ALH as a conversion candidate?

paredown

TDI
Beetle
First post in a while about conversions...
If you were thinking of a Eurovan conversion--how hard would it be to adapt an ALH, rather than an AHU?
From another thread elsewhere I read this:
The block of the ALH was changed and lost the MK1 mounting boss for all four bolting mounts. The block is slightly longer in the main run than the 1z/AHU units. The block is supposedly "reinforced" in the ribbing more but uses the same internals as the AHU (1z exception because it has the cast pistons).The vac. pump is relocated and no longer the traditional vac. pump that is driven off the int. shaft on the earlier 1z/AHU motors and the water pump is internal, driven off the timing belt. The head is also different on the ALH motors, with the new block it has a wider "central galley" oil return in the head vs. the 1z/AHU built on the older style block that has a central relief galley and one that sits to the left on the front of the head as well. The valve cover on the 1z/AHU mounts similar to the AAZ cover (3 stud mount) whereas the ALH cover is all cast aluminum and mounts with several studs
Lets see...what else... well, 1z/AHU motors use a slightly different configuration for the injection pump.... a 7 pin pump vs. a 8pin (correct me if I'm wrong) on ALH pumps. Also, 1z/AHU motors use the traditional sprocket drive for the injection pump with a fixed sprocket . The ALH introduced the use of a pressed on hub to the pump and an adjustable sprocket that bolt to this up that allows for initial timing adjustments to be made WITHOUT having to take the pump loose at the front flange and back retaining bolt (like you do have to do on old IDI motors as well...)
The 1z/AHU was rated with 90hp and 150ft/lbs...the ALH 90hp and 155ft/lbs
1z/AHU used a wastegated Garrett turbo that was fairly small and with the ALH the movement was made to the use of the VNT 15.
As far as performance. Flat out...there is more programming options, etc. for the ALH just off the shelf...
So the physical mounting would be more of a challenge, I'm assuming--since the factory brackets used to mount the AHU in other Eurovan conversions would not work?

(Reason for the thought process--there seems to be a dearth of older Passat/Jettas around to find a likely conversion engine, but I have found a decent 1998 Beetle within striking distance (which I understand does not have the immo...))

Found this thread here that seems contradictory on the motor mount bosses? This thread eems to conclude that either would do for a Vanagon conversion depending on availability. The 'internal' waterpump on the ALH does seem a little annoying though...

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=262343

Last edited:

paredown

TDI
Beetle
contact Frans @ dutchautoparts.com ... he sells a kit to install an ALH into a T4.
Thanks--I see is name come up on nearly every conversion thread--and pretty much only good comments, except sometimes he can be slow to respond.

I'm still at the information gathering stage, so I'm a little hesitant to bother someone who makes a living at this.;)

Zeitgeist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Variant and Vanagon mTDI
The ALH is one of my favorite engines, period. I think the engine mount issue is problematic, but can be overcome with some clever fab work. The oil pan issue is a little more daunting, since I'm not sure if there's a factory pan that fits an ALH footprint while tilting the engine forward instead of backward. There's also been some discussion of whether the A/C compressor would hang down too low when the engine is tilted forward. If there's a ready solution to all these issues then I'd love to learn more. My EV is begging to be TDI'd

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
VAG never put the late style 4 cyl in the T4 as I understand it, they stuck with the early type engines.

But the T5 which DID get the late style 4 cyl may have some items that could be pulled from the parts bin.

As mentioned, Frans seems to have much of this covered already. Volkswagen Transporters in Europe are like F150s here.

But the specific of a late type 4 cyl VE TDI fitment may be a little challenging, as most were either non-turbo IDI, turbo IDI, early style TDI, or a 5 cyl.

Someone here has an AHU in one already.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
i've had personal involvement with two eurovan ALH conversions both using the kit that Frans (dutchautoparts.com) manufactures and sells. It's an awesome and complete kit. You still have to figure out your plumbing, wiring, intercooler, etc. but his kit takes care of physically mounting the engine and comes with a professionally modified oil pan to clear the PS axle. The ALH AC compressor does hang low and i've heard wind of some folks mounting it in front of the alternator but have not seen pics of this approach. Another option would be to use a PD engine which has the AC compressor in the middle of the accessory lineup with the power steering pump down low.

Last edited:

ocelotpotpie

TDI
TDI
My build thread (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=497071) covers the mounting points.

Basically, yes, the 1Z and AHU have different mounting bosses than the ALH. The timing covers would be in the way even if you were to try to adapt them. My solution was to use the stock MK4 passenger mount and build an adapter to make the two meet. The driver's side mount works from the 01P to the 02B transmission.

Happy to answer any questions you have. Mine isn't officially running yet, as I'm held up on some of the wiring bits. Hoping to have that resolved shortly and take her for a test drive.

ocelotpotpie

TDI
TDI
Oh, as for Franz - I found him to be difficult to communicate with and slow to respond on a level that was unacceptable. Emails would take months (!) to be replied to and it was like starting from scratch again. I can't speak to the quality of his products but even just trying to send him money was like pulling teeth. I couldn't imagine sending him money and then waiting an unknown amount of time with no feedback for parts to show up in . . . who knows how long?

It's possible others haven't had the same experience I have, but everyone I spoke to said his communication was poor. I was willing to bite the bullet but in the 13+ months I went from planning to starting the project I was unable to even get him to accept payment and ship anything, so I went alternate routes. Your mileage may vary.

vandermic07

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf 5 spd, 03 Jetta Wagon
I had a good experience with Frans last year. My Euro hitch came in 2 days. He was very responsive (within 2 days of emailing with questions and ordering). I know my part wasnt super difficult like an engine/trans swap but that was my experience. I was warned and have read the same things as Ocelotpotpie mentioned but had a completely good experience.

Just though i would share

Zeitgeist

Veteran Member
TDI
I sure wish he'd update his website so I knew what was available, and for how much.

Zeitgeist

Veteran Member
TDI
I guess my point is that I don't want to pester someone with basic questions which could easily be answered with a simple bit of text and a few pics.