97 passat cup holder replacement?

97passattdi17

TDI
97 Passat TDI 1.9L 300,000+ Miles
Anyone know where you could find a replacement cup holder for the passenger side front? Sick of my broken plastic.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left

passatforbus

Veteran Member
TDI
97 jetta tdi 244k stage 2 Malone Bosch injectors, 98 jetta tdi 240k injectors.

not too hard an install. and they have good strength

BigAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
99 A3
I'm not a fan of those since cans can still fall out when taking a corner. I switched to the Fischer ones and have been much happier. They're more money but a much better cupholder.
What Abacus said and I should have read his post more thoroughly before posting the link again.

tigers2007

Veteran Member
TDI
'97 Passat TDI Sedan (B4)
I paid $6.80 for this two weeks ago via Amazon. I love it. Installed in about one minute including drilling two pilot holes to avoid any plastic cracking. The price varies considerably depending on the color and "Amazon market price". I think it already went up to $9 now. I purchased the tan version as it contrasts from the black console - I wanted any passengers to notice it before crushing it. They probably wouldn't notice a black one.

Col Sanders

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 Green And it's Possessed 2001 Audi A4 AFN SWAP
Mine are like tigers2007, so far so good. ( I don't drink pop ) My coffee stays put.

thechoochlyman

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
Just adding mine to the list. Got a pack of two Bell cup holders from Auto Zone, cut the tops down, attached them to the stock baseplate with 3M foam tape and ran longer M4 bolts through the mounting holes. Nice and springy!

One of the arms broke off my stock holder... anybody who needs a part from it can send me a PM and I'll let you have it for shipping.

thechoochlyman

TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
Funny I was the last person to post here. The Autozone holders broke off last winter when it got super cold, so I just now replaced them with something better.
First thing I did was sand more off the stock baseplate with my air grinder.

Then I just screwed the new pop-out holders to the plate with the provided screws. Worked wonders. There is one on the other side now too, I just didn't photograph it.Camco Adjustable Drink Holder- Can Hold Mugs, Large Drinks and Almost Any Size Bottle or Can, Make Great Extra Cupholders for Cars, Trucks, RVs, Vans, Boats and Much More - Black (44044)

I also put one (soon to be two) in the new-to-me B3 glovebox. It passed my wife's inspection on our trip yesterday, so I think it's a winner.

TDIL3dad

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 96 B4V project
thechoochlyman, I noticed in your pics where you added a 12v outlet on the side near the cup holder. Does the spot where you installed the outlet require any cutting or modding on the insideof the console?What did you wire it into?I have a 12v VW outlet with pig tail, that I picked from a JY VW. This is not a cigarette lighter, rather it is a 12v outlet with a flip cover found on some 2000 (?) and later VWs. Any tips or advice for installation would be appreciated.

thechoochlyman

TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
thechoochlyman, I noticed in your pics where you added a 12v outlet on the side near the cup holder. Does the spot where you installed the outlet require any cutting or modding on the insideof the console?What did you wire it into?I have a 12v VW outlet with pig tail, that I picked from a JY VW. This is not a cigarette lighter, rather it is a 12v outlet with a flip cover found on some 2000 (?) and later VWs. Any tips or advice for installation would be appreciated.
Well, do you see that there are two holes, and that one of them doesn't have anything in it? haha Yeah, that's because I didn't drill it far back enough to clear everything behind it. But the second time I drilled the location was good. Go back far enough and you won't hit anything. I wired that port into a toggle switch where my ashtray used to be for a dash cam.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I put one in the same place, it came out of a B5 gasser. I wired it to split the power from the regular cigarette lighter since I never run out of power, just sockets. It was easy to add there, just make sure it doesn’t interfere with the transmission well or the dash brace. I use mine for my dash cam as well, which is on a cigarette plug.