Dimming Instrument Lights

A. Meyer

Veteran Member
Has anyone come up with a way to dim the instrument lights more. I drive on a lot on unlighted rural roads and the instrument lights are just too bright at the lowest setting. About one year ago, this same question was raised, but no solution was offered. Anyone have any new ideas?

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
It looks like the way to accomplish this is to introduce a resistor (variable or fixed) to drop the voltage being supplied to the dimmer switch. This would have to be spliced into the wire connecting to pin 2 of that switch (solid gray wire).

A. Meyer

Veteran Member
In the previous thread on this subject, it was suggested that the instrument lights were LEDs. I don't have a manual yet. However, if true, I would need to know the Vf and current for the LEDs to calculate the resistance required. Alternatively, if someone knows the max ohms for the variable dimmer in place that would get me in the ballpark.

A. Meyer

Veteran Member
If the lights are LEDs, a low value resistance is what's required; maybe 50 - 75 ohms. Another option is a diode which will drop the voltage about 0.7 volts and thus dim the lights. I need to wait for my manual to see where the previously mentioned wires are found.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Just gently pry out the dimmer switch. Use a thin flat blade from the bottom to pry. The connector on the back of the dimmer has three wires. The one in the middle is the solid gray wire.

I pried mine out. In the process, one of the spring clips on one side came off. I had to use a magnetic tool to retrieve it from the switch's mounting hole. Easily reattached.

Speedracer

Veteran Member
MIGOLFGLSTDI, Speaking of clips, both of mine came off. One was easily recovered. The other, slid off to the right under the headlight switch. For those wondering on how to get that one, here goes.

Disconnect the dimmer switch from the harness

Pop out the a/c vent by prying on one side as you pull.

Remove the headlight switch by starting in the off position, push in on it and turn clockwise, then pull.

Disconnect the headlight switch from the harness.

You will find one torx screw where the switch was and the other screw where the a/c vent was. Pull whats left out and you will find that dam* clip under where the headlight switch was.

Autopilot

Veteran Member
TDI
Y2K Jetta 5 spd Canyon Red, 2013 JSW 6MT
The instrument lights are indeed LEDs. They are made by Osram. The LED's are from a family of part numbers that include the numbers LB 673 (the blue ones anyway). They are all surface mount devices. Some shine straight up, while others are set to shine at a right angle from the board they are mounted on.

A. Meyer

Veteran Member
Thanks for all the info. I think I'll probably use a diode in series with the LEDs since each diode drops the voltage around 0.7v. One may be enough.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Hi

Iealize this is an old thread but I figured I would ask here anyways and try to keep all the information in the same place...... how does one solder the diode in to change the brightness to make it lower?

I'm not in electronics Guru so part numbers and step by step instructions would be greatly appreciated I'd love to be able to do this modification also
Thanks

Andrew

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
put it in there just twisted together, if it still lights up, solder it
if it doesn't work, then flip it end for end

you're looking for the gray with blue stripe coming from the dimmer rheostat