Thoughts?? About to pull the trigger on a 2012 Passat Buyback

srow

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI w/VNT17/22, Injectors, 15lbs SMF, full stainless exhaust (Gone) 2002 Jetta TDI (Gone) 2003 Golf TDI (Gone) 2006 Jetta TDI (Gone) 2005 Jetta TDI (Gone) 2011 Jetta TDI (Gone) 2017 Ram 1500 4x4 Crew (current)
After a couple years' hiatus from TDIs, I'm about the pull the trigger on a 2012 Passat TDI Highline with 130,000kms / 80,000 mi for $8,000 CAD (that's like $1,500 USD:D) that's located 3 hours away in Montreal, which is quite literally $5,000 less ($56 USD) than what these are going for in Ottawa. It's from a used car dealer (not CPO), but I was able to get in contact with the dealership it was sold and serviced at its entire life (in New Brunswick). The only owner had the car in quarterly for tune-ups whether it needed it or not... so I'm not worried about abuse. The GM tells me the car was returned for the buyback.

HOWEVER, I haven't had a chance to see the car in person yet as it's 3 hours away (I've got lots of photos).
The salesman I've been dealing with sounds a little ...overworked -- he can't find the emission fix sticker, is it possible it doesn't have one? I called VW Canada and I'm told that recall #23U4 was completed on the car in November of 2017... is that not the recall? Is that the date the extended emission warranty started from? I've tried calling dealership service departments, and they're shockingly unaware that there was even an "admission":eek: issue in the first place...

madmedix

TDI
Passat
he can't find the emission fix sticker, is it possible it doesn't have one? I called VW Canada and I'm told that recall #23U4 was completed on the car in November of 2017... is that not the recall? Is that the date the extended emission warranty started from? I've tried calling dealership service departments, and they're shockingly unaware that there was even an "admission":eek: issue in the first place...

I'd say it's hard to miss if the car's been through the fixes: the first thing done is an x-acto blade taken to the OEM emissions sticker affixed to the core support just left of the hood latch and cut in a cross-hatch pattern. I understand the "suggested" place to put the stickers for the first and second part of the fix on the underside of the hood at bottom right. They're smaller, but still a sizable ~3x4" sticker. Can't miss them.
IMHO I would assume nothing unless there's proof from VWoC b/c I don't think the private dealer in PQ will have access to that.

Next - if you spoke to VW dealer service departments and you got that answer - I'd put a fin on them playing silly to get you off the phone. No one on this continent with that dealer emblem is "unaware" of anything TDI related. Heck - two dealers near me *still* have storage containers on their back lots full of winter tires that they bought from owners turning in their cars and are having a bear of a time selling them so lol yea - they're aware.
HTH :)

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I'd say it's hard to miss if the car's been through the fixes: the first thing done is an x-acto blade taken to the OEM emissions sticker affixed to the core support just left of the hood latch and cut in a cross-hatch pattern.
Ummm, What? No. The recall has nothing to do with "cutting" the original emission sticker. The Vw issued emissions stickers are already pre-cut. It is an anti'tamper device to make sure the sticker isnt taken off of one car and put onto another. If you google "Vw Emission Label" you will see brand new stickers already have the cross hatch cuts.

I understand the "REQUIRED" place to put the stickers for the first and second part of the fix on the underside of the hood at bottom right.
The sticker placement is a requirement from Vw. Not a suggestion.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
The GM tells me the car was returned for the buyback.

he can't find the emission fix sticker, is it possible it doesn't have one? I called VW Canada and I'm told that recall #23U4 was completed on the car in November of 2017... is that not the recall? Is that the date the extended emission warranty started from?
You can go to Vwdieselinfo.com and input the VIN.

Vw will tell you if the recall has been completed as well as the date and mileage it was completed.

srow

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI w/VNT17/22, Injectors, 15lbs SMF, full stainless exhaust (Gone) 2002 Jetta TDI (Gone) 2003 Golf TDI (Gone) 2006 Jetta TDI (Gone) 2005 Jetta TDI (Gone) 2011 Jetta TDI (Gone) 2017 Ram 1500 4x4 Crew (current)
Thanks Madmedix -- I'll bug the sales guy Monday to look under the hood -- I did ask him to look there originally, but there may be a bit of a language barrier between myself et la belle province...

Fixmy59bug -- that site doesn't work up here in the frozen s-hole of Hoth -- inputting VIN returns "This vehicle is not part of the US settlement, but if you have a Canadian vehicle you can visit https://www.vwcanadasettlement.ca/en to review your eligibility"... which has no VIN search and looks like a website from the late '90s.

I'm pretty sure the 2012-2014 Passat DSG's only had a one-part fix? Being Recall #23U4 (which VW has told me was done) -- can anyone confirm?

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
The emissions modification is 23u4, there was a second software update dealing with ad blue usage over 80 mph, 23z3.

madmedix

TDI
Passat
Ummm, What? No. The recall has nothing to do with "cutting" the original emission sticker. The Vw issued emissions stickers are already pre-cut. It is an anti'tamper device to make sure the sticker isnt taken off of one car and put onto another. If you google "Vw Emission Label" you will see brand new stickers already have the cross hatch cuts.

The sticker placement is a requirement from Vw. Not a suggestion.

Umm Yes. Shame I didn't think to take a picture of my '12 Passat TDI which had a fully intact sticker. As for the placement - simply repeating the words of the service manager. Didn't realize you were in the boardroom @ VWoA when that determination was made. Settle down.

srow

TDI
The emissions modification is 23u4, there was a second software update dealing with ad blue usage over 80 mph, 23z3.
Awesome, both of those were done as per VWoC. It's wild that I talked to two service departments that couldn't figure that out though. Thanks

franky67

TDI
2013 Passat TDI Se
After a couple years' hiatus from TDIs, I'm about the pull the trigger on a 2012 Passat TDI Highline with 130,000kms / 80,000 mi for $8,000 CAD (that's like $1,500 USD:D)
That sounds like a GREAT deal!
I would buy 3 more passats if they were 1500$ here in the US.:D

abishoff

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I would like a 2015 TDI buyback and replace my current 2015 with 140k miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A3Dave

TDI
Audi A3
Don't do it, just bought my 2013 A3 and it has been nothing but problems. DPF and EGR failures I've been in and out of the dealership. Not including the numerous issues the car has from sitting around for two years.

abishoff

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Don't do it, just bought my 2013 A3 and it has been nothing but problems. DPF and EGR failures I've been in and out of the dealership. Not including the numerous issues the car has from sitting around for two years.

If it covered under warranty. Who cares? And if they give you a loaner. Also once the warranty is expired you can delete all that stuff.

A3Dave

TDI
Audi A3
If it covered under warranty. Who cares? And if they give you a loaner. Also once the warranty is expired you can delete all that stuff.

Because it's a headache, it took 5 separate dealer visits for them to finally admit fault.

Not something that me as a new owner should have to deal with, nor does it give me any brand confidence. My time is worth more than dealing with warranty issues.

Not only that the DPF is on back order indefinitely with no ETA so I'm driving around with a check engine light and blowing out black smoke. Awesome

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
It's a 4-5 year old used car, someone expecting perfection and buying a VW/Audi is surely in for a surprise.

srow

TDI
Well I trailered it home this past weekend and got it safetied today. I've put about 500 km's on it so far and it runs great, and there were no issues with safety -- however, the road noise is absolutely brutal -- I obviously missed all the threads on this being an issue with these cars... *facepalm*.

srow

TDI
Sounds like it may be time for new tires :) love my Michelins, still pretty quiet at 35,000 miles
It has winters on it now which is definitely part of the problem -- but my reseach says these are actually quiet winter tires... if the weather stays nice here I'll try swapping the summer tires on to test this weekend.