MK7 Brake Upgrade

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
And for some laughs, the opposite of a big brake kit, haha... I've got to get the rear power pack brakes installed ASAP.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I actually think the daylight coming through an open wheel with stock brakes looks cool. The track ready look is cool too, but not cheap.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I think my wheel gap says "I'm not going to the track" but I see the appeal of seeing light through the wheels. Certainly wasn't cheap considering it's purely aesthetic for me but the Rotorlabs kit is a great deal. The 17z kit I bought runs $825 (includes mounting hardware, calipers and rotors). Pads were about $50, brake lines $75 and spacers around $75. Figure another $50-60 for shipping and you're still under $1100 excluding labor. The 18z kit is $150 more.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I have a feeling that fender gap won't be hanging around for long. I just went from a lowered golf on sport springs(stiff) and 17's, to a stock golf on 15's and must admit the ride is much more comfortable. Maybe I'll feel differently once summer rolls around.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I have a feeling that fender gap won't be hanging around for long...
You might be surprised, I went from H&R's back to this at the same time the brakes were installed. Added 034 Motorsports fixed camber mounts too but they're coming off next chance I get.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I may try to install this weekend. You say the brake lines worked perfect, were they able to be clipped into an existing mounting tab to keep from flapping around?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
I going to have a look at a LBK too :). I have my BBK tucked into my 19" BBS's. The rear kit is almost as big as the fronts.

Crazy stopping power even with the trailer attached.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I may try to install this weekend. You say the brake lines worked perfect, were they able to be clipped into an existing mounting tab to keep from flapping around?

Yes they were, same place as the factory lines. I'll pull a wheel off at some point this weekend and snap a picture.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
MK4 R32 brake lines up front, secured in the factory location.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Finally getting around to installing these. I must have picked up the wrong R32 lines. Mine don't have an inline clipping point as yours do in the picture. And, they appear too short as well. Do you recall exactly which pair you got and where by chance? Mine came from USP and have the conical seat but are certainly different.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Interesting, mine came from USP also. I wonder if they sent you rears by mistake. Screenshot of my order...

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
I see where I messed up. I ordered the Mk4 R32 conversion lines for non R32 models upgrading to the R32 brakes. Oh well, correct ones ordered. I'm still going through with the install to the point of needing the lines installed. Hopefully by Wednesday I'll have them.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Ahh, easy fix then. Let me know how the 18z fit. I still haven't found a real solution to my driver side caliper not being centered over the rotor. Currently the outboard brake pad has been shaved down by a couple mil to fit. This doesn't concern me because the pads are really thick and I drive less than 100 miles a week. That being said I intend to check the pads, that one in particular, once a month to make sure nothing sneaks up on me.

Rob at RotorLabs believes there is a difference in my car's hub/bearing assemblies or knuckles but I'm not buying that the tolerances on these are that loose. I suspect there's an issue with that caliper or (hopefully) rotor offset. I have a spare set of rotors on hand, ordered from rotorlab. At some point here soon I'm going to pull both calipers off and take a bunch of measurements.

I'll end my rant with a question. I still haven't installed the rear PP brakes on my car. I need brake lines that are 2-3" longer than stock PP lines. I know the caliper side uses a 12mm banjo bolt but I don't know the fitting for the car side. Does anyone know what type it is?

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
The 18z fit with just one washer between them and the mounting tab. That pulled the caliper inboard and centered as close as it's going to be unless I source some thinner spacers. This also gave me about 2.5mm extra clearance with my wheels which otherwise would have needed spacers. The rotors are within about 1-1.5mm of center and pads have plenty of room. They're both installed and ready to go, just need to install new lines when they come in and bleed the whole car as it was due anyway.
Here's a pic of the wheel clearance and some other shots. Hope to be running by Wednesday and I'll have a few more pulled back pics with a fresh wash :)

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
They look great... my clearance is similar although I needed spacers. My problem with the driver side caliper is that it's too far inboard already. My mounting tabs are "too thick" which can't be fixed with washers unfortunately.

Did you end up buying the brake booster to go with the master cylinder? I haven't yet but pedal feels fine. I should do it when I add the PP rear brakes though.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
If the pedal is fine I'll leave it alone. I already have the MC, but hoping I don't need it. Shame it needs a matching booster.

How far off is the caliper? Some material can be taken off the mounting tabs with a file just keep them exactly even.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I would need to measure. I'm certainly not confident in my ability to evenly take material off but I could likely find a shop that would do it. It is far enough off that the brake pad will not fit into that side, so a couple mm at least.

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta...TDI/5spd :) >>>now a '15 Passat TDI/DSG
How long have you been trying to get Rotorlabs kit to fit? I am interested in a front BBK but I'd prefer it to swap right on and be able to get replacement parts easily at any parts house.

With that being said, I'd like to know for certain which other VW products have adaptable rotors/calipers/caliper stands that would swap directly on?

Any VW/Audi/Porsche rotors/calipers direct fit? Multi pot Porsche calipers would be nice. I believe the 330mm GTI rotors fit (w/stands) and the calipers may be the same between TDI and GTI. Or any of the PP parts interchange?

I do like the larger rotor diameters but I like the increased sweep area on some Audis I've seen …A8L for example, and Porsche too.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I haven't really been trying anything. As I said I had to take a couple mil off of the driver side outboard brake pad. I've been running the brakes for months now. Adjat84th is about to start running his and said his fitment was just fine with the washer.

RotorLabs specifically doesn't offer these kits for the mk7, most of which have aluminum knuckles. It is advertised to fit the MK6. It just happens that the mk7 Golf TDI has the steel knuckles so I ordered the kit knowing I'd be the first to try it.

That being said, it's conceivable that most of the kits designed for the MK6 will bolt on to the mk7 Golf. That assumes steel knuckles. I don't know what the sport wagon has. I also don't know about rotor replacement. I have a second-set from rotorlab but I don't know what I would need to order if they were no longer available from him (if I wanted to go with something else like a two piece set up).

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
The rotorlab 18z kit bolts up without any modification. I did add one washer between the caliper and mounting tabs to bring the caliper as close to perfectly over center of the rotor. The extra washer also helped me gain a more comfortable wheel clearance so I didn't need spacers on my 18"x8" Enkei PF01 wheels.

I also want to note that there is a difference between the MK4 R32 brake lines sold by USP and ECS which I sadly encountered. The ECS lines are keyed on the end that goes into the bracket attached to the body of the car, this key is different than what the stock lines are for the MK7. The USP lines have a slightly smaller diameter fitting on that end to allow for fitment regardless of the keyed slot. I still managed to get the ECS lines in, I just had to very slightly enlarge that keyed slot with a 5/8" drill bit. The old line will still fit in fine if I ever went back to stock and it's totally unnoticeable.

To attempt to answer scrambld's question, the newer Audi and VW have different knuckles across models. The Golf TDIs (Passat may be different) have steel knuckles which have the same mounting tabs and offset to the rotor as previous generations. The GTI and R however have aluminium knuckles with a different offset. Those require some hefty modification, OR most people just swap over to the MK6 knuckle because it's still far cheaper than other BBKs out there when you add in the cost of some knuckles.

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
I thought Rotorlab machined the mounting pads to get the caliper to center on the rotor? At least that is what I interpret from the site for B6/B7 (steel knuckles) models.

I am considering just getting the 18Z calipers and get 345mm Passat 3.6/4Motion (OEM B6) rotors for my '15 Passat. I will then use the B6 3.2 4Motion Passat rear calipers (non-elec. park brake)/carriers, dust shields, and 310mm rotors for the rear (R32 rears the same). 2006 - 2007...then I think they came with electric park brake calipers <<< not 100% on when/if the change occurred on the 4Motion?

Do the OEM brake lines fit the Brembo calipers? I know you went aftermarket for braided, just wondered if the OEM ones fit.

After the front 18Z swap was there any notable front/rear balance issue without doing the rear yet (if vehicle was driven post front swap)?

PS. FYI, the front Passat 3.6 4Motion 345mm rotors/carriers/shields, and calipers bolt on the B7 as well.....the calipers aren't as sexy and are a floating caliper where the 18Z are sexy and fixed, brake pressure is applied to both sides of the rotor more evenly (6 piston vs. 1 piston).

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
They machine the mounting tabs that connect to the knuckle so that it sits centered. There are different offsets though across models, and that is where they machine a certain amount but use spacers to account for the models that need to be brought back in over center.

Not sure those rotors will work without knowing the offset. Rotorlab uses a certain rotor with specific offset to match the caliper centering.

OE brake lines DO NO fit..hence why you need to source MK4 R32 lines that are mentioned a few times in the thread. Unless your passat magically has conical shaped (not banjo) fittings going into the caliper.

I haven't noticed any issues with the stock rear pads and brake pedal feels fine. It's obviously a little further down in the travel that you start to get traction, but the force is strong!

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
They machine the mounting tabs that connect to the knuckle so that it sits centered. There are different offsets though across models, and that is where they machine a certain amount but use spacers to account for the models that need to be brought back in over center.

Not sure those rotors will work without knowing the offset. Rotorlab uses a certain rotor with specific offset to match the caliper centering.

OE brake lines DO NO fit..hence why you need to source MK4 R32 lines that are mentioned a few times in the thread. Unless your passat magically has conical shaped (not banjo) fittings going into the caliper.

Yes, I read where they machine the caliper. I'll assume to the app they are going onto.

They do sell just the modded calipers (~$600/pr) so a person can use the OEM 345mm rotor. Replacements made easier that way. I would be more interested in a "less" performance looking rotor to maintain my "sleeper" status...LOL The site makes no mention of having to change front caliper carriers, so w/out speaking to them I'll assume the Brembo caliper sits over the rotor more...as it appears in pics, other vehicles, and you would know as you installed a set.

As far as the lines, as I looked back just now I saw mention of the con vs banjo. I got confused as their site says "just hook up your brake lines and go.....of course I assumed stock brake lines....Good to know! Thanks for the updates!!

Update: Just spoke to Rob. Only has answers for the full kit they sell. Still a great deal, but I don't want to be stuck buying rotors from them in the future. Their future is an unknown to me and I would prefer off the shelf rotors. The modded caliper "Kit" they offer....long story short....they don't know what the hell it'll fit. I'll stick with the factory BBK using the below list of known parts.

B7 NMS brake spec/upgrades (courtesy VWvor)….

Reserved for information regarding OEM upgrades, meaning larger calipers, rotors, pads, lines, and stiffening kits from other OEM applications.

The most commonly used OEM upgrade is the MkV Golf R32/MkVI Golf R/B6 Passat 3.6 4motion brake setup. This is a direct replacement carrier and caliper that does not need an adapter. Other than the size, the advantage is adding a second piston to the front caliper
(my info tells me it is still single piston floating calipers). For the rear, a size increase also happens along with adding vented rotors.

MkV Golf R32 OEM Front
Rotor: 1K0-615-301-M (345mm x 30mm, vented), MSRP $106.00 each
Pads: 1K0-698-151-B, MSRP $112.00 set
Left Hard Line: 1K0-611-763-A, MSRP $28.52 each
Right Hard Line: 1K0-611-764-A, MSRP $28.52 each
Line Clip: 191-611-715, MSRP $2.28 each
Left Shield: 1K0-615-311-C, MSRP $27.46 each
Right Shield: 1K0-615-312-C, MSRP $27.46 each
Anti-Rattle Clip: 4F0-615-269, MSRP $33.28 each
Left Caliper: 1K0-615-123-H (silver), MSRP $307.28 each
Left Caliper: 1K0-615-123-J (blue), MSRP $314.15 each
Right Caliper: 1K0-615-124-H (silver), MSRP $307.28 each
Right Caliper: 1K0-615-124-J (blue), MSRP $314.15 each
Carrier: 1K0-615-125-B (silver), MSRP $214.23 each
Carrier: 1K0-615-125-F (blue), MSRP $204.97 each
Carrier Bolt: N90-948-802, MSRP $5.20 each
Caliper Guide Pin: 251-615-219, MSRP $23.08 each

MkV Golf R32 OEM Rear
Rotor: 1K0-615-601-N (310mm x 22mm), MSRP $81.00 each
Pads: 1K0-698-451-K, MSRP $73.08 set
Left Line: 1K0-611-763-E, MSRP $51.23 each
Right Line: 1K0-611-764-L, MSRP $51.23 each
Line Clip: 191-611-715, MSRP $2.28 each
Left Shield: 5N0-615-611-E, MSRP $68.63 each
Right Shield: 5N0-615-612-E, MSRP $68.63 each
Left Caliper: 1K0-615-423-G (blue), MSRP $239.98 each
Right Caliper: 1K0-615-424-G (blue), MSRP $239.98 each
Left Carrier: 1K0-615-425-T (blue), MSRP $98.88 each
Right Carrier: 1K0-615-426-H (blue), MSRP $98.88 each
Carrier Bolt: N91-168-901, MSRP $4.38 each

Last edited:

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
I'm progressing on upgrading to gti rotors and calipers 312/271. Front is simple, 312 drilled/slotted rotors, gti brackets,calipers, same pads. Rear is a bit more complicated due to beam axle placing caliper in a different position. The gti rear calipers bolt right on,except being at a different position, the parking brake cable needs to be rerouted and the calipers needs to be switched left/right for the cable to reach. The splash shields are a couple mm too small to accommodate the rotor so two alternatives, cut off the outside ring of the splash shield or heat and bend the lip a few mm so rotor will fit. Third, custom brake hoses 2" longer than stock with 10mm banjo fittings rather than the stock 12mm. I've almost completed one of the two cars. Impressions so far, with only rear completed, far better braking as not only are the rotors larger,but the gti rear pads have twice the surface friction area. Huge difference.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Who did you order custom brake lines from and what fitting did you select for the vehicle side? I know 10mm banjo on the calipers and about flipping them left to right and rerouting the e-brake line. When I had my brembos installed up front the plan was also to install PP rears, didn't happen because of the lines.

At least 6 months later I still need to have custom lines made. All of the custom vendors name their fittings differently [emoji51][emoji34]. I have some PP lines sitting on my desk to this day, a couple inches short just like you said.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
As for the dust shields (for the front at least), I have a pair of PP waiting at the dealer for me so I can test fit around the 18z calipers.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
techna-fit.com is great for custom lines. they are great. On rear, the backing plates/splash shields are too small by a few mm to accept the 271mm rotors so you can either cut off the outside edge as I did with mine or heat and bend the lip a little then the rotors go right on. The larger rotors have a larger offset which helps as well. Result, using akabono ceramic pads, gives tremendous increase in braking, twice the pad friction area combined with the larger rotors

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Parking brake works much better as well. You can choose stainless fittings for your lines for a couple bucks more a well as choosing color no extra charge. Female ends are round so you don't have to worry about the Vw screwy keyed ends, clips work same way. On the second car, I take pictures. Maybe someone can figure out a ebrake cable longer or shorter that would be more suitable. 2 brake lines=60 bucks drilled/slotted/zinc coated rotors 50 bucks from 1aauto.com okabono ceramic pads 56 bucks.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
techna-fit.com is great for custom lines...
I browsed through their website, looks like good stuff and well priced. I only see the option in their custom line builder for S1001-03J straight but I don't want to assume you ordered this one and then look with another set of brake line sitting on my desk haha.

Did you select this end for the vehicle side or did you have to call them to have something custom put together?

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The vehicle side is because the factory lines key into the bracket on vehicle side, theirs are simply round. I had them put round fittings on the banjo end to allow swiveling.