Info on disabled Canadian Block Heaters (Recall 19J9 & 19K4)

wegnerR-VW

TDI
2013 Golf Sportwagen
I am happy to report that the block heater on my 2013 Golf TDI Sportwagen is working fine now. When I first plugged it in there was no indication that the block heater was working. I had just changed oil so I had the belly pan off. I first unplugged the cord from the outlet and then disconnected the cable going from the plug on the bumper to the block heater by removing the yellow retaining clip and pulling it out of the block heater. It seemed to pull out too easily. I plugged the cord back in again and using a voltmeter I was able to confirm that 120v was going to the female terminals inside the cable outlet. There are 3 female connectors inside which slip over the spade terminals in the block heater. There is also a red o-ring around the outlet to help keep out moisture. When I first disconnected the cable from the block heater I could visibly see the o-ring so it seemed that it was not pushed in far enough. I applied some de-ox electrical grease to the female terminals inside the outlet and then pushed the outlet into the block heater. This time it went in further so I could not see the o-ring. I plugged the cord into the outlet again and within a few seconds I could hear the block heater working. It makes a sizzling sound when it is plugged in.
I hope this helps anyone else who may be having problems with their block heater.

Frank_TDI

TDI
'14 JSW
Hey everyone, thought I’d report back as well. Turns out my block heater has been restored to be functional as well! Been using it regularly this winter without any problems.

murphyslaw

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 TDI JSW/Sunroof/Nav/Man
I wish I could have got a block heater here in Alaska. Dealer installed an oil pan heater, but they don't warm the engine very well. I have not had time to install a frost fighter yet.