www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old July 30th, 2020, 09:05   #1
alaskansnail

TDI(s): 97 Passat
Default Cup Holder Replacement (Upgrade?)

So my Passat didn't come with the factory cupholder so I decided to install one I got off Amazon. My brother then got a Passat with it and I realized that the factory one's are SO WEAK. This one works so much better and doesn't bend under weight and better yet, DOESN'T COST AN ARM AND A LEG!
-
-

*DISCLAIMER* PLEASE BE CAREFUL DOING THIS. I KNOW THE ORIGINAL CUPHOLDERS ARE A RARE COMMODITY AND I WOULDN'T WANT ANYONE BREAKING THEIRS. SO DO AT YOUR OWN RISK.
-
-

Time
--------
20 - 30 Minutes
--------
-
-

Cost
--------
$12 - $20 (Depends on if you have the screws or not and/or AmazonPrime.)
--------
-
-

What you need:
-
-

Tools
--------
Philips Screwdriver
A Small Drill Bit
Ruler
-
-

--------
Items
--------
Cupholder (Click Here)
If you aren't comfortable with clicking links search for, EEEKit Car Seat Seam Wedge Cup Holder on Amazon.
2 about 2-Inch Screws (Try and get them roughly the same size as the
original holes just so if you want to put the original one back on you can
without a problem.)
--------
-
-

1. First Remove the original cupholder. (Preferably without breaking anything.)
There are two screws on the inside of it. First take those out and then note that you have to slide it down and out.
-

-
-

2. Measure the distance between the original screw holes and the apply that distance to the new cupholder and drill holes accordingly. (My cupholder doesn't sit flush with the center console because I didn't remove any of the bottom wedge. You can probably do so it will be even with it.)
-

-
-

3. Hand screw in the screws and then use your screwdriver to get them pretty far through in order to get them lined up with the original screw holes. Once they are in then you are pretty much done.
-

-
-

4. Enjoy your new cupholder without the bottom almost breaking! (One thing to note is that if you have a Large cup they may move a little, but they won't fall out; at least mine haven't. ALSO where I placed my height wise, I can only really fit a small, maybe a medium drink in the one closest to the kneebar.)
-

-
-

Hope this helps! I mean I could barely put a cup in the original without thinking, "It's totally gonna break."
alaskansnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2020, 10:21   #2
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

yeah, the original was mainly designed to hold a 12 oz styro / wax coated cup, not the large cups we have today. It was also rather weak on the arms that extended out to support the top...unfortunately.

Steve
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2020, 14:31   #3
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

0/10 for me
your pictures look like some cheese aliexpress crap
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2020, 16:01   #4
turbodieseldyke
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 98 jetta
Fuel Economy: 50

Well here's a business opportunity for you to design, machine, and sell some anodized aluminum cupholders.
turbodieseldyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2020, 10:09   #5
BigAndy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 99 A3

These are very nice cupholders -- they fit on the door card on the Jetta's with power windows front and back and folks have mounted them where the stock units go on the passats. I like your idea Alaska but my Jetta doesn't have space for a double setup. The original cupholders in the Jetta are best suited for loose change. LOLL

https://www.ultimatecupholders.com/f...cupholder.html

Love the detail in your write up -- nice to see folks still posting ideas!!

Last edited by BigAndy; July 31st, 2020 at 10:16.
BigAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2020, 14:16   #6
alaskansnail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongler98 View Post
0/10 for me
your pictures look like some cheese aliexpress crap
Thank you for the positive feedback! We need more people like you on these forums!

Thanks again!
Old July 31st, 2020, 14:19   #7
alaskansnail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Addy View Post
yeah, the original was mainly designed to hold a 12 oz styro / wax coated cup, not the large cups we have today. It was also rather weak on the arms that extended out to support the top...unfortunately.

Steve
It's crazy because you can totally tell that this was an afterthought. It's ass if they were done and the designer was like "Dang it! I mean...no here are the cupholders...innovative."
Old July 31st, 2020, 14:20   #8
alaskansnail

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodieseldyke View Post
Well here's a business opportunity for you to design, machine, and sell some anodized aluminum cupholders.
Thank you! I'm gonna have to look into how I could go about that!
Thank you really!
Old July 31st, 2020, 14:23   #9
alaskansnail

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAndy View Post
These are very nice cupholders -- they fit on the door card on the Jetta's with power windows front and back and folks have mounted them where the stock units go on the passats. I like your idea Alaska but my Jetta doesn't have space for a double setup. The original cupholders in the Jetta are best suited for loose change. LOLL

https://www.ultimatecupholders.com/f...cupholder.html

Love the detail in your write up -- nice to see folks still posting ideas!!
I was thinking about putting it on my driver's door, but decided against it because I didn't want to harm my doorcard.
I wanted to put those cupholders in, but I knew I probably would run into a problem with 2. Annnnd that's why I went with this thing.

Thank you for the suggestion for that cupholder!

Also thank you for the kind words!
Old July 31st, 2020, 18:21   #10
turbodieseldyke
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 98 jetta
Fuel Economy: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskansnail View Post
Thank you! I'm gonna have to look into how I could go about that!
Thank you really!
The business suggestion was for the guy who complained about your "crappy chinese" cupholders. I just didn't address him directly, since my reply was immediately after his.

But if you can make a go of it, then godspeed. We have always needed bigger and beefier cupholders than the euros, with their 1oz coffees and 300ml sodas. I don't know what Mk6 and newer cars have, but even in my Mk5 I sometimes need to lift my armrest to stow a big drink in there. We had Big Gulps since the 80s, ffs. The car designers probably think they're saving us from diabeetus by making our cupholders unusable. That little "flower vase" on the New Beetle's dash was probably meant as a joke cupholder for us.
turbodieseldyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2020, 22:32   #11
alaskansnail

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodieseldyke View Post
The business suggestion was for the guy who complained about your "crappy chinese" cupholders. I just didn't address him directly, since my reply was immediately after his.

But if you can make a go of it, then godspeed. We have always needed bigger and beefier cupholders than the euros, with their 1oz coffees and 300ml sodas. I don't know what Mk6 and newer cars have, but even in my Mk5 I sometimes need to lift my armrest to stow a big drink in there. We had Big Gulps since the 80s, ffs. The car designers probably think they're saving us from diabeetus by making our cupholders unusable. That little "flower vase" on the New Beetle's dash was probably meant as a joke cupholder for us.

Ohhhh well yeah he can totally go for it! Hahaha thank you for that dude!

My MK5 GTI is decent with cups actually, but I have driven a few that make NO SENSE. I agree, I truly think they think we are being saved from all the sugar...even though they are just making all of us drive with it in between our legs; making it MUCH more dangerous!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old August 1st, 2020, 09:57   #12
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

just one more clunky solution to having 2 big gulps for your diabeetus.
next you need a ez bake oven.
DO IT
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote