SMF Clutch Replacement Story (Sad!) and User Experience

afeinstein

TDI
2011 Sportwagen
On my 2011 JSW 6MT with 76k (salvage repair by me) the clutch has been getting a little rough of late. Frequent roughness in engaging 1st - easy start but gets rough as the clutch approaches full engagement. Then suddenly on our first freezing day the pedal is to the floor. CPO ran out.

No signs of hydraulic fluid leaks around master cylinder so forced to conclude that the slave cylinder in the tranny is bad. Shop recommends complete clutch and flywheel replacement (new slave is part of the clutch kit) and to move to a SMF (single mass flywheel). My car is not modded and I drive it real mellow so we went with the mildest good quality kit so we went for the Valeo one. The shop which is hold is very good in Cleveland, OH did the job at $1050 for parts and about 8 hours of labor. Seems fair. They also did a free alignment while they were in it. Inspection revealed that the seal in the slave had gone bad and this then leaked and messed with the clutch plate and then finally failed completely. It seemed like the flywheel also was pretty burnt/ discolored and the rubber in the middle of the 2 masses seemed especially loose and you could easily rotate the 2 masses with barely any pressure. Not a tight sandwich.

I was real worried about the noise factor and the possible vibrations from the SMF in the TDI and drive ability. Here is what I found:

1) It is a bit noisy at stop/ idle but the added new noises seem to synchronize with the diesel sounds and don't really bother, but there is a new "hum" to the diesel symphony. When accelerating, there is a new noise in there too that was not there with the DMF but again it does not bother or sound weird. It almost adds like an "electric motor" sound added to the diesel engine noise.
2) When in neutral, clutch in or out, there is no new vibrations or clatter that I can detect. I have heard that these SMF kits have been optimized over the years to damper more.
3) Clutch pedal feel and engagement are exactly like OEM. Same pressure and same bite. Very chilled.
4) Only thing that was a negative was that when the revs are low and you put it into 2nd and there is what seems like a lot of load on the clutch at low speed, there is more vibration in the drive train than before. Before you had some too but now its a little more.
5) Lastly you can feel the engine rev "more freely and easily" on acceleration which makes the car seem (or for real?) faster. Definitely you can feel the lighter flywheel setup having less heaviness on the crank and drivetrain.

Overall, it was a big shock that the clutch went out all of a sudden and who has an extra $2k to spend but I am least happy that this new clutch did work out well. I would love to know how the slave failed. My CPO ran out 2 weeks before this happened so sure seems like bad luck. But I wonder if the CPO would have covered the slave but not the flywheel?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
If the idea of having to r&r the transmission again in the next 5-20k miles is unacceptable to you, you should consider selling the car. The smf setup will kill the steel synchros in the gearbox in pretty short order. If you do sell it, be honest and mention the smf swap. Sorry for the bad news.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
On my 2011 JSW 6MT with 76k (salvage repair by me) the clutch has been getting a little rough of late. Frequent roughness in engaging 1st - easy start but gets rough as the clutch approaches full engagement. Then suddenly on our first freezing day the pedal is to the floor. CPO ran out.
How does a salvage repair vehicle become a CPO? Just curious I have owned salvage repair vehicles but never a CPO one.

afeinstein

TDI
2011 Sportwagen
Turbobrick240 - Have you heard about synchro issues on stock vehicles too? Maybe it is more on modded cars with upgraded clutch kits? Also I had heard that the Valeo clutch flywheel package has more vibration absorbing springiness than most and is designed for the greater vibration of the TDI. SO maybe it will not be so bad? Mine is a daily driver, no racing.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It doesn't make much difference if it's tuned or not. The harmonics passed through to the transaxle resonate at a certain frequency that vibrates the synchro rings like a tuning fork. The steel rings just can't take the vibrations like the brass ones did. I hate to say it, but that transmission is on borrowed time.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
If the idea of having to r&r the transmission again in the next 5-20k miles is unacceptable to you, you should consider selling the car. The smf setup will kill the steel synchros in the gearbox in pretty short order. If you do sell it, be honest and mention the smf swap. Sorry for the bad news.
I wouldn't say this is certain to happen. I've talked to a lot of customers who've done SMF conversions, and only a few have had synchro problems. And most of those cars were modified. The Valeo kit is pretty smooth, and if the driver isn't a hooligan the synchros may be fine.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I wouldn't say this is certain to happen. I've talked to a lot of customers who've done SMF conversions, and only a few have had synchro problems. And most of those cars were modified. The Valeo kit is pretty smooth, and if the driver isn't a hooligan the synchros may be fine.
Every single smf swap I've heard of on the '09+ tdi's has resulted in destroyed synchros. Some last longer than others, but they all seem to crap out by ~20k miles. It wasn't problematic on the older (pre-'09) boxes that had brass rings.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Wow. I haven't heard of that many. However, not a lot of our customers are putting in SMF kits. Our shop customers have installed a bunch of the Valeo kits and I haven't heard of issues, but perhaps the info hasn't gotten to me.

afeinstein

TDI
2011 Sportwagen
I did not see any footnotes like you describe. In their blog maybe? But Darkside does write:

These are a popular conversion on the 1.9 & 2.0 TDi Engines found in the Audi A4 / A6 and VW Passat

PLEASE NOTE - As with most of the Single Mass Flywheel Kits Available, there will be some noise at low RPMs and at idle. This is completely normal and will not damage your gearbox or engine

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I just looked and couldn't find it either. Ryan at Darkside is aware of the issue, iirc. You could message him, he's quite good at responding to questions.

Kevinski4

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Every single smf swap I've heard of on the '09+ tdi's has resulted in destroyed synchros. Some last longer than others, but they all seem to crap out by ~20k miles. It wasn't problematic on the older (pre-'09) boxes that had brass rings.

100% failure rate in 10-20k miles, sometime less, in the 02Q cars I've personally seen people attempt to run an SMF in.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I tried to order an SMF kit from SBC last week and they've discontinued the kit. They report that too many customers complained about the noise at idle, and they were warrantying kits that didn't have any issues. Didn't mention synchronizer problems.

Slurry Pumper

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan
Yeah, I got the South Bend SMF Endurance II clutch and a fluid dampener because of the synchro issue. I'm actually looking for a supplier of new synchros, I have the means to replicate the synchros ( I have use of a scanner), but I would like to meet with a manufacturer that knows this stuff so that they can modify the part as needed to get rid of me having to rebuild my tranny every 50K miles. Typically the 1st gear synchro goes so there is no downshifting into 1st while moving. Some of you may ask who is downshifting into 1st, and I can tell you when in traffic, you would want to do it as you're creeping along. As it is now, I need to be at a dead stop and then shift into 1st before I start to move.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It might be easier to find an 02M and fit that up than fabricating the synchros. I think some folks have done that.