www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub


Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 27th, 2019, 15:35   #16
greenbubba
Newbie
 
greenbubba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: raleigh nc
TDI(s): 2006 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 40
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-98AHU View Post
I've been installing OE China VW radios for people.

Simple, easy to use and figure out, cheap. Easy installation. Bluetooth for calling and audio streaming, though it's maybe a little limited in its function with Android phones as far as controlling streaming via the radio and doesn't import contacts on Android either. But, still streams just fine.

Did I mention cheap? Oh, and if you have a mid 2002 and newer car that already has the factory double din setup (quad lock connector, CAN bus to the radio, Fakra style antenna connector) there is a plug n play adapter that also makes the job easy and even works with the factory steering wheel buttons.

The early 2002 and earlier that were single din from the factory with the ISO wiring, steering wheel controls are not compatible. At least I haven't yet found a LIN to CAN converter for those controls.

RCN210 on AliExpress

If the car you're wanting to install this in is your 2000, you should be the single din with older ISO connector. The adapter this radio automatically comes with is compatible.

If anyone has a 2002 and newer that was double din from the factory with the quadlock connector, there is a different adapter you can buy to make it all plug n play (and again, works with steering wheel controls):

Quadlock adapter and CAN converter

The prices are indeed super cheap, but they'll get you on shipping. So, even with having to order the extra quad lock adapter on later cars, with shipping it could total $120 or more for both items. Still a steal for an OE quality radio that's a nice, near drop-in replacement for Mk4s and B5.5s.
Do you need to worry about ant-theft codes with the Bodenla? My mechanic also said some radios are not compatible with the diagnostic system. I've got a 2006 Jetta.
greenbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2019, 18:17   #17
Matt-98AHU
Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
 
Matt-98AHU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Vallejo, CA
Fuel Economy: Depends on which TDI :)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbubba View Post
Do you need to worry about ant-theft codes with the Bodenla? My mechanic also said some radios are not compatible with the diagnostic system. I've got a 2006 Jetta.
No, you do not.

The radio I linked to, however, is for Mk4 and B5 era cars, not Mk5.

There are a lot of options for the mk5, however, and Bodenla has some of them as well, even has a package to wire in a reverse camera that fits and works like OE.

Found here

A customer of mine bought one for his NMS Passat and likes it a lot. For early mk5s, you may need to buy one of his CAN Bus converters to avoid battery drain issues as well as enable steering wheel button compatibility.
__________________
Sole Proprietor, Diesel Autowerks in San Anselmo, CA. One man operation, email is preferred method of contact: email me with inquiries for service.
Matt-98AHU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2019, 09:23   #18
NewTdi
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: NorCal
Fuel Economy: 58/46/39
Default

How difficult is it to retrofit a steering wheel control module/kit in a car that does not currently have that feature?
__________________
03 MK IV Sedan 341k miles, BW S7 turbo, RC, PP764, SMIC, 3bar, SB Stage 2 end., PD130/150 TIP - NO SMOKE - Audi TT bushings, Koni Yellow, stock springs.[B]
03 MK IV Wagon 508k miles - GONE TOO SOON

Thank you MATT for the continued car care
NewTdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2019, 19:46   #19
hskrdu
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Maryland and New England
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTdi View Post
How difficult is it to retrofit a steering wheel control module/kit in a car that does not currently have that feature?
Check Lito's notes in this thread, and search MFSW:

https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=37353
__________________
Now: 03 Golf GLS TDI 5SPD & (hers) 03 Jetta GLS TDI 5SPD & 2015 GSW TDI 6M
Then: 99 Jetta GLS TDI, 94 Golf GL, 85 Golf GL, 85 Golf, 79 Rabbit C, 68 Beetle, 65 Beetle
hskrdu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2019, 07:59   #20
NewTdi
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: NorCal
Fuel Economy: 58/46/39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hskrdu View Post
Check Lito's notes in this thread, and search MFSW:

https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=37353
I think I can live without the steering wheel controls; I will just upgrade to a 3 spoke steering wheel and be happy with that!
__________________
03 MK IV Sedan 341k miles, BW S7 turbo, RC, PP764, SMIC, 3bar, SB Stage 2 end., PD130/150 TIP - NO SMOKE - Audi TT bushings, Koni Yellow, stock springs.[B]
03 MK IV Wagon 508k miles - GONE TOO SOON

Thank you MATT for the continued car care
NewTdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2019, 10:47   #21
greenbubba
Newbie
 
greenbubba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: raleigh nc
TDI(s): 2006 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 40
Default

Mucho thanks Matt! The battery drain issue is exactly why I want to replace the radio.
greenbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2019, 16:28   #22
Savageman69
Veteran Member
 
Savageman69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: ontario
Default

love my 8 inch android unit
__________________
2012 Touareg v6 TDI - 8spd - Silver - Weathertechs - Buzzken Downpipe/Dpf/Scr Pipes - Hybrid 2260 - 4 Bar Map - JR Auto Performance/Buzzken Stage 3 Tune - 30.5 BFG k02s - 2.5inch Lift - Cayenne Trans Coding - Gutted/Painted Muffler - Full Led Swap - EGR Cooler Delete
2006 Jetta TDI 5pd
Savageman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2019, 19:55   #23
NewTdi
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: NorCal
Fuel Economy: 58/46/39
Default

What make/model unit did you install?
__________________
03 MK IV Sedan 341k miles, BW S7 turbo, RC, PP764, SMIC, 3bar, SB Stage 2 end., PD130/150 TIP - NO SMOKE - Audi TT bushings, Koni Yellow, stock springs.[B]
03 MK IV Wagon 508k miles - GONE TOO SOON

Thank you MATT for the continued car care
NewTdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2019, 20:52   #24
Savageman69
Veteran Member
 
Savageman69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: ontario
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTdi View Post
What make/model unit did you install?
This one its 4gb of ram model

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/9-Android-8-...cAAOSwfCpbI9ty
__________________
2012 Touareg v6 TDI - 8spd - Silver - Weathertechs - Buzzken Downpipe/Dpf/Scr Pipes - Hybrid 2260 - 4 Bar Map - JR Auto Performance/Buzzken Stage 3 Tune - 30.5 BFG k02s - 2.5inch Lift - Cayenne Trans Coding - Gutted/Painted Muffler - Full Led Swap - EGR Cooler Delete
2006 Jetta TDI 5pd
Savageman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2019, 12:47   #25
hooville
Veteran Member
 
hooville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Marietta, GA
Fuel Economy: 43.2 lifetime average!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-98AHU View Post
I've been installing OE China VW radios for people.

Simple, easy to use and figure out, cheap. Easy installation. Bluetooth for calling and audio streaming, though it's maybe a little limited in its function with Android phones as far as controlling streaming via the radio and doesn't import contacts on Android either. But, still streams just fine.

Did I mention cheap? Oh, and if you have a mid 2002 and newer car that already has the factory double din setup (quad lock connector, CAN bus to the radio, Fakra style antenna connector) there is a plug n play adapter that also makes the job easy and even works with the factory steering wheel buttons.

The early 2002 and earlier that were single din from the factory with the ISO wiring, steering wheel controls are not compatible. At least I haven't yet found a LIN to CAN converter for those controls.

RCN210 on AliExpress

If the car you're wanting to install this in is your 2000, you should be the single din with older ISO connector. The adapter this radio automatically comes with is compatible.

If anyone has a 2002 and newer that was double din from the factory with the quadlock connector, there is a different adapter you can buy to make it all plug n play (and again, works with steering wheel controls):

Quadlock adapter and CAN converter

The prices are indeed super cheap, but they'll get you on shipping. So, even with having to order the extra quad lock adapter on later cars, with shipping it could total $120 or more for both items. Still a steal for an OE quality radio that's a nice, near drop-in replacement for Mk4s and B5.5s.
Many thanks for this, I have been looking at the Bodenla unit for a while trying to decide if it's the one for the MK4 and you tipped the balance!

FYI, I did the MIB2 upgrade for our MK7 TDI last August and it's not that big a PITA: Start sourcing the hardware you want as deals appear, grab the USB/AUX port from Bodenla and rent the VAS dongle from a MK7 Forum Member when all the pieces are in place. Totally worth the effort, my only regret is not doing it sooner!

Merry Merry to all!
__________________
White 2015 Sportwagen S TDI - No Mods...yet!
White 2016 GTI S - A few OEM Mods so far...
Silver 2000 Golf GLS TDI - CAT 2 Filter, Shine Real Street Suspension, Bilsteins, RC3, Nozzles
hooville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2020, 06:23   #26
pedroYUL
Veteran Member
 
pedroYUL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: MI, USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooville View Post
FYI, I did the MIB2 upgrade for our MK7 TDI last August and it's not that big a PITA: Start sourcing the hardware you want as deals appear, grab the USB/AUX port from Bodenla and rent the VAS dongle from a MK7 Forum Member when all the pieces are in place. Totally worth the effort, my only regret is not doing it sooner!
Could you please elaborate, on what and how do you do with the VAS tool to make the MIB2 work?
pedroYUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Radio Pinouts - Premium VI Radio (Double-DIN unit) Michael Moore General VW Discussion 2 March 1st, 2017 08:41
Installing single-DIN radio in place of double-DIN Premium 6 nukefission Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) 3 February 9th, 2009 09:19
conversion from single din to double din radio/cd. silverbeast Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) 7 June 25th, 2005 11:41
conversion from single din to double din radio/cd. silverbeast VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) 0 May 26th, 2005 14:18
Help removing Double Din radio paramedick VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) 12 May 7th, 2005 15:23


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 19:41.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright - TDIClub Online LTD - 2017
Contact Us | Privacy Statement | Forum Rules | Disclaimer
TDIClub Online Ltd (TDIClub.com) is not affiliated with the VWoA or VWAG and is supported by contributions from viewers like you.
1996 - 2017, All Rights Reserved
Page generated in 0.20069 seconds with 11 queries
[Output: 112.05 Kb. compressed to 95.77 Kb. by saving 16.28 Kb. (14.53%)]