2015 Gen 3 Fix Phase 2 - First Impressions

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6 Speed MT
Why do all the folks with manual newer TDIs on here say you should be shifting no lower than 2500rpm cold and around 3000-3500rpm warm if the DSGs shift SO MUCH EARLIER?! And I also regularly read that anything below 1800rpm is lugging the engine - what gives, are you concerned?!
There's all sorts of philosophies on when to shift. Don't worry too much about what others are doing. If you can shift at lower RPMs without lugging, and want to do so, go for it. My 2013 MT Passat LOVED cruising at 1600 RPM, with no shudder at all. Honestly it could go down to 1400 RPM if there was very little load (gentle downhill slope, for example). Some wouldn't go that low because there's little power for rapid acceleration, but there's always room for personal preference in these discussions. Like some of the gurus on here say, "Drive more. Worry less."

lvfnchs

Veteran Member
TDI
Buyback: Golf TDI 2011 / Now have Golf TDI 2015
I just had the phase 2 fix along with my 60k mile service on the 2015 Golf TDI I purchased used last August. I did not get a full tank of fuel or any free services that I'm aware of. Since the fix over the weekend, I have noticed a different noise when I turn off the engine. Other than that, it actually feels a bit 'stiffer' in a good way, sort of more solid like my 2011 was. I like it so far.

Last edited:

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I just had the phase 2 fix along with my 60k mile service on the 2015 Golf TDI I purchased used last August. I did not get a full tank of gas or any free services that I'm aware of. Since the fix over the weekend, I have noticed a different noise when I turn off the engine. Other than that, it actually feels a bit 'stiffer' in a good way, sort of more solid like my 2011 was. I like it so far.
I certainly hope you didn’t get a full tank of “Gas”......

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
You can only do Phase II after Phase I was done.

Meaning you have full wty coverage on anything that could possibly cause CEL, so diag and fix thereof should be at 0 cost to you.

Radek

TDI
2015 Passat SEL

Meaning you have full wty coverage on anything that could possibly cause CEL, so diag and fix thereof should be at 0 cost to you.
Maybe it's up to a dealer , mine wanted to charge me for 1 hr labor, cell was on due to taking fuel with engine on

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium

This is not true to say a CEL fix is always covered by the extended emissions warranty.

An example would be a CEL set by a sensor or group of sensors, the cause of which is the sensors being supplied with a signal voltage to low to to erratic, the cause of which is a failing alternator. Failing alternators on these engines are not covered by the extended emissions warranty. So the dealership needs to have the opportunity to diagnose root cause of the CEL first. If the CEL is caused by an extended emissions warranty component, then the diagnosis cost is picked up by VW. If the CEL is caused by a component not covered by the extended emissions warranty, then the diagnosis cost and the parts and labor to repair are the responsibility of the owner.

yurkin89

TDI
2015 GSW TDI x2
This is not true to say a CEL fix is always covered by the extended emissions warranty.

An example would be a CEL set by a sensor or group of sensors, the cause of which is the sensors being supplied with a signal voltage to low to to erratic, the cause of which is a failing alternator. Failing alternators on these engines are not covered by the extended emissions warranty. So the dealership needs to have the opportunity to diagnose root cause of the CEL first. If the CEL is caused by an extended emissions warranty component, then the diagnosis cost is picked up by VW. If the CEL is caused by a component not covered by the extended emissions warranty, then the diagnosis cost and the parts and labor to repair are the responsibility of the owner.
I have 3 codes that keep coming up p2452, p2456, p0470.
I haven’t scheduled an appointment yet, thinking to just clear it before pulling into the lot.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I have 3 codes that keep coming up p2452, p2456, p0470.
I haven’t scheduled an appointment yet, thinking to just clear it before pulling into the lot.
P0470 EXHAUST PRESSURE SENSOR ERROR
This could be a faulty sensor or wiring or excessive upstream exhaust pressure

P2452 Diesel Particulate Filter Pressure Sensor 'A' Circuit
This typically is a problem with a clogged DPF

P2456 Diesel Particulate Filter Pressure Sensor 'A' Circuit Intermittent/Erratic
This typically means the detection of high upstream pressure from the DPF at times, not a steady high pressure, but fluctuates

Put all 3 together - I would investigate if the actual sensor is operating properly, has a wiring issue, or has tubing that is cracked or not firmly attached, at least the first look at the issue.

Assuming you want to have Phase 2 completed soon (meaning Phase 1 is already done), if your problem ends up being a clogged DPF, that replacement should be on VW under the extended emissions warranty. I would also think a problem with the sensor or tubing would be covered if that is the root cause, but I'm not 100% sure.

remzac

TDI
2015 GOlf TDI Trendline
Taking my CPO 2015 Volkswagen Golf TDI Trendline that I purchased a few months ago with Phase I applied in for phase II on Thursday (yeah, tomorrow). Fingers crossed it is better than Phase I. My 2011 Jetta TDI in phase one was very good. This Golf is a turtle. naturally I test drove it before they applied the fix. They applied it and off I went. So many dealers are now listed on the stock exchange businesses that are only after emptying your wallet. We will see what happens.

It does have a few trouble codes on it that I have taken off via ODBeleven:

P034100 - Camshaft Pos.Sensor Circ. Range/Performance Intermittent
B109D71 - Air distribution door motor Actuator jammed Intermittent
B1806F0 - Heated seat passenger's side Safety shutdon due to occupant detection Intermittent
B116229 - Selector lever park position lock switch Implausible signal Intermittent
B11CF53 - Tuner for satellite radio Deactivated static
B11CF96 - Tuner for satellite radio Internal malfunction Intermittent
Plan to have the dealer remedy them as well.
I appreciate everyone chiming in on the fixes. I love my TDI and its my third TDI. The older ones were so much easier (Rabbit/golf I) =)

Going with the Malone tunes may be an option later but they are expensive up here in Canada. I'll trade it off for a gasoline version of the Golf if I hate it

Last edited:

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Mine was at the Dealer for 18 days......got a Check engine light on the way home down pipe was loose.....car is fine now no problems since

capt_slow

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL
Is there something with your registration certificate you have that doesn't convince VW the car was previously sold to you?

You might want to make an appeal to the CRC - although this isn't am emissions settlement issue.

I finally took the car home today. Long story short, the selling dealer and the servicing dealer both filed for the Phase 2 fix on the car the same day. That threw off all sorts of alarms on VW's end and at one point, they thought the selling dealer sold us the car with an open recall. That said, something isnt quite right with the servicing dealer's paperwork:

• I was told a new DPF was installed, but the write-up only used parts 1K0-298-101-D and 5Q0-253-301-H and notes say only a NOX sensor and software update installed
  • They mentioned the recall label was missing. I looked back at my delivery photos and I see the Phase 1 label under the hood
I put 50 miles on the car right after and noticed a small improvement in power, but time will tell on fuel economy. I'll be driving it stock for a few days, before enable the linear throttle and starting vibration tweaks in VCDS.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Just completed my first fuel refill since having Phase 2A Emissions Modification completed. Drive 823 miles, pumped in 17.45 gallons, for a hand-calc 47.17 MPG (prior best ever was 47.76 MPG hand-calc, and average since taking ownership in Nov 2017 prior to Phase 2A modification was 41.82 MPG. I will need a few more refills to determine if actual MPG went up / stayed same / dropped. But it is a good sign so far.

Also, regarding difference between display and hand-calc (to determine if the display calibration was in some way altered at Phase 2A), my average display reading prior to Phase 2A was 4.03% higher than hand-calc; on this single post Phase 2A fuel up, the display read 5.36% higher. I only had one previous time when the display showed a higher value greater than 5% above hand-calc, and that just happened to be the refill just prior to the Phase 2A emissions modification. So I'm not sure if I can say there is a calibration difference on what the display shows for MPG vs. hand-calc or not yet - will need several more fuel-ups to get some more data.

I would say there are no perceivable differences of any type pre & post Phase 2A.

So all-in-all, no ill effects from having Phase 2A completed. There is potential the fuel mileage could be slightly higher - we'll see.

yurkin89

TDI
2015 GSW TDI x2
P0470 EXHAUST PRESSURE SENSOR ERROR
This could be a faulty sensor or wiring or excessive upstream exhaust pressure

P2452 Diesel Particulate Filter Pressure Sensor 'A' Circuit
This typically is a problem with a clogged DPF

P2456 Diesel Particulate Filter Pressure Sensor 'A' Circuit Intermittent/Erratic
This typically means the detection of high upstream pressure from the DPF at times, not a steady high pressure, but fluctuates

Put all 3 together - I would investigate if the actual sensor is operating properly, has a wiring issue, or has tubing that is cracked or not firmly attached, at least the first look at the issue.

Assuming you want to have Phase 2 completed soon (meaning Phase 1 is already done), if your problem ends up being a clogged DPF, that replacement should be on VW under the extended emissions warranty. I would also think a problem with the sensor or tubing would be covered if that is the root cause, but I'm not 100% sure.
Thank you for the info. Pulling into my driveway today I smelled burning plastic. Found both of DPF sensors half way melted!! 04L-131-552-DL
Any ideas what would cause them to heat up so much to melt?

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you for the info. Pulling into my driveway today I smelled burning plastic. Found both of DPF sensors half way melted!! 04L-131-552-DL
Any ideas what would cause them to heat up so much to melt?
So you have rebuilt salvage vehicle, right? If so, you have a lot more variables with yours than all those out there in their normal "factory" state. To speculate on why you have certain conditions would be most difficult.

That said, do you regularly drive long distance trips, or normally very short distances?

Previously, I gave you a speculation of a sensor failing. You now say 2 of your sensors have half-melted. Normally, if not a sensor problem, DPF codes point to a cracked DPF, where back pressures are too low because of the leak, and soot gets out and coats the downstream exhaust components in contact with the exhaust. It sounds to me like yours is more plugged up, for reasons that could be very many on a vehicle with a rebuilt salvage. But a plugged DPF being driven at sustained highway speeds with the ECU trying to regen a lot (which causes high temps in the DPF), your DPF may have subsequently overheated.

If your DPF was getting clogged, you would have had other DTC's earlier - did you? And did you keep clearing them without addressing why those DTC's were happening?

PaulN

TDI
2015 Sportwagen TDI
I'm noticing various discrepancies... can we pause for a moment and nail down a few things?

As I understand it from reading the settlement documents:

- the Gen 3 extended emissions warranty 11 years / 162K miles coverage from in service date takes effect at the completion of phase 1. This can be verified by checking your VIN status at the claims portal; if you have had the phase 1 it will indicate the extended warranty is in effect... the point being that you don't have to wait until phase 2 completion to be covered by the extended warranty.

- the whole thing about phase 2A and 2B... the 40K mile / 70K miles determination for whether you get 2A or 2B applies ONLY to cars that were purchased with the phase 1 already done - they get 2A. They back later after the car has 70K miles for 2A.

- if you bought a new car before the stop sale and you have had the phase 1 done, irrespective of mileage, your phase 2 is "full 2A+B" and will include a 2nd NOx sensor and the new hardware systems - DPF, DOC, and SCR, etc.

- the complimentary tank of fuel and maintenance service is when you get your DFP replaced the second time if your mileage was less than 40K/DSG or 70K/MT at the time of phase 2A+B, or when you get the 2B later after getting just the 2A (the cars bought after the stop sale with the phase 1 completed before time of purchase).

Just to be clear, here is the language...

Phase 2 of the emissions modification will involve outfitting your car with new emission control parts to ensure system reliability and durability over time. We will install a second nitrogen oxides (NOx) sensor and corresponding software to improve the performance of the on-board diagnostic (OBD) system. In addition, the Phase 2 update will include installation of a new Diesel Particulate Filter, Diesel Oxidation Catalyst, and Selective Catalytic Reduction Converter. These components are needed to maintain emissions performance for the full useful life (150,000 miles) of your vehicle. If your vehicle has accumulated less than 40,000 miles (for automatic transmissions) or 70,000 miles (for manual transmissions) at the time of your Phase 2 update, your car may need to have the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst replaced a second time before it reaches 150,000 miles.

If you purchased a vehicle with the Phase 1 emissions modification already applied and your vehicle has accumulated fewer than 40,000 miles (for automatic transmissions) or 70,000 miles (for manual transmissions) at the time of your Phase 2 update, we will not replace the Diesel Particulate Filter, Diesel Oxidation Catalyst, and Selective Catalytic Reduction Converter in your vehicle at that time and we request that you return at a future date for its replacement once your vehicle has accumulated at least 70,000 miles. At the time of this service, you will receive a complimentary maintenance service with a free tank of fuel and have the aforementioned hardware installed at that time.

Does anyone disagree with what I'm reading in the document?

Last edited:

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
Me likes the "at least 70K" part - as opposed to say "have to complete Phase 2B after 70K, before 100K miles".

Ride out the 11y/160K mile wty as much as you can (and luck affords). Then do the phase 2B and get another 5y/60K bump

################

Warranty Period
The warranty period for the “Extended Emissions Warranty” limited
warranty extension shall be the greater of:
 11 years or 162,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from
the vehicle’s original in-service date; OR
 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the
date and mileage of Phase 1 of the emissions modification.
At the time of the subsequent Phase 2 modification, the
extended warranty will be honored for 5 years or 60,000
miles, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage of
the completion of Phase 2.

#################

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Me likes the "at least 70K" part - as opposed to say "have to complete Phase 2B after 70K, before 100K miles".
Ride out the 11y/160K mile wty as much as you can (and luck affords). Then do the phase 2B and get another 5y/60K bump
################
Warranty Period
The warranty period for the “Extended Emissions Warranty” limited
warranty extension shall be the greater of:
 11 years or 162,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from
the vehicle’s original in-service date; OR
 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the
date and mileage of Phase 1 of the emissions modification.
At the time of the subsequent Phase 2 modification, the
extended warranty will be honored for 5 years or 60,000
miles, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage of
the completion of Phase 2.
#################
My Stick shift Jetta only had 45K and they did both phases anyway!

PaulN

TDI
2015 Sportwagen TDI
My Stick shift Jetta only had 45K and they did both phases anyway!

See my post #141 just above...

The 40K auto / 70K manual thing only applies to CPO cars (ones that were purchased after the stop sale with the phase 1 already installed before purchase.

If you bought your car before the stop sale you get both parts of phase 2, miles does not matter.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
See my post #141 just above...
The 40K auto / 70K manual thing only applies to CPO cars (ones that were purchased after the stop sale with the phase 1 already installed before purchase.
If you bought your car before the stop sale you get both parts of phase 2, miles does not matter.
That is not the way I read it when it 1st came out....whatever it is done

PaulN

TDI
2015 Sportwagen TDI
That is not the way I read it when it 1st came out....whatever it is done
Yeah, the "notices" kind of vary. That is why I posted #141 to touch base with others to see if they agreed.

Here are two that don't quite say the same thing:

1- This is the "Color Brochure" notice where there is confusion about who gets the 2A vs 2B.
go to www.vwcourtsettlement.com
chose 2.0 liter
and select "documents"
then choose "Approved Emissions Modification Notice - Volkswagen Generation 3 TDI Vehicles"

Says:
Emissions Modification Phase 2 :
(available beginning in early 2018 )
The second part of the emissions modification will involve outfitting your
car with new emission control parts to ensure system reliability and
durability over time. If your car exceeds 40,000 miles (for automatic
transmissions) or 70,000 miles (for manual transmissions) we will install
updated emissions control system hardware - specifically a new Diesel
Particulate Filter, Diesel Oxidation Catalyst, and Selective Catalytic
Reduction Converter - that is needed to maintain emissions
performance for the full useful life (150,000 miles) of your vehicle.
As
part of the Phase 2 modification, we will also install a second NOx
sensor and corresponding software to improve the performance of the
OBD system. The Phase 2 updates are expected to have no further
impact on overall vehicle reliability, durability, fuel economy, engine
sound, performance, or drivability.
You will receive a notice when Phase 2 of the emissions modification is
available for your vehicle. You should expect to receive this notice
before June 30, 2019. If your vehicle has accumulated fewer than
40,000 miles (for automatic transmissions) or 70,000 miles (for
manual transmissions) at the time of your Phase 2 update, your car will
need to have the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst replaced a second time
before it reaches 150,000 miles. We will notify you when it is time to
bring your car in for the second catalyst replacement.

The way you can tell they messed it up is by the second bold part about getting the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst replaced a second time, which does not makes sense if you didn't get it installed a first time.
This thing comes from last year.

2- The approved copy of the letter from Volkswagen
go to www.vwcourtsettlement.com
chose 2.0 liter
and select "documents"
then choose "Approved Emissions Modification Notice - Volkswagen Generation 3 TDI Vehicles - Phase 2"

This is the one I quoted in post 141 where they get it right.
This thing came earlier this year.

I have just been noticing people being surprised by what fix was applied compared to what they expected... the earlier notices were not completely clear.

Last edited:

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDi 6 Speed Manual
Yeah, the "notices" kind of vary. That is why I posted #141 to touch base with others to see if they agreed.
I have just been noticing people being surprised by what fix was applied compared to what they expected... the earlier notices were not completely clear.
Thanks for posting this. It changes what I had perceived as to what was to happen.
I bought my Passat used from a private party. But I did have P1 done under my ownership, so I'm going to assume I'll get a new DPF with 47,000 miles?
Anyhow, I'm going to attempt to schedule an appointment again. The first time I tried I was told no parts wold be available until after January 2019.

remzac

TDI
2015 GOlf TDI Trendline
Taking my CPO 2015 Volkswagen Golf TDI Trendline that I purchased a few months ago with Phase I applied in for phase II on Thursday (yeah, tomorrow). Fingers crossed it is better than Phase I. My 2011 Jetta TDI in phase one was very good. This Golf is a turtle. naturally I test drove it before they applied the fix. They applied it and off I went. So many dealers are now listed on the stock exchange businesses that are only after emptying your wallet. We will see what happens.
It does have a few trouble codes on it that I have taken off via ODBeleven:
P034100 - Camshaft Pos.Sensor Circ. Range/Performance Intermittent
B109D71 - Air distribution door motor Actuator jammed Intermittent
B1806F0 - Heated seat passenger's side Safety shutdon due to occupant detection Intermittent
B116229 - Selector lever park position lock switch Implausible signal Intermittent
B11CF53 - Tuner for satellite radio Deactivated static
B11CF96 - Tuner for satellite radio Internal malfunction Intermittent
Plan to have the dealer remedy them as well.
I appreciate everyone chiming in on the fixes. I love my TDI and its my third TDI. The older ones were so much easier (Rabbit/golf I) =)
Going with the Malone tunes may be an option later but they are expensive up here in Canada. I'll trade it off for a gasoline version of the Golf if I hate it
Well my TDI was in the shop about a week. I took it to a different dealer than where I bought it as a CPO.
The emissions parts took about 3 days to arrive. Drove a loaner (2017 Golf TSI Trendline) The shop reviewed the codes as quoted above.
I added the fact the A/C was weak as well.
B11CF96/B11CF96 and the fact the stereo intermittently changed to 88.7 (static) were resolved with TSB 91-15-07 which is a FW update.
B116229 was remedied with a shift selector replacement
A/C TSB 87-18-02 resolved the issue (new A/C compressor)
Anyway everything was resolved. The gas used on the loaner was free too (I had receipts)
Now the GEN3 emissions final stage changed the car. Engine is somewhat louder, and drivability is better. mileage is lower by about 0.1%
so not bad. I am very annoyed at the dealer I purchased the car from. As a CPO you would have thought they would read codes and remedy issues prior to selling it to a customer. Obviously they don't give a ****. With the auction purchase from VW and then the 2000$ run it through the dealer and the $2500 markup the dealer applies I know one thing - they are making big $$ off of the TDI's as that dealer does nothing to them but spit and polish the cars. Sad. If I had taken the 0% interest on a CPO TDI for 4 years they add about 5 grand to the price for an extended 2 year warrantee and 0% interest. What a rip off. I passed on it.

PaulN

TDI
2015 Sportwagen TDI
Dropped off my 2015 GSW M6 TDI with 32K miles for Phase 2. Was only able to do this by declining a loaner vehicle, otherwise would have had to wait to schedule an appointment up to 90 days out - the shortage of loaners rather than parts or service technicians being the problem. Apparently their loaner schedule is maxed out. Not really a problem for me because I have a second vehicle - a nice red 68 Type I (Bug).

Got it back eight days later. On the drive home it felt normal, maybe a little more perky, but after driving the bug for a week it was probably imagination. It did sound like it had even a little more growl than was added with Phase I, which I actually like; I like the sound of this diesel. Haven't had a chance to measure MPG but based on the consumption figures displayed in the instrument panel it looks like normal.

I think there must be an engineering design specification trade-off relationship among power, emissions, fuel economy, and engine noise. An important part of the fix seems to be allowing the engine noise to increase in order to improve emissions and retain power and economy...

When I got it home I opened the hood to check the new sticker and at first could not find it! The Phase I was on the car's left side of the hood with the other factory emission stickers, but the Phase 2 was over on the right. The work done was what I expected for a new car bought before the stop sale (one week before!):

new DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter)
new DOC (Diesel Oxidation Catalyst)
new SCRC (Selective Catalytic Reduction Converter)
second NOx (nitrogen oxides) sensor
software for the OBD (On-Board Diagnostics) system

While looking for the new sticker, I found a blue plastic cap designed to seal a 1/2 inch tube; it was just by itself laying on the top off the internal fender well... I could find nothing unplugged, nothing it could possibly fit, so went by the dealer next morning to show it to them and ask about it. Service people recognized it as part of the shipping packaging for the new DPF. They gave me a card so my next oil change service would be free... :)

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
The cheat code was called the "acoustic function" for a reason. One of the effects was noise reduction.