesn’t matter which one you order as im aware of your specific vehicle :)

I'm just hoping the DTUK support guy is right and I ordered the right one haha. I'll post back here with my results!

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
Absolutely interested in your results. Fingers crossed that it's just awesome...hahahha...

Pittdawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
Absolutely interested in your results. Fingers crossed that it's just awesome...hahahha...
Same here! Did they give you any understanding until how long it will be delivered, especially with this whole Coronavirus craziness going on?

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
Same here! Did they give you any understanding until how long it will be delivered, especially with this whole Coronavirus craziness going on?

Hey Pittdawg,

Sorry for the long wait/reply! It arrived pretty fast. I don’t remember the amount of time (I think it was within 10 days but I could be wrong) it took but the virus epidemic had zero impact on delivery time.

in for results.
I don’t have any before and after data :/ but I can tell you shifts are much quicker when I have the car in dynamic mode; the thing is a damn rocket. Daemon64 will have some before and after data posted under his thread soon though! I’m looking forward to seeing if there is any difference in actual 0-60. If there’s no difference, bummer. The car is still more enjoyable to drive at least

Last edited:

meooem22

TDI
2012 Q7 PP
How was the sprintbooster by it's self? Still trying to get used to the lag between pressing gas pedal and acceleration in normal mode. Is the sprintbooster worth trying?

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
So the best I can get is 0-60 in 5.48s, mind you thats full launch control, and I have a Stage 2 malone but 100% emissions compliant. Someone who has no alphabet soup would probably get better just from the quicker spool and etc... But its not bad...

Pittdawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
Sorry, I just saw this now. I have a Sprintbooster for sale if you are interested. Yes, it does improve the reaction of the pedal but I did not need any longer after the DTUK TCU tune.