1z acts up below 1800rpm

Almost1

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4 Sedan
The story continues...I pulled the dash to do the heater core and reseal the blend doors and forgot to plug the brake light switch back in. Glow plug light was blinking, and when I scanned it I found P01268 for quantity Adjuster. I cleared it thinking it was a fluke and it went back to just a CEL for CAT temp probe. A few days pass and I run through the gears at WOT for the first time since having the car and the glow plug light starts flashing again. Scanned it and P01268 came back and this time will not clear. The code is very vague and there are absolutely no drivability issues other than the hiccup. Anyone have any experience with this code?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Block 19 is telling the story of why it's setting the fault.

Block 19 is the results of the "sweep" test the quantity adjuster does every time the engine is first keyed on, before the engine is started.

Field 1 is the min position, field 2 is the max position.

Specs:
Field 1: 0.500V - 0.970V. You're well within spec here at the min
Field 2: 4.150V - 4.740V

The max voltage reading is too low. The quantity adjuster might be physically hanging up for some reason or another, or it's possible the electromagnet is no longer strong enough to move the QA to its max position.

Best/easiest fix is to replace the quantity adjuster with a known good unit, or just a whole new good pump. Attempting to fix QAs is a crap shoot and a large time sink for a maybe.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Last edited:

Almost1

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4 Sedan
So I picked up another pump from a member here and installed it last night. I'm waiting on some other parts to arrive today before I set timing and start the car. My question is, how do I know where to set the pump to get the timing close to in range before trying to start it? Is it just trial and error? I know you put the pin in to set the pulley, but I'm talking about the rotational adjustment of the mounting.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
full range of the adjustment on the ip won't damage anything, your going to have to adjust it anyways so just slap it on and adjust it as needed. starting in the middle is good advice.

Almost1

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4 Sedan
I think we have success!!! This weekend I replaced the pump thanks to the help you all gave me, timed it, and set IQ to 5. First impressions: the idle is crazy smooth! I also ordered Bosio 1019 nozzles calibrated from Kerma, and when I was removing the old ones I found out that 3 of my injectors were leaking compression by. Took it for a drive when I got it all buttoned up and man what a difference!! It's like a whole new car! No more jerking and it pulls hard! I can't wait for my stage 2 chips to come in now

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited: