www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old June 5th, 2019, 17:12   #76
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: very good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
Then skip over, ignore or report me to the thread police. I will save you the trouble as it seems to bother you so much.
Did I say it bothered me? But why in a VW discussion about legal infractions do we need to see photos your old (beautiful) Ford?
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2019, 17:12   #77
Mythdoc
Veteran Member

Default Disposal of buy-backs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
But you don't seem to take "scale" into account when evaluating the minuscule amounts of emissions put out by these cars due to the cheat. Sure their lying and installing the cheat software on the cars was on a huge worldwide scale. But the actual emissions were really a non issue, even when the worldwide problem is considered in perspective.

As I keep trying to remind you, my friend, the cheat was not undertaken for the sake of the minuscule amount of scale of the extra emissions released, but for the HUGE amount of scale of cash they were going to save in warranty claims to owners by taking a little pressure off their emissions systems. They wanted the systems to last 3 years (in the case of VWís) and 4 years (Audiís) at which point they would charge the buyer. For example, an adblue pump repair, cost to owner, $900? Times 10,000 of the sold 80,000 Touaregs, Q7ís, and Cayennes, etc. And thatís just one component.

Remember the issue with the size of the adblue tank? They wanted it to last a full service interval. They knew it would cost thousands of sales if they couldnít deliver that feature. But they convinced BMW and Benz to join them in capping the size of the tank anyway. It always comes down to cost, and the scale was huge.

2015 Q5 TDI w/ Chipwerke tuner, 36K Miles. Post fix MPG: 33.9
2015 Golf TDI SE, Lighting Package, 16K miles
2011 Touareg TDI (sold back, May 2018); 2015 Golf TDI S (totaled, Oct 2018)

Last edited by Mythdoc; June 6th, 2019 at 04:15.
Mythdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2019, 21:45   #78
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Sounds logical, Mythdoc.
Old June 10th, 2019, 08:43   #79
laxman21

Fuel Economy: 36.5

Her is just one lot of many around the harbor.

laxman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2019, 19:08   #80
sloinker
Veteran Member

I imagine the bean counters will determine if a car is worth the costs to make compliant or crush it. Many of those cars have lots of miles on them and are crusher bound.

Last edited by sloinker; June 10th, 2019 at 19:09. Reason: slipped in Mopar juice
sloinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2019, 16:08   #81
laxman21

That is the 5th or 6th one in the area and the newest.
Old June 14th, 2019, 17:03   #82
CheapBastard
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2014 JSW
Fuel Economy: First ever MPG calculation 38.1

Mine had a new battery, my guess is that every one of those batteries is dead
CheapBastard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2019, 17:09   #83
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Sure wish people would stop posting giant a** pictures that blow the page margins out, making it difficult to read without scrolling back and forth all the time. Try posting a smaller picture with a link to the larger one in case someone actually needs to see something at the original high resolution. Really no reason for these to be this size. 800x600 would do just fine.
Old June 14th, 2019, 19:25   #84
joshhol

Would VW store any of the cars that are going to be crushed? Do they filter them out at the point of buyback or collect them all and then decide?
joshhol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2019, 20:28   #85
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Probably a little of both I would imagine. Some are outright crushers, others someone would need to decide.
Old June 14th, 2019, 21:57   #86
Isaac-1

I know I am new here (shopping for a TDI for my son), but it seems that some of the buy back cars (assuming based on carfax history, with title going back to VW a couple of years ago) showing up at VW dealerships lately have well over 50,000 miles on the odometer. This makes me wonder just how bad a given car has to be in order to go to the crusher.

On a side point does anyone know of those photos were taken recently? Any idea how many more potential good low mileage 2015 TDI's are in the supply chain.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2019, 08:08   #87
hause

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger pete View Post
If one went to a boneyard but was on good shape, other than mileage, is there anything keeping them from putting it back on the road?

I assume they were salvage titles.

What a shame to crush so much useable stuff, in the name of the environment.

If governments really have a **** about the environment, they would have allowed these cars to remain in service and just cranked up the fines on VW a little more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buybacks have been selling through wholesale auctions since the Summer of 2017. They started with 2015 2.0L because they were approved first. Followed by earlier model CR engines in early 2018. Followed by 3.0L sometime in the fall of 2018.

Peak sales were around Dec 18 to Feb 19. They were selling cars for as low as $2500. Volkswagen figured out around March 1st of 2019 that "fixing" and warranty work would cost them more than this so they set a floor of $4k and anything that brings less than that gets crushed or goes to junkyard and gets a branded title (not suitable for road use). I am starting to see more and more salvage cars running through the block, most of these do bring over 4k wholesale, you guys will start seeing these available. I was buying around 6 tdi's a week earlier in the year but now so many "deep pocket" franchise dealers have caught on I'm buying much less. Not to mention the quality and volume of inventory has drastically decreased, less but still a lot of 3.0 though, just way fewer 2.0 L.
hause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2019, 09:03   #88
MBQ
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43.5MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by hause View Post
Buybacks have been selling through wholesale auctions since the Summer of 2017. They started with 2015 2.0L because they were approved first. Followed by earlier model CR engines in early 2018. Followed by 3.0L sometime in the fall of 2018.
Peak sales were around Dec 18 to Feb 19. They were selling cars for as low as $2500. Volkswagen figured out around March 1st of 2019 that "fixing" and warranty work would cost them more than this so they set a floor of $4k and anything that brings less than that gets crushed or goes to junkyard and gets a branded title (not suitable for road use). I am starting to see more and more salvage cars running through the block, most of these do bring over 4k wholesale, you guys will start seeing these available. I was buying around 6 tdi's a week earlier in the year but now so many "deep pocket" franchise dealers have caught on I'm buying much less. Not to mention the quality and volume of inventory has drastically decreased, less but still a lot of 3.0 though, just way fewer 2.0 L.
What exactly went wrong with those car?
MBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2019, 19:16   #89
CheapBastard
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2014 JSW
Fuel Economy: First ever MPG calculation 38.1

Looks like mine sat for a couple years, from September 2015 to sometime 2018, my fix was done March 2019

CheapBastard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2019, 00:01   #90
laxman21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
On a side point does anyone know of those photos were taken recently? Any idea how many more potential good low mileage 2015 TDI's are in the supply chain.
I took them a few days before I posted the pictures.