Found laying in trunk 2013 Passat TDI SEL -what is it?

drushtx

TDI
2002 Beetle TDI, 2006 Beetle TDI, 2014 Passat TDI SEL
Found laying in trunk 2014 Passat TDI SEL -what is it?

I found this little ball head threaded bolt rolling around in the trunk of my 2014 TDI SEL Passat. I'm pretty sure it comes from the car and not something that I had carried in the trunk. Any ideas before I begin to contort my oversized frame to eyeball all of the holes niches in the trunk lid and trunk ceiling?
So I guess the question isn't "What is it?" It's more like "Where does it go?"

Hmm - my account cannot post attachments so I'll describe it:

Color - black
Overall length is just of 1. 3/8"
There is a small, (about 1/4" diameter) ball on one end attached to a smooth shaft about about 1/8" in diameter and about 1 1/8" long. About 1/8" of an inch at the other end is fine threaded. The shaft is the same diameter for its entire length - no tapering. The threaded end is flat/blunt. There is no wear, everything is black.

Best I've got. Thank you for your thoughts.

Okay - I copied the pics to my website. Here are links to the pictures:

https://procoaudio.net/uploads/3/0/7/3/3073694/Ball-head_Bolt_Passat_01.jpg
https://procoaudio.net/uploads/3/0/7/3/3073694/Ball-head_Bolt_Passat_02.jpg

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
My guess would be that they are the standoffs for the engine cover. There should be four or so mounted to the top of the engine area and the plastic cover has some rubber grommets that slide over and latch onto these. Some people like to remove the engine cover and they may have removed these also.

drushtx

TDI
2002 Beetle TDI, 2006 Beetle TDI, 2014 Passat TDI SEL
Thank you, Lightflyer1, because by George, I think that you have probably nailed it. I ordered a pair of engine cover shrouds last year. The original was damaged in a hail storm. They have been in the trunk waiting for the day that I replace the hail-damaged windshield. My guess is that the stud was attached to one of the shroud halves and worked itself loose.

Many thanks for your insight.

Best!