If your using Power Service additive, WATCH THIS

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I know in some threads recetly i have been slamming powerservice and calling it snake oil and that its really only good for gelling. well yea thats about all its ok at doing, and its not even good at it.
Ok, so i wont call it snake oil completely but the 911 is defiantly snake oil and probably the worst thing you an put in your diesel fuel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8gDN_6esfs

hopefully you all will stop putting some of this garbage in your cars and actually use some of the good stuff if you must.
still best overall other than the best for gelling is Amsoil 2-stroke, Tried and True.

but as for Power service that so much of you swear by? yea its actually hurting your engine if your using the 911 especially.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
He added it after it was frozen and it still did a piss poor job at what its supposed to do. says it has Contains Slickdiesel Lubricator to protect fuel pumps and injectors from increased wear caused by poor quality Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) fuel
it is actually just as bad if not slightly worse than normal fuel at wear and does not do a good job at ungelling fuel.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I know in some threads recetly i have been slamming powerservice and calling it snake oil and that its really only good for gelling. well yea thats about all its ok at doing, and its not even good at it.
Ok, so i wont call it snake oil completely but the 911 is defiantly snake oil and probably the worst thing you an put in your diesel fuel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8gDN_6esfs

hopefully you all will stop putting some of this garbage in your cars and actually use some of the good stuff if you must.
still best overall other than the best for gelling is Amsoil 2-stroke, Tried and True.

but as for Power service that so much of you swear by? yea its actually hurting your engine if your using the 911 especially.
And 2stroke oil is not good for your dpf if you have one. Personally i would add some denatured alcohol.

Giberish33

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDi 1z
I am able to easily buy howes or PS locally and where I live in Canada the fuel is treated but I still gelled up last winter when it was -35c for 2 or 3 days straight. Between those two, PS did a better job of lubricating vs the howes and they performed similarly as far as cloud point. They also cost the same amount where I live so to me PS is what I would run.

Probably not worth the cost in order to gain MPG or gain power but DBW and frank06 have commented on the injectors they have taken apart are cleaner when people have been using an additive of some kind for "maintenance". Not sure if this could also be achieved by doing maybe 2 or 3 diesel purges per year vs running an additive every tank. It would certainly be more cost effective. Ash-less 2 stroke is the way to go for the older non dpf tdi's for lubrication / mpg.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
and Hot Shot's Secret new LX4 Lubricity Extreme. It did very well on the wear tests that were done with it. Even using raw depot fuel before additives being added.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I run what I consider the best lubricity "additive" available in every tank. The home state mandates a 5-15% bio blend depending on the time of the year.
Additive has never resulted in improved mileage in my use, but those that work technically on injectors and nozzles maintain that water in fuel even in minute suspended amounts, has a very adverse effect on those precision parts. Regardless of the implications it's typically only in cold weather (half the year up here, it seems) that I use additives for the control of water (turns to ice below freezing) more than anti-gell properties.

FiveFilter

TDI
The bio part of the fuel blend mix can be hygroscopic and thus increase water in the fuel. Avoid if possible.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
You are correct it is hygroscopic, but in practice commercially made bio doesn't have water in it. Any more than the diesel that it's in has water in it. I've been using diesel with a biomix for over a decade and have never seen water in my fuel at all. I have no qualms with using commercial pump fuel from any reputable source that has a b20 or less biocomponent. Avoid if you want to but it really isn't necessary. Some states mandated it and everyone has to use it and we haven't heard complaints from those states.

Last edited:

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Yep, no issues with the pump bio (percentage varies depending on the time of the year, less bio-blend in cold weather months) mandated by MN. The increased lubricity is great, eliminates the need for additive much of the year.
There were some problems when the mandate was first implemented, but didn't take long to get those straightened out, it seemed. Been a state mandate for several years now and according to local bulk fuel distributor, even the off road stuff is bio blend and probably the heating fuel.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
... Personally i would add some denatured alcohol.
Not a good idea at all if your injection system has any component that relies on fuel for lubricity, which all diesel systems do.

My personal weapon of choice is winterized Redline. You can't find it at wally-world, so you actually have to plan ahead. For emergencies, my wife insists on having at least one gasser in the stable. (Not that they haven't failed as well, but that's a different discussion.)

Cheers,

PH