www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old September 18th, 2006, 23:50   #16
alphaseinor

Okay, I picked up a triple square m6, m8, m10, m12 set at Pep Boys for $15.

The passengers side triple square was almost totally stripped from the dealer installing used bolts on both sides (they charged me for the new bolts, still have the receipt on the shipping, and the bolts). The spindle was not tapped, or helicoiled like what was charged, just tap chased (didn't need anything. But that is off topic...

Sorry, no photos... no macro lens on my current digital camera.

I removed the axles, I used a M8 and a M12, unusual... It helps if you have someone counter-spin the wheels for you. used a little bit of pressure (okay, I used a breaker bar, only after the craftsman ratchet broke... LOL).
After the axles are loose, you just need to place them to the side, I used a couple of plastic bags tied onto the ends of the axles to keep the grease from getting tainted. Cleanliness is paramount here.

While you are under there, have someone move the camshaft clockwise (I used my mother-in-law and the metalnerd camshaft thingie). Then you get to look on the engine side of the transmission, above where the axle came out. slowly spin, holding a flashlight, look for a nut (there are three of them, mine were 15mm and 16mm... obviously a job from the dealer, LOL).

While you are under there, you need to remove the transmission bolts on the bottom of the transmssion, then the lower mount (pendulum mounts have a stabilization). Then the top starter bolts (don't forget to remove the electical leads!).

Unfortunately that's all I have for tonight... there should only be the top pendulum mount, and two transmission bolts on the engine left... so DON'T LOOSEN ANYTHING ELSE!!!

Tomorrow night kiddies, time for the modified engine jack, since mine needs to be bled for some reason... I'm thinking of a sissor jack, or just going out and buying a new jack from wally-world ($14.95).
alphaseinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 01:42   #17
Fortuna Wolf
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 36 mix

I think a scissor jack would be safest, and they tend to have semi secure "carriages"
Why is it necessary to lift the engine? I thought that you just needed a transmission jack.
2002 Jetta Sedan ALH-01M: 2 um Cat FF, Wingnut-3 CCV filter, polyurethane fuel lines, 5 brake light mod, Ventectomy, Polysiloxane vacuum tubing, Pioneer DEH-3800MP w/ KFC-1389ie, Panzer Plate, EGT+Boost+Oil Temp Gauges, Boost Valve, KERMA Line Pressure Mod, LED Lighting, HC-12a refrigerant, Optima 75/35 AGM, .187 nozzles, Hawk HPS pads.
Coming Soon: ESP retrofit, Custom Greasecar.

Wish List: Tow Bar, DSG or CVT transmission, or even a 5 speed manual. To hit 42+ mpg

Fortuna Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 05:57   #18
owr084
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaseinor
Other than that, this is the easiest transmission change I have done since my 130 mph Turbo Geo Metro.
I laugh at your turbo Geo. The blower is sooooo much better

owr084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 10:22   #19
alphaseinor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortuna Wolf
I think a scissor jack would be safest, and they tend to have semi secure "carriages"
Why is it necessary to lift the engine? I thought that you just needed a transmission jack.
You have to support the engine, there will only be one mount holding the engine in, and that is on the timing belt side.
Old September 19th, 2006, 10:27   #20
alphaseinor

Quote:
Originally Posted by owr084
I laugh at your turbo Geo. The blower is sooooo much better
I Laugh at both! It's amazing what people do with too much time on their hands... looks like this guy had a bit of money too... or serious kung-foo-chee-chuan-chow welding $ki11Z

I could take him in the twisties tho... probably on the top end eventually... Did I mention I have a ticket for wasting natural resources thanks to that car?
Old September 19th, 2006, 10:39   #21
gottdi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45mpg

I did an auto to manual swap on an 84 Dodge Colt. The simplest swap in the world. The tranny, shifter, pedal assembly and remove one wire that is no longer needed. It took all but 6 hours from start to finish. I removed it from a car from the wrecking yard for $75 for all the parts. I needed no new parts. When the job was done the car had more pep and went from 28 mpg to 32 mpg without a tune up. Nothing more than a tranny swap. With the tuneup I was in the 34 mpg range. It's nice that manufacturers make these to drop in either at the customers request and by design it actually costs the manufacturer no extra money. Just pick and drop it in. I think the Colt was much easier than this VW but it looks like a decent swap without too much trouble.
Old September 19th, 2006, 12:44   #22
Fortuna Wolf
Veteran Member

Well, alpha, you're taking pictures and are going to do a writeup for me so my swap goes more smoothly, right?
2002 Jetta Sedan ALH-01M: 2 um Cat FF, Wingnut-3 CCV filter, polyurethane fuel lines, 5 brake light mod, Ventectomy, Polysiloxane vacuum tubing, Pioneer DEH-3800MP w/ KFC-1389ie, Panzer Plate, EGT+Boost+Oil Temp Gauges, Boost Valve, KERMA Line Pressure Mod, LED Lighting, HC-12a refrigerant, Optima 75/35 AGM, .187 nozzles, Hawk HPS pads.

Wish List: Tow Bar, DSG or CVT transmission, or even a 5 speed manual. To hit 42+ mpg

Old September 19th, 2006, 13:02   #23
alphaseinor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottdi
I did an auto to manual swap on an 84 Dodge Colt. The simplest swap in the world. The tranny, shifter, pedal assembly and remove one wire that is no longer needed. It took all but 6 hours from start to finish. I removed it from a car from the wrecking yard for $75 for all the parts. I needed no new parts. When the job was done the car had more pep and went from 28 mpg to 32 mpg without a tune up. Nothing more than a tranny swap. With the tuneup I was in the 34 mpg range. It's nice that manufacturers make these to drop in either at the customers request and by design it actually costs the manufacturer no extra money. Just pick and drop it in. I think the Colt was much easier than this VW but it looks like a decent swap without too much trouble.
I hope you had the two speed transaxle 5 speed...
I miss my '84 Colt Turbo GTS....
Old September 19th, 2006, 19:43   #24
TooRoundTDI
Skunk Rocker

TDI(s): 1998 Jetta
Fuel Economy: TBD

I did an auto to manual swap on my 87 camaro, THAT was an easy swap. The only pain was making the template for the clutch pedal hole, luckily I had my dads camaro right there to do it. I like how your car had the hole pre-cut with the studs there and all, very nice. Cool write up, it will come in handy if I ever find a deal on a auto tdi. Theres NO WAY it would stay an auto. Im very interested in the ECU issues that you may or may not have. I hope its as easy as recoding to the manual code with VAG. Thats actaully how I switch back and forth from RC2 to RC3. Did you think of putting a 6 speed in at all and if so what was your decision not to?
Old September 19th, 2006, 19:48   #25
alphaseinor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortuna Wolf
Well, alpha, you're taking pictures and are going to do a writeup for me so my swap goes more smoothly, right?
That's the idea, hopefully it's verbose enough. I just need a nice macro lens...
Old September 19th, 2006, 19:54   #26
alphaseinor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooRoundTDI
Did you think of putting a 6 speed in at all and if so what was your decision not to?
I am just putting in a 5 speed, because the 6 speed with a low enough gear ratio is quite hard to find here in the states.
Old September 21st, 2006, 21:32   #27
alphaseinor

Finally got my Sachs clutch, and Corrado Flywheel from MJM, I opted for the lightened flywheel, unlike what I said earlier. I'll let you guys know how it works.

Here's the flywheel.

The Sachs clutch number is 3000 384 001, it came with a pressure plate, clutch, and throwout bearing.
The MJM came with new bolts for the flywheel, and pressure plate.

Special thanks to DHL for shipping it and it actually arriving for once. even if it were a day late, and they didn't knock...
Old September 21st, 2006, 22:03   #28
Fortuna Wolf
Veteran Member

So we should see completion soon?

Old September 21st, 2006, 22:27   #29
alphaseinor

Probably Saturday/sunday... then I can screw with the wiring a bit...
Old September 21st, 2006, 22:34   #30
Fortuna Wolf
Veteran Member

This is gonna be great
uh, I hope that thou knowest how to drive manual