New to TDIClub? Introduce yourself here!

Paulman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI (buyback at 109,000miles) 2014 Jetta TDI 59,000miles
Hey y'all,

I enjoyed my 2013 Jetta TDI/DSG for 106,000 miles and then turned it in for the buyback.
Then, I decided to buy a Golf since I have a longish commute: a 2017 GTI Sport manual (currently for sale) with 58,000 miles. A fantastic car! The GTI is a perfect hatchback although the ride is a bit on the firm side. But, hey, with a tune you outrun any police car in the country.

So, now I'm back in a 2014 Jetta TDI/DSG Premium with Navigation. Aside from a few annoyances in being a 5-year old car, this is like meeting an old friend! That low end torque upon acceleration is something no other car has.
Paul
North Carolina

LoganX

TDI
None (yet)
Hello all. Been eyeballing TDIs for a long time now but only recently got to the point where we need another commuter car for our household.

Working hard to sell the wife on agreeing to a TDI. Been eyeballing a certain 2015 Golf for sale by one of the members here but I'm afraid it's going to be gone by the time I finally talk her into it.

Going this weekend to the VW dealership to test drive a couple TDIs while explaining to the wife we could go see her parents in Florida more often if we could get there at half the price than what it costs to make the trip in her Tucson.

Anyway, quick hello and hope to actually have a TDI soon. In the meantime I rock a 2003 Ford F250 4x4 with the 7.3L. Once I have another car I can tear into the truck and get the coolant flush and fill done with the long-life coolant and a coolant filter. Maybe one of the water pumps designed for the International commercial motors that have been modified to fit the Ford app 7.3L. They have a coolant filter built in. Already have a 160amp OBS modified alternator under the hood. The headlight flicker from the crappy AutoZone alternator was killing me. Also have a fuel leak from the filter bowl to track down and some other minor issues that have been bugging me. *sigh* The life of a gearhead.

vwexpress

TDI
2015 Golf Sport Wagon
Have been looking for a commuter car, had idea's on a mini van of some sort, I'm a plumber, and carry a lot of tools. My 3/4 ton pick up hauls all these tools and my 4 wheeler, pull the trailer, etc etc. This is the reason I was looking at the mini van thing, space and capability to carry weight. Was dinging around the Toyota dealership right close by, and found this 2015 Golf Sportwagen, 25K miles on it, real nice shape, leather interior, smells bad of cigarettes. Drove it, looked for the emission fix sticker, saw how clean the engine compartment is, not pressure washed, and bought it. $13,000, got a 2 year 24,000 mile warranty, that I'll use up if less then a year, but whatever problems I find in a year, I'll take it straight to them, a Toyota dealership.... that didn't even know how to reset the TPMS light. I'll be throwing about a thousand pounds of tools in the back, heavy duty springs already in the mail. Hopefully whatever problems I have, some of you have had, and I'll be looking for help, thanks. Eino Williams.
Can't load pics yet, I dunno.

Last edited:

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
For the cigarette smoke, you can try unground coffee beans. Get a couple bags of your favorite coffee flavor, unground of course, leave in the car with the tops of the bags open, let sit for a few nights when not being driven. Should suck the smell right out. Least what I heard lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vwexpress

TDI
2015 Golf Sport Wagon
Thanks Professor, buuut, I don't drink coffee, have been trying some Citrus Magic, it's starting to work.
Also, can I change radio station pre stets on the steering wheel, or just reach?
And does the cruise control only step up by 5 mph increments?
Still learning the operating systems in the dash and steering wheel, very different from what I'm used to.
Love this little Sportwagen, getting like 45 mpg's compared to 12. Drive like 600 mile a week, the savings are huge here.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
I’m not a coffee drinker either lol, something I learned or more or less heard would work from a YouTube. Lol I drive about that much a week as well. I was getting 14.5 at best average with my 1500 truck lol. 35s killed the mpg go figure lmao

Regarding the cruise control, the silver buttons do 5 mph increments, the black buttons that read “res” and “set” will change they cruise control by 1 mpg increments.

CoachW

TDI
2006 Jetta tdi
First post, found the fourm in the middle of a cam shaft replacement

Hello All,

Thanks for all the useful tips and accurate facts. Couldn't have made it through cam, water pump, timing belt, and a few others without all the posted help!

Thank you!

vwexpress

TDI
2015 Golf Sport Wagon
Ha, thanks for the tip, regardless. We have similar history with trucks, still have mine, 3/4 ton on 35's, this VW is the work truck now. Putting in taller springs to even things out, hopefully.
Way cool on the cruise control, thank you.
What rear suspension do I have on this 2015, IRS it looks like to me, not sure, but looks like 2 separate lower arms under there.Thanks for helping me out, excellent.

MTDewX8

TDI
2015 TDI Golf Sel 6m
New 2015 Golf Hatch

So I was looking for a commute car and a golf wasn't on my list as I would of wanted the wagon for more space. since you can find them with a TDI for fuel mileage.

well I am across a 2015 TDI golf TDI with a 6 speed. was the SEL level and the kicker was it only had 450 miles when I pulled the trigger.

new to the TDI world, but felt this was a good option for a commute car. course its NEW still, now with 1800 miles on it, but liking it so far. getting snow tires as IM in Montana.

was in the one of the sticky threads and some of the links didn't work.

-was curious on break in time. I know that sounds strange with a 15' car and its almost 5 years old now. but still a valid question. my commute is 30 miles of hwy. mostly 80 speed limit.

Im guessing the best fuel mileage is under 2k, and that is where I Mostly hover around on the hwy. but should I fluctuate the rpm's to help break it.

Im still learning about the car and its controls (mostly steering wheel and radio stuff)
and IM sure I will have questions as I read more on the forums. I just wanted to get my first post out of the way.
I will continue to read and search.
thanks

CakeNFace

TDI
2012 Jetta Premium TDI
New TDI owner

Hi all,
I bought my 2012 Jetta TDI manual about 5 months and love it. Looking forward to reading about how to care for it the best way possible.

Herr Wizard

TDI
2012 Golf TDI with Tech Package
G'day, Folks,

Just bought a 2012 Golf TDI with tech package and 59,500 miles on it as my new commuter/boat car. Have been very happy with it so far.

sivarT

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen
TDI Noob

Hi all,

New to TDIs and new to the forums. Already exploring the forums and reading up on all things TDI.

My Jetta Sportwagen is one of the certified pre owned, post dieselgate cars. I feel like I paid a fair price for the Seattle area and the warranties made it seem like an even better deal. Time will tell. For now I plan to drive it till the wheels fall off... hopefully that’s in 10 or more years.

HardBoiled

TDI
2000 Golf GLS
New to the TDI scene

Hey ya'll, been driving my recently acquired Y2K Golf GLS TDI 5 spd ALH. I'm new to the diesel game. So far I'm liking the simplicity of it. It's my commuter, doing 100 miles a day in a Ram 1500 will humble you real fast. Doubt I'll ever get rid of it.

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Hey ya'll, been driving my recently acquired Y2K Golf GLS TDI 5 spd ALH. I'm new to the diesel game. So far I'm liking the simplicity of it. It's my commuter, doing 100 miles a day in a Ram 1500 will humble you real fast. Doubt I'll ever get rid of it.
Nice photo but you really need to shrink it by 60% or 70%. Don't crop, just change the resolution. It's way too big to fit any screen.

rumpless

TDI
2009 Passat B6 2.0 CR (CBBB)
Hello, as my 120,000km service is coming up I've been reading into the procedure in the workshop manual but it doesn't seem to specify the bolts' part numbers, just to renew them.
Surely I must be missing some kind of documentation listing all the parts, or at least the bolts in the engine?

Betteron2wheels

TDI
02 Jetta
New TDI Owner in DC

Hi all,

I just picked up an 02 Jetta GLS TDI with a low 220k on it from the original owner with a pile of service records. The 1st order of business is new dampers and tire and fresh fluids while I'm learning the language of TDI. She's not much to look at but I'll take a pic tomorrow and post it.

Cheers!

bossbrew

TDI
None yet
Hi all,
Been a member for a few years when I was looking at either a TDI Golf or a GTI. Bought the GTI and love it. My wife's EOS was rear ended/totaled, so we bought a clean CPO 2013 Golf TDI with 65,000 miles. So far, so good, except its white, and we wanted blue. Oh well. I'll be taking care of most things like oil, filters, brakes, etc, so I'll be poking around the forum for help. Any thoughts of things to look for?
Thanks,
Dave

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Hi all,
Been a member for a few years when I was looking at either a TDI Golf or a GTI. Bought the GTI and love it. My wife's EOS was rear ended/totaled, so we bought a clean CPO 2013 Golf TDI with 65,000 miles. So far, so good, except its white, and we wanted blue. Oh well. I'll be taking care of most things like oil, filters, brakes, etc, so I'll be poking around the forum for help. Any thoughts of things to look for?
Thanks,
Dave
You are new so welcome! All the things you ask about and more are here already for you to read. Go to the specific model forum and read to your hearts content or you get tired or overwhelmed. Good luck with the Golf! Get any outstanding maintenance done before anything else.

A3Dave

TDI
Audi A3
Just got my 2013 A3 in October, new to the forums, came from a 2015 BMW 328dx and already hate my Audi A3, but just saying Hi while i'm here trying to get parts.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Just got my 2013 A3 in October, new to the forums, came from a 2015 BMW 328dx and already hate my Audi A3, but just saying Hi while i'm here trying to get parts.

Hope it turns out better, I’m sorry your not a fan. The awd and more power in the bmw I think I would miss too. Also being new and more tech I assume are a large part.

Danvix

TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Hi everyone I'm the new guy not just to this site, but also to VW /TDI's. I just got a 2014 Passat SE TDI (CPO) and I'm really liking it!

I think it's really cool to see that there is so many people that love these cars and the willingness to help. I'm still learning the new vocabulary that is VW/TDI, but I'll get there.

Any way nice to meet you all
Dana

A3Dave

TDI
Audi A3
Hope it turns out better, I’m sorry your not a fan. The awd and more power in the bmw I think I would miss too. Also being new and more tech I assume are a large part.

Just a lot of issues and undisclosed problems with the vehicle I found out about after purchase, also not a fan of the DSG by any means, miss my smooth 8 speed ZF transmission.

But then again I got into this car knowingly as a downgrade due to switching jobs. Thanks again.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Just a lot of issues and undisclosed problems with the vehicle I found out about after purchase, also not a fan of the DSG by any means, miss my smooth 8 speed ZF transmission.

But then again I got into this car knowingly as a downgrade due to switching jobs. Thanks again.

Yeah the DSG has it moments of not being as smooth as a nicely tuned torque converter car. Keep in mind it’s a dual clutch so it will always be different than a usual auto car but I assume you know that already. When on even throttle shifts are rather smooth considering it’s a dual clutch.

A3Dave

TDI
Audi A3
Yeah the DSG has it moments of not being as smooth as a nicely tuned torque converter car. Keep in mind it’s a dual clutch so it will always be different than a usual auto car but I assume you know that already. When on even throttle shifts are rather smooth considering it’s a dual clutch.

My car has 70k miles and has a lot of issues with the DSG, I even did a fluid/filter service and nothing changed. I see the fluid was also changed once before at 40k miles.

The car bucks when coming to a stop, when I let off the brake pedal it launches forward as if my RPMs were at 1500 (but they're not). It slams into drive/reverse frequently to where the engine almost stalls out and makes a super loud noise.

Just not smooth at all. I have driven new Audis and got to admit it's a great quick transmission, but doesn't seem to hold up. My only guess now is it's either worn out, or a mechatronics issue. No transmission codes

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Yeah that is not normal operation. I’m sorry for your experience, but that is not how all DSGs are at all.

If you got a CPO warranty should cover any damages.

TDI-EDD

TDI
2012 VW Touareg LUX
Oil temp or pressure gage needed?

I am a complete Newbie, new to the VW Touareg, new to diesels and new to forums. I have recently picked up a low mileage 2012 Touareg LUX for both a daily driver and tow vehicle for a 4200 lb travel trailer. Seemed like the perfect vehicle for this. I am trying to get everything setup on the TREG for long trips pulling the camper. I have found a lot of great advice on this forum and am very thankful. One item I still have a question about is the lack of an oil temperature or oil pressure gage on my Touareg.

Questions: How important is an oil temp or pressure gage for a diesel? Does towing make this more important? Would you recommend an aftermarket gage be added and if so, any preferences? Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I would see if the app Torque would work for this. Way cheaper than adding a gauge. An old android phone or tablet and a BT OBDII dongle and the Torque app and you are on your way. Just have to find out if those are accessible from the OBDII port or not.

Cgshirley

TDI
Jetta wagon 2003 tdi
Helllllo! I'm throwing my hat in the ring!

I have a 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI 1.9L that has about 222k miles on it.

I'm in Oakland California. And my fuel pump is leaking ever so slightly.

I found this replacement rebuilt pump that seems too good to be true and potentially a great deal: https://www.ebay.com/i/264258316949...850BPeDIe__cJM7HSlkK2fbCycHTg7wcaAmvBEALw_wcB

I found a shop that will install a fuel pump for 4.5 hours or around $650. Fritz and Peters https://www.fritzandpeters.com

What do you all think if I should roll the die with this vendor selling rebuilt pumps from Poland on ebay, or if I should look at another option and get the mechanic to install it?