Strange regen anomaly- Have you experienced a really long regen?

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
The temperatures are just too high at 1000F+ to stop oil and air flow. The Turbo, DPF and entire exhaust system is seeing far more active regeneration cycles and work load then prior to the fix.

I will rarely interrupt an active DPF regen. Practice I have been using since my first common rail VW. But during my highway commute I am fortunate to normally not get caught in the middle of a full regen pulling into the parking lot and I do not drive the car around town on the weekends.

I have always run a scan gauge plumb into the lower center console to monitor EGT/DPF temps.

Last edited:

-:vw:-

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 SportWagen
I understanding what you are saying.
However if it as bad as it is being made out to be I would think the engineers at VW would have implemented a turbo timer in the vehicle.

It will be interesting to see if there is a rash of oil sludging and turbo failures on recalled TDI's that would cause... another recall.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Along with a regen awareness do you think a (non delete) tune is the answer for us poor emmision area guys? My 11 CPO only has till 2/21 on the DPF.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Sounds like the masses need some training in passive regens.

I.E. put your foot into the damn thing once in a while.
I do not think that has anything to do with it.
Agreed, although babying and bogging must be hard on the DPF. I have my apointment to put in my Polar fis shortly. Im anxious to see real world info. Interestingly Ive been experimenting on freeway speed gear selection. In 5th gear @ 65, the engine is just under 2k. Ive read my 2011 gears are taller? Ill be checking calculated mpg differance, but so far the lie-o-meter doesnt seem to really differ? I plan to watch for any DPF different parameter/operation with the Polar.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
I understanding what you are saying.
However if it as bad as it is being made out to be I would think the engineers at VW would have implemented a turbo timer in the vehicle.
Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Got one waiting. Been watching pre Kerma tune EGT temps and post. For long term turbo/oil life many agree below 400* EGT makes all the differance. I dont think anyone really wants to live for finishing a regen, myself included, thats why a turbo timer IS going in.

Should VW enginered even as much as a regenlight? Hell yes. But an additional $1 or 2 times 100's of thousand units...

DPF's are dropping dead already after the fix.
DPF wait of at least 6mo.'s. So is an occasional couple minutes worth it.

Along with a regen awareness do you think a (non delete) tune is the answer for us poor emmision area guys? My 11 CPO only has till 2/21 on the DPF.
Answering my own questions right now with both Polar FIS and a Kerma tune. Ive only got a few huundred miles but both temps and soot seem to be lowered. I documenting it in another thread.

Sounds like the masses need some training in passive regens.

I.E. put your foot into the damn thing once in a while.
Knowing the differance is good, but doing nothing about it is just as bad. Passive regens are the only thing you can be aware of but not really do anything about. Hence passive.