Putting TDI in a boat ...

big_worm81

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 Jetta TDI's
Hey all, I am trying to put a TDI in a boat ... I have the engine pulled and am just putting the project together in my head. Is there anyway I can convert the fuel pump to a mechanical linkage instead of the wiring mess that I would have to keep the way it is designed right now? I just want a bare bones arrangement. Thanks. Any ideas?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
VW sells marine application TDIs. Everybody start salavating. http://www.vw-m.de/index.php?id=6&L=1

BTW they cost over $12K for most of the hp options that I would consider based on ho/tq ratings.

HO'OLAKO

Veteran Member
i am running the 5cyl in a cal- 46 motorsailer. used all volvo (vw tdi) the marine manifolds can get pricey. Can you weld? make your own. I can get 8knots just off idle. She is actually to much motor for a 46. 90hp is plenty, i have 220hp. Originally bought motor to put in mk4jetta and put ALH in boat. Then built a 3.0 mercedes diesel(beastmode)425hp. wife said the 5cyl had to go , so it went in boat. she thinks i sold it hehe! shop in germany and uk for everthing you will need. regards

chasmandu

TDI
Passat 96 Silk Blue chipped
I've been dreaming about that for 4 years. Hate the sick amount of gas a ski boat uses in a day of pulling the kids around the lake. Plus, could use biodiesel for healthier air and water. I would think the right size prop arrangement would be possible to have a good power boat for pulling skiers and tubers. I hope you do it.

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
See Scott de Witt or other vendors here for mechanical TDI pumps. OR, you could have Giles Gallie build you one or even follow the directions at 'the other VW diesel site" and build your own.

One of my cousins has a 1.6NA in his fishing boat. Made a HUGE improvement in range and reliability. He did all of the installation (including manifolds) himself, so total cost was in the hundreds.

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
I'll be following suite with a 3.0 liter Mercedes 24V engine.. Converted to purely mechanical with some big huge turbos in a ski boat... Run it on veggie oil, it's gonna be fun!

shakescreek

Veteran Member
TDI
18'6" welded aluminum jetboat with pd160, gtb2056vl, and tuning by rub87, 2003 chev blazer with bhw swap, 2000 jetta alh with gtd1752 vrk, .240 injectors, 11mm pump, fmic, 6 spd manual
I've been running a 1.9pd(bpx) in my aluminum river boat(jetdrive). 3rd season coming up on it and I just love it so far. I put about 200 hours a season on it and have had no problems with it yet. Very hard to find anything else out there that can provide the same power to weight ratio and get the kind of fuel economy the tdi does.

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
shakescreek said:
I've been running a 1.9pd(bpx) in my aluminum river boat(jetdrive). 3rd season coming up on it and I just love it so far. I put about 200 hours a season on it and have had no problems with it yet. Very hard to find anything else out there that can provide the same power to weight ratio and get the kind of fuel economy the tdi does.
Any pics? Sounds cool.

In the Niagara Gorge below Niagara Falls here in Ontario there's a fleet of 1500hp TD Aluminum river boats. They're a blast to ride in.

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
1988 Audi 80 quattro PD130, 1982 Westfalia TDI
I too would like to see some pictures. What size boat is it? Do you have any pictures of how you mounted the jet drive to the flywheel or conversion pictures?
:)
Jon

shakescreek

Veteran Member
TDI
18'6" welded aluminum jetboat with pd160, gtb2056vl, and tuning by rub87, 2003 chev blazer with bhw swap, 2000 jetta alh with gtd1752 vrk, .240 injectors, 11mm pump, fmic, 6 spd manual
Don't think I have any pictures of it that I could post right now as most all my pictures are from a film camera. We did get a digital camera recently though so I could try and get some shots tomorrow and see if I can figure out how to post them on here. It is an 18'6" welded aluminum boat I built myself.

shakescreek

Veteran Member
TDI
Snapped a few pics of the boat today but can't seem to post them here. If someone can tell me how to do it I will try again or alternatively I could email them to someone who knows how to post them here if anyone wants to do it.

big_worm81

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 Jetta TDI's
Thats awesome ... Well I found out I can get a mechanical pump for my ALH for $1500 ... I salvaged the wiring harness, computer, pedal cluster, ignition ... everything from my parts car... I think I'll try and set it up with the original gear before I spend $1500 on a new pump ... although it would be sweet!!

shakescreek

Veteran Member
TDI
thanks for the help mogly, still not working for me. When I hit the upload/submit button it tells me the file is to big every time. Anyone know how I can make the pictures have a smaller file size?

LukeWilson

Veteran Member
TDI
Toyota 4x4 TDI, 2004 Allroad TDI
Thought this was pretty cool:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnjlnEBtqv4&feature=related

Don't know exactly what engine it is, im guessing a 1Z or AHU. Putting that engine in a older ski boat would be awesome. My big complaint with having a ski boat is how much fuel they use. Only question is what to do about cooling? Air/water intercooler would work well, but could you pump lake water through the engine without hurting anything? I don't know if you would need some kind of thermostat system or not?

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
That thing is GITTIN IT!!! I wish tdi's were available when I did my skiff. Well, they were, but the cars were still under warranty!! That 1.6 NA I used was like 45hp tops.

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon TDI, 2003 wagon Tdi, 2013 Q7 Tdi
LukeWilson said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnjlnEBtqv4&feature=related

Don't know exactly what engine it is, im guessing a 1Z or AHU. Putting that engine in a older ski boat would be awesome. My big complaint with having a ski boat is how much fuel they use. Only question is what to do about cooling? Air/water intercooler would work well, but could you pump lake water through the engine without hurting anything? I don't know if you would need some kind of thermostat system or not?
wow that motor was cookin!!!

shakescreek

Veteran Member
TDI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Onjln...eature=related

Just looking at that I would say he hit probably about 40mph. Quite certain my boat would run circles around that one but it probably serves his purpose well. Wonder why he mounted the engine so far ahead, doesn't look like it would leave much room in the boat.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
It's mounted that far forward as the jet drive impeller housing takes a few feet between transom and engine coupling. Still, gotta say, that thing is scooting!

shakescreek

Veteran Member
TDI
"It's mounted that far forward as the jet drive impeller housing takes a few feet between transom and engine coupling."

No way a jetboat engine needs to be that far ahead. I've owned and been around many many jetboats for 40+ years and they normally have about 8" to 12" between the flywheel and the pump shaft with the front of the pump shaft maybe 6'' to 15" from the transom depending on the jetdrive used. Flywheel to transom on mine is probably about 12".

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
True, but some jets have more space for hardware between engine and transom. We just don't know what this guy is running. Other than we know it is a jet. For all we know, it could be a waverunner sort of drive, with the engine more forward.

shakescreek

Veteran Member
TDI
With some help from club members here I finally figured out how to resize some pictures so I could upload them here. Still couldn't figure out how to get them in my post but if anyone wants to see them just go to members albums and look at shakescreek.

slapshotjh

Veteran Member
TDI
97 GLX B4V
The pics seem to work fine. Are there any more pics? I would like to see how the coolant circuit works.