Can inner CV be re-assembled without removing circlip?

mandrake slink

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI GLS
I bought brand new VW axle assemblies. When I went to install the driver's side, part number 1j0407271h, 4 of the ball bearings of the inner cv joint were out loose down in the boot grease. I looked at the info in the Bentley manual about reassembling the ball cage and inner cv, thinking this is normal like if it moves too much in shipping or something, but it seems I have to take the whole inner cv off the splined shaft to do so (remove the circlip). Am I missing something? Do cv assemblies fall apart once they're circliped onto the shaft if moved too much or too far?

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
They have to be taken apart and cleaned to be assembled in my experience. And the inner and outer rings are reverse of each other.
If you remove the lower ball joint without pulling the axle nut it can pull it apart. After it's been run it'll be catastrophic eventually. Mine lasted another 20,000 out so last time.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Wait, so you got a NEW cv axle and it came to you in parts????
RETURN THAT POS
its clearly a reman and NOT a quality oem part that will last.
you can rebuild your own old ones as long as its not severely worn down.
as to answere your question, NO, you have to remove it to take to boot off. watch some videos on how to rebuild them, its all about the same process.

what i would do if i was you and i have many times. go to junk yard, pick and pull your own axles, buy new QUALITY hard rubber OEM boots and some silicone grease and get to work rebuilding a QUALITY part, not some aftermarket or VW ripoff reman that has obviously returned or the poorest quality control on the earth.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Wait, so you got a NEW cv axle and it came to you in parts????
RETURN THAT POS
its clearly a reman and NOT a quality oem part that will last.
you can rebuild your own old ones as long as its not severely worn down.
as to answere your question, NO, you have to remove it to take to boot off. watch some videos on how to rebuild them, its all about the same process.

what i would do if i was you and i have many times. go to junk yard, pick and pull your own axles, buy new QUALITY hard rubber OEM boots and some silicone grease and get to work rebuilding a QUALITY part, not some aftermarket or VW ripoff reman that has obviously returned or the poorest quality control on the earth.

I didn't read he bought an axle. He bought some "assemblies" which would mean to me they are cv joint kits to refurb the axle.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I didn't read he bought an axle. He bought some "assemblies" which would mean to me they are cv joint kits to refurb the axle.
but then he said
"4 of the ball bearings of the inner cv joint were out loose down in the boot grease"

leads me to assume it was a full assembly for each side (assemblies)

so whats going on OP?

mandrake slink

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI GLS
Yes, this was supposed to be an entire axle assembly from axle nut to inner cv joint 1j0407271h . The part sent was defective and I wasn't knowledgable enough to realize it immediately. It was supposed to be a bolt-up part just like the passenger side axle and instead I got pieces rattling around loose in the cv boot with the circlip still on. It is being returned. I got a different one from IDparts in the mean time. Its already up on the car. Thanks, all!