My 2003 Golf 4-door

RustyNuggets

TDI
2003 Golf
Hey guys, thought I'd share my Golf. Which has become my favorite car of all time so far, and I have had some fun cars. This photo was from a trip last summer for a wedding we attended in Utah.

His name is Douglas, 'Good boy, Douglas'! Got him 5 years ago with 59k miles, and this year he just hit 170K! I'm averaging 45-50 mpg, even with occasionally towing a small trailer.

The rear quarter panels I added Plasti-dip to give him an accent. So many people think it's carbon fiber, and it only took me 2 hours for both sides, and has been on for all 5 years. I need to redo the rocker panels in grey, the Plasti-dip is slowly rubbing off getting in and out of the car.

Last edited:

Grahamexl

TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
TDLclub Car Restoration grants via domyhomeworkonline

Hi Douglas,
My son has just sold our old 2000 Golf and wants to get a 2003 Golf four door (he's getting married in December, so I think he's planning to buy it till then + he has huge honeymoon plans for ). Any pieces of advice? I'm searching for any pros and cons on forums, trying to find some personal experiences. Just trying to be a good father..

joyjoy22

TDI
2015 Volkswagen Beetle
It looks like you are happy with this purchased. The panel surely adds an accent to the car as it compliments its color.

MrFahrenheit99

TDI
2003 Golf TDI 5 speed
TDLclub Car Restoration grants via domyhomeworkonline

Hi Douglas,
My son has just sold our old 2000 Golf and wants to get a 2003 Golf four door (he's getting married in December, so I think he's planning to buy it till then + he has huge honeymoon plans for ). Any pieces of advice? I'm searching for any pros and cons on forums, trying to find some personal experiences. Just trying to be a good father..
I, too, have an '03 5MT Golf and I couldn't be happier! If he can manage to find a clean example with low miles he'll be in great shape.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Golfs are great. Here's my son's:

It has a 2" lift, which is great for him because he lives where it snows a lot. He's had it for about 6 years, it's just about to hit 400K miles. He describes it as the best car he'll ever own. In fairness his only other car has been...a Golf. 2-door, also silver.

I have a red one, here it is with my Wagon:

That's a '99.5 that I brought back from the nearly dead. Worth it.

Grahamexl, Get a MKIV, manual only, and try to find one that's either with the original owner or well maintained. How it's cared for is more important than total mileage. My son's first golf had 80K on it when we bought it and it was a fail train. This one had 265K on it and has been wonderful. But we bought it from the original owner and it was maintained by a TDI guru. That matters.