Long Cranking Time When Starting

Latenser

TDI
A4 Jetta, 1999.5, wht
I live in Hawaii, and virtually the outside air temp never goes bellow 55 Deg. F. My Owners Manual says that the glow plugs do not come on unless the coolant temp is below 40 Deg. F. So virtually my Glow Plugs never come on to assist in starting, theoretically!
But, when the Engine is cold it starts fast, and when the Engine is at running temp the Engine starting time is longer. I wonder why? Is that normal or is something wrong?

Robert Latenser

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
This has been one of the classic symptoms of a battery on it's way out. You've got a 99.5 and if it's the original battery, that would be the first thing to check. Check the fluid level in it first. If that is OK, then if you've got a local place that does battery checks for free, have it load tested.

Or just replace it.

While you're in the area of the battery, check the ground locations underneath it. There are a few grounds there and if they're not clean and tight, this can be the start of electrical problems too.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Hmmm is does not really sound normal. Normally it is the other way around, ie starts terrible cold, starts good warm.

So my first guess is going to the starter. When the starter motor is "warmer" it takes more current to get it going. Course maybe my first guess should be the battery as it should have more power when it is warm.

Long starting times are more often the battery as if the voltage drops below hmmm 9.0 or 8.5 the ECM will not allow the car to start. So maybe my first guess should be battery; the battery is easy to test if you have a multimeter and a friend: engine warm, hood up, friend measures battery voltage at 13.X or high 12.X; crank the baby and watch the voltage drop. If you have a Fluke 21/23 or higher, you can set it to catch the bottom voltage reached. Repeat a few times.

Good luck.
PS: 85-92 VW gas automatic jettas had a hot start problem that was due to the location of the starter relative to the exhaust manifold......

Boundless

BANNED
This is a classic TDI symptom of a defective starter. Some folks have gone for months or even years with these symptoms and the same battery. No weak battery would take that abuse for so long. Folks changed out the starter and are living happily ever after.

CHEMVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf TDI GLS (back in the family), 2002 Jetta GL (sold)
I have had a similar problem here in Illinois, doesn't seem to be related to cold temperature as far as I can tell. My TDI sometimes just doesn't want to start on the first try. She'll crank for 4-6 seconds and nothing. Second try works. The information on this thread is good though, I'm going to go check my battery fluid level and power to see if that is the case. Thanks for posting.

TeddyZ

TDI
Jetta GLS 99 Green
I also have a problem with LONG CRANKING while starting when the engine is HOT.
Cold starts are no problem.

I've heard several replies on here regarding the Battery, and I can attest to the fact that, the battery is Brand new.

I've also heard the Starter/motor mentioned a cpl times.

The problem is, the cranking speed (SEEMS)to be OK.
It seems to be cranking over at a good speed.

Any Other ideas out there?

Thanks.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
It is not sufficient for something to SEEM to be okay. It has to ACTUALLY be okay.

If the anti-shudder valve is properly opening (search forums) and the injection timing is okay, and the battery is ACTUALLY okay (once again, it is not sufficient to SEEM to be okay and it is not sufficient for it to be brand new - it has to ACTUALLY be okay) and there are no loose or corroded connections involving the battery or starter motor, then a weak starter motor is a possible candidate.

Shields

TDI
2002 silver
I experienced long starts and found out the pre heat was not working. I disconnected and have a manual button for preheating. i live in north florida and rarely use it but in the winter it is necessary. the reason was cost. The fix was $500 and the button was $200. good luck.DSP