Flat towing a 2012 MT Passat

HowieE

TDI
2015 Passat stick shift
Any comments on flat towing a 2012 manual transmission Passat. The hardware is made for that year car but there have been questions. I want to know what the foundation for those questions are, mechanical or legal cover their ass.

newguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6M White
I have flat towed with 2012, 2014 and 2015 manual passats.

It’s perfect- don’t sweat it. Blue ox made the baseplate based on my car.

HowieE

TDI
2015 Passat stick shift
It looks like we share opinions when it comes to mot following the Crowd Thinking. Having modified almost everything I ever owned I again wanted to follow that trend and use a Passat as a Dinghy.

Would you comment on how you set up the Passats beyond the base plate installation? Most interested in the tail light system as VW has a history of strange wiring when it came to tail lights.

Currently looking at a 2015 stick shift to set up as a Dinghy.

newguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I just drilled out and put a second light bulb in the tail light assembly.

No complication on wiring that way.

I would put the key in to unlock the steering wheel, leave the trans in NEUTRAL, and the parking brake off... then tow away!!

HowieE

TDI
2015 Passat stick shift
Putting the key in and in what position?
I assume with a second bulb in the tail lights you had to run wires forward to the 7 pin umbilical cord.

When out this afternoon to drive the Passat in question and that really got my interest up. The only problem is it has a DEF system and that and the VW certification kind of limit the mode possibilities.

A up date that Passat is a 2015 with 16,000 miles.

Last edited:

newguy

Veteran Member
TDI
As for the key - I turn the car “on” and then turn it off one click to shut off the engine and accessories, but it keeps the steering wheel unlocked.