What did you pay for your 'fixed' CPO TDi

pbkid6974

TDI
none yet
You suck. I couldn’t for the life of me find a 2015 manual SEL (Golf nor Jetta, Sportwagens included) for under 20k in Wisconsin. I had been looking on and off for the last year, but was in college. Even if I had, I was not in a financial state to buy one. I’m still looking, and would consider selling my DSG if I came across one. I really miss the manual trans (and power) of my ALH.
The dealer I bought mine from has another one if your willing to travel to get it... let me know if you want details.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Al Tilley the bum

TDI
2013 Jetta sedan premium
2013 Jetta sedan w/premium package, manual, CPO, 58k miles, $12k.

Per the carfax it looks like the original owner was meticulous about taking it to the dealer for the 10k services. Leather seats, seatwarmers, moonroof, nav, etc., everything is in great shape and works. Bought it Saturday and it runs like a scalded dog.

The service dept. at the local VW dealer has a pretty good reputation (and better than the couple of shady import mechanics in town). Esp. with the CPO warranty I see no reason not to use them at least for the duration of the warranty.

Anyway they put on new tires, new batteries, new rotors and brake pads, did the 60k service, and fixed a bunch of other odds and ends that are needed after it was sitting in a lot in Michigan for two years after the buyback.

Like everyone else, I wanted a MT Sportwagen, but there was nothing within 200 miles. I was hoping not to get a sedan but even the MT Jettas are going quick and I knew this was wasn't going to last the weekend.

First time VW owner and first diesel. I'm cautiously optimistic. It's only been like 5 days but the thing is a blast to drive.

jdyno718

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat SE Manual
All manual transmission Passats except for the '15s are unfixed, as there is no approved fix for them.
i know, the point was finding an unfixed manual for sale from a dealer is nearly impossible, and the fact that this one came up. i couldn't pass it up.

TGOLF

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW Black/Cream, 2000 Golf silver/black
SOLD MY 2000 TDI WITH OVER 280K A few years ago and have been wanting to get a EV or diesel ever since.
Now my son is interested in a dealer CPO Golf, 4dr, TDI 2013 with under 17K and no sunroof. Asking $14,995 been on the lot couple months. In NW Washington, local car that got sold(?) back to VWoA to Michigan for a couple of years...so you know it was sitting outside in weather for those years.
From what I have read on this thread, seems to confirm my thought that the car is priced too high. Even though has had a 1K price drop to get to $14,995..my concern is it's still a 2013 and even with the very low miles couple years high miles we still have a 2013 not 2015 or newer with 35-50K on them.... Any thoughts of wisdom?

ebain21

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6M
That seems high to me as well. I paid $15,200 for my CPO 2012 Golf TDI, 4dr, Tech package (sun roof, Nav, HID lights, Dynaudio), with 39k miles in March 2018 and I still feel like I got ripped off a bit. I've had some issues related to it sitting and mine only sat for 6 months. I've put 26k miles on it and KBB is saying its worth about $10,000 now.

Al Tilley the bum

TDI
2013 Jetta sedan premium
SOLD MY 2000 TDI WITH OVER 280K A few years ago and have been wanting to get a EV or diesel ever since.
Now my son is interested in a dealer CPO Golf, 4dr, TDI 2013 with under 17K and no sunroof. Asking $14,995 been on the lot couple months. In NW Washington, local car that got sold(?) back to VWoA to Michigan for a couple of years...so you know it was sitting outside in weather for those years.
From what I have read on this thread, seems to confirm my thought that the car is priced too high. Even though has had a 1K price drop to get to $14,995..my concern is it's still a 2013 and even with the very low miles couple years high miles we still have a 2013 not 2015 or newer with 35-50K on them.... Any thoughts of wisdom?
Seems about the going rate per cargurus/autotrader for things in similar condition.

I'd want to know what all the dealer did to make it roadworthy. Mine got new tires and battery, among other things.

TGOLF

Veteran Member
TDI
Al Tilly and ebain thanks for the input, great points.

Concerned it sat in Michigan for years and ebain21 your point of value after some miles and want to find out what dealer did, warranty etc.
I would expect at least all fluids, brakes, battery updated and by whom. Manufacture, local dealer, Detroit chop shop...

The car is a base model I think. No nav, sunroof, leather, etc. That's why I think it is priced high. I'm thinking 13-13,500$ is fare deal....been on lot all summer...

Anything else CPO cars have had issues with I should be concerned with/ask about?

pbkid6974

TDI
none yet
Al Tilly and ebain thanks for the input, great points.

Concerned it sat in Michigan for years and ebain21 your point of value after some miles and want to find out what dealer did, warranty etc.

I would expect at least all fluids, brakes, battery updated and by whom. Manufacture, local dealer, Detroit chop shop...

The car is a base model I think. No nav, sunroof, leather, etc. That's why I think it is priced high. I'm thinking 13-13,500$ is fare deal....been on lot all summer...

Anything else CPO cars have had issues with I should be concerned with/ask about?
Make sure the tires aren't dry-rotting. make sure the brakes aren't seized.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
All bought back cars had their titles pass through VW Credit in Michigan. Doesn't mean the car ever was in Michigan. Carfax would tell you.

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
It's true. I got a parking ticket from California for mine last month, still with the old plates on. Haven't actually had it in my possession in two years. Nice to know it is still driving around at least.

ebain21

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6M
The unlimited mileage CPO warranty is very nice. Mine had new tires installed by the dealer and an oil change so no worries there. It probably could have used a coolant flush because mine needed a heater core last winter and I've had continuing issues with the A/C (leaking schrader valve that wasn't properly diagnosed). Both taillights were leaking too and I had those replaced, but that probably wasn't due to it sitting. If you can get it for 13-13.5k, that's not a bad deal from what I've seen. Mine was from a "best price" dealer so they didn't move on the price much.

TGOLF

Veteran Member
TDI
IndigoBlue you are right car didn’t ’go’ to Michigan was shipped to Aberdeen wa. Sitting on the waterfront lot for a couple years...maybe Michigan would have been better ��.
Going to go drive car today. Was updated by a he dealership. Service department is very good so think that is a good thing? Still very concerned on pricing. Thinking of sticking to 13-13.5K max. I’m almost to hinkng these cars should be in a rebuilt/salvage category...what would that value be I wonder.
Only has warranty on what was fixed plus extended drivetrain. I would insist on All fluids changed especially oil and DSG. Has had new battery and open to other concerns too.

pbkid6974

TDI
none yet
IndigoBlue you are right car didn’t ’go’ to Michigan was shipped to Aberdeen wa. Sitting on the waterfront lot for a couple years...maybe Michigan would have been better ������.
Going to go drive car today. Was updated by a he dealership. Service department is very good so think that is a good thing? Still very concerned on pricing. Thinking of sticking to 13-13.5K max. I’m almost to hinkng these cars should be in a rebuilt/salvage category...what would that value be I wonder.
Only has warranty on what was fixed plus extended drivetrain. I would insist on All fluids changed especially oil and DSG. Has had new battery and open to other concerns too.
The CPO warranty is 2 years/unlimited miles bumper to bumper on all 2.0 tdi vehicles. If they tell you anything else, walk away.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
This has been in the works for a while, but here's my son's '15 Passat TDI SEL.

This is his post-masters degree car, time to send his '02 Jetta on to its next home.

I found the car on the VW auction site back in March. When it was turned in it looked like this, which had made it hard to sell.

But it had a clean Carfax (I guess the accident didn't show up because it wasn't repaired), had exactly 40K miles on it, so no major service had been skipped, and it was returned in December of '18, so it only sat for a few months. And it was local to us.

Our dealer was very helpful, got the car for me, did the fix, and had it CPO'd. I then took delivery and took it to my local guru for body repairs. The damage was more extensive than we thought: it needed a core support, cooling "sandwich" and headlights. I bought a used front bumper assembly and hood from wrecking yards, and my guru had those painted and cleaned up some other minor dings. I also got rid of the 18" wheels (two were curbed anyway) and found a set of 16s from a '16 1.8T NMS at a local wrecking yard. New tires, full 40K service, and it's back on the road. I don't have the final bill for the repairs, but my guess is we'll be into the car for $14K.

I drove it for the first time the other night to deliver it to my son, and was impressed by how smooth and quiet it is. And also impressed that the FE in the MFI climbed to 48+ MPG over the course of a 35 mile highway drive at 75 MPH. I know those numbers are probably 10% high, but still...

I'm hoping this car gives my son long and trouble-free service. And the warranties provide great peace of mind.

Last edited:

TGOLF

Veteran Member
TDI
So I Bought from VW dealer, a 2014 sport wagon Blk/tan leather interior, DSG, and that HUGE sunroof with 17K miles. $14.3K.
The 4 door golf, no sunroof, we went to retest drive sold a couple hours before we got there. Had been on the lot for a couple of months were asking $14.5 i was surprised. I was going for $13.5 offer...
After looking at over a dozen or so cars from non VW dealerships and Independents. It was clear that non VW dealership's were not prepped well, not willing to address service issues I was going to required for purchase and warranty issues. In fact one dealership wasn't interested in addressing anything more than what they had done to the car. one place said they tested the battery and it was OK! Some cars even after a detail still looked like they had been sitting for years...

So what I got for the 2014 wagon $14.3 (17k) vs. 2013 Golf asking $14.5 (19K) no sunroof, no leather, aka Basic. Was a Full extended warranty, new tires, new windshield (very small chip),DSG service, oil, brakes lines, coolant, detailed to my specs and a small dent repair. Plus whatever their million points checklist is... While that is being completed gave us a new loaner, 2019 gasser.
It was more than I wanted to pay, but the more I looked, did as well as comfortable with. The service and possible followup issues and a great warranty I think from VW.

FYI-In my area there are dealerships advertising cars they've bought, but not even on their lots yet...Looked at few that were literally just off the truck!
*Almost forgot this car was one owner northern California inland car. I purchased NW Washington dealer.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
That's a rare car, but it depends on condition and how long it's been sitting. If it's perfect or close I'd go high teens, and go down from there if it's not cosmetically perfect or if it suffers from potential issues due to sitting for a year plus (assuming it was).

dutch.mafia

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
That's a rare car, but it depends on condition and how long it's been sitting. If it's perfect or close I'd go high teens, and go down from there if it's not cosmetically perfect or if it suffers from potential issues due to sitting for a year plus (assuming it was).

Yeah rare I know. Dealer is asking $23k. Way too high IMO. It’s out of state but pictures look like it’s in pristine shape. Has been sitting since the buyback and also not CPO. I’d have to sell my Golf private party - they’d only give me 12k trade in.

I wish I would have just waited to get one. I’d probably lose too much doing this so I most likely won’t.

Joe Romas

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sprotswagen
I bought my 2014 JSW with 13k miles with CPO last week from Hall Imports in Milwaukee Wisconsin after shopping online for a month. It's as nice of a car that anyone could ask for originally from NC and stored somewhere where the soil is red. Black, not my first choice color, DSG, heated leatherette seats and a RCD 510 Premium radio and with CPO you get three months Sirius trial. Radio has a 6 CD changer, SD memory card slot and backup camera.
Salesman Eric was super, car cost $15,991 plus $299 doc fee.
They were unloading another truck load of them when I was there and they must of had 30 to 40 tdi's.
Got 48.1 indicated MPG on the 400+ mile drive back to Ohio. Been getting high 30's around town.

Last edited:

dutch.mafia

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
I bought my 2014 JSW with 13k miles with CPO last week from Hall Imports in Milwaukee Wisconsin after shopping online for a month. It's as nice of a car that anyone could ask for originally from NC and stored somewhere where the soil is red. Black, not my first choice color, DSG, heated leatherette seats and a RCD 510 Premium radio and with CPO you get three months Sirius trial. Radio has a 6 CD changer, SD memory card slot and backup camera.
Salesman Eric was super, car cost $15,991 plus $299 doc fee.
They were unloading another truck load of them when I was there and they must of had 30 to 40 tdi's.
Got 48.1 indicated MPG on the 400+ mile drive back to Ohio. Been getting high 30's around town.

Sorry you had to deal with them. Sounds like you had a decent experience but they were so full of themselves when I was there. I live in Wisconsin so they were my first stop, but not my last. The one I was looking at there was over $1500 more than the one I bought. After they told me there was no wiggle room, we got up to leave and they came down $1000 instantly. We still left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quincy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI, 2007 Dodge Cummins QC 4X4 6 sp, 2007 John Deere 3120
What would you guys pay for a 2015 GSW 6MT SEL with less than 20k miles?
I keep my eye on 2015 TDIs on Seattle Craigslist to make sure I always owe less than mine would go for. I see those come and go when they are under $19k. They stay posted when the price is higher. A few months ago there was a bunch of manuals. There's only one wagon with 13,000 miles right now for $18k, but I think it is DSG.

batch1978

TDI
2013 Passat SEL TDI
2013 Passat SEL TDI

Hello I just purchased my certified preowned 2013 Passat with 34,000 miles for $12,900 Less than 36 hours later 60 miles driven i’m already driving a loaner because I noticed an oil leak on my garage floor. Took it back to the dealer fairly pissed off to discover the rear main seal was trash they’re replacing for free and waived the $50 deductible.

oxbowfarm

TDI
2014 JSW
2014 jsw dsg 68k

No sunroof. $8,600. Like new inside and out. Per the CARFAX it was only on the road for 2 years and 3 months so whoever had it did some serious driving.
This is my first VW. Hoping it will not come back to bite me but I have owned five BMWs so it can't be but so bad - right? For the price it is hard to beat the combination of ride, handling function and mileage. Averaging 39.8 MPG with no highway driving to speak of. On the highway around 46MPG.

TDILeo

Veteran Member
TDI
CW 2011 Golf TDI 6M Repurchased By VW 1/30/17 1985 VW GTI
Quite a number of TDIs available in the Portland/Seattle markets, private party and dealer. I often wonder what my buyback super low mileage 2011 Golf sold for and where. I know it received the 'fix' but I lost track of it.

srlbotanical

TDI
2011 JSW TDI Platinum Gray/Black Manual, Stage 2, Deleted
I found my unicorn.

2011 JSW TDI Platinum Gray, Black interior, solid roof, Manual 6-speed, 80K. I paid an even $8,200.

I looked forever for a dark gray or black on black manual with no pano roof (not a fan of them)

This will be a driver. I have a pretty long commute, so I'll do wheels/tires, a stage 1 tune and drive the snot out of this thing.

I was driving an A4 quattro with 260K and still going strong. I was looking hard for a JSW TSI back in May/June and decided I'd wait another year and retire the Audi next summer. Well, recently I was rear-ended. The A4 is done, so I started looking again for the wagon. I can't believe how the market has changed in 4 months. Especially for the manual cars.

I think these TDI deals are going to be dried up by next summer.

Fortunately, the sales guy understood it would be faster to just turn me loose in the off-site holding lots. I scoured over 200 vehicles in 3 separate lots to find the car I wanted. It was numbered from the auction, but not fully in their system yet.

I am stoked to say the least.

Last edited:

mydecember1985

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW 6MT ;2011 JSW (buy-back May 2017)
I found my unicorn.

I was looking hard for a JSW TSI back in May/June and decided I'd wait another year and retire the Audi next summer. Well, recently I was rear-ended. The A4 is done, so I started looking again for the wagon. I can't believe how the market has changed in 4 months. Especially for the manual cars.

Fortunately, the sales guy understood it would be faster to just turn me loose in the off-site holding lots. I scoured over 200 vehicles in 3 separate lots to find the car I wanted. It was numbered from the auction, but not fully in their system yet.

Can you elaborate regarding how the market has changed? I am looking to find the same 6MT with NO PANO in my area and wondering how you did on your search. Been looking for about 3 weeks now and only about 1-2 newly listed cars show up per week in a 200-mile radius. Searching autotempest and autotrader near daily.

Heading to a dealership tomorrow or this weekend to check out a few interesting ones. How did you convince them to turn you loose in the holding lot?

Last edited: