www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Touareg TDIs

VW Touareg TDIs This is a general discussion about Touareg TDIs. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old April 9th, 2019, 10:19   #1
hwork1
Default Coolant leak

I have a 2013 Touareg TDI that I continue to have issues with a coolant leak in the internal V of the engine. The dealership claimed that it was an oil coooler. Over the weekend I changed it and had one day of no leaks. After that same leak, same amount. Itís acting like itís a pop off as it will not use any more fluid after it ďbleeds offĒ. Only happens after you let it sit. Question is, is there anyway that deleting the EGR and removing that much total coolant volume I have inadvertently affected the Max full level? The interesting thing is the car only leaks once itís not running. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am pulling my hair out as I love this car.

Notes:
Issues did not start till after delete
If you just let the coolant light come on it does not seem to leak anymore
All coolant stays in the V of the engine
Very small amount of coolant actually leaking (cup over a month)
hwork1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2019, 16:55   #2
goodmonkey
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwork1 View Post
... I am pulling my hair out as I love this car.

Sounds like any VW to me. Did you figure anything out?
Previous TDI's: 1996 Passat TDI- totaled at 394k miles, 1998 Passat TDI - 175k miles, 2012 Passat TDI SE - 41k, 1996 Passat TDI Variant - 327k, 2014 Jetta SportWagon TDI 6MT - 29k, 2015 Passat TDI SEL - 18k, 2006 Jetta TDI 5MT - 261k
goodmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2019, 19:35   #3
hwork1

Only thing I have discovered is it only leaks when you kill it. If you just run it low it stops, it’s like the pressure is too high if you fill it, my thought is it’s due to deleting the egr and messing with the total volume in the system.
Old May 25th, 2019, 19:36   #4
hwork1

I took to dealership and they said it was oil cooler and water pump. I changed both myself and still have the leak. Just running it low with the light on these days. IDK
Old December 3rd, 2019, 12:14   #5
bizzle
Veteran Member

Did you ever get this resolved? I'm having the same leak and the dealership is telling me it's the oil cooler, as well. I'm still under the original 100K powertrain warranty and within the extended emissions warranty but they're saying that my vehicle does not have a 100K powertrain warranty and that this isn't covered under the extended warranty.

Any advice?
bizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2019, 14:15   #6
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Depending on build date, engine code, etc. I think there is an updated oil filter/thermostat housing and oil cooler housing assembly.

Suffix K to P.
Old December 3rd, 2019, 16:00   #7
bizzle
Veteran Member

Dealer called me back and was able to confirm it is currently under warranty and the repair is covered by that powertrain warranty.

Last edited by bizzle; December 3rd, 2019 at 16:36.
Old December 15th, 2019, 19:26   #8
bizzle
Veteran Member

This is turning into a nightmare. The dealership simply replaced the o-rings, didn't do any of the checking I explained to them or even bothered reading the thread I sent to the Service Manager. In fact, they replace the oil cooler but didn't change or even fill the oil and now my oil is low.

Next closest dealer is over 100 miles away. I'm taking it in tomorrow and calling the Regional Manager back and just laying it all out there. I already explained the entire situation to him and he kept saying all the "opportunities" (for training) but when I called back for an appointment and they wouldn't even pick up the phone I said listen you call them I can't deal with this anymore and he called me back at the end of the day and said ok I can't get through to them either. Big run-on sentence because I'm steamed right now, but the gist is the Regional Manager can see the blatant incompetence now right in front of him but can't say anything to me about that. I'm hoping he'll approve a rental for us to drive it a couple hours away and drop it off somewhere that will do the work correctly. This happening at the same time the total loss is really frustrating.

I can't believe these guys drained my oil and didn't fill it. They can see it doesn't have a dipstick but probably didn't realize I can see what they did from the screen inside :O
Old January 6th, 2020, 20:47   #9
bizzle
Veteran Member

It started leaking again and now they are claiming it's due to this cover https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...er/059103525f/ and that it's not covered under warranty.

I don't see how that cover would be the *cause* of the leak and, even if it was, it seems to me it'd be connected to the earlier oil cooler leak they worked on.

VWoA is claiming they have to stand behind the dealership's diagnosis.
Old January 6th, 2020, 21:05   #10
Savageman69
Veteran Member

word of advice if anyone has a egr cooler leak beware...the 2009-2012 engine had 2 egr coolers...my one cracked and hydro locked the engine..broke 1 rod and bent 1 rod
2012 Touareg v6 TDI - 8spd - Silver - Weathertechs - Buzzken Downpipe/Dpf/Scr Pipes - Hybrid 2260 - 4 Bar Map - JR Auto Performance/Buzzken Stage 3 Tune - 30.5 BFG k02s - 2.5inch Lift - Cayenne Trans Coding - Gutted/Painted Muffler - Full Led Swap - EGR Cooler Delete
2006 Jetta TDI 5pd
Savageman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2020, 04:40   #11
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Boy that looks like it'd be fun to change. I think that is bolted behind the front sealing flange assembly, which is then in turn bolted to the front of the engine block, so that part is sandwiched between the two.

Going to be like the V8's oil cooler. Step 1: remove engine.

Last edited by oilhammer; January 7th, 2020 at 04:42.
oilhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2020, 20:03   #12
bizzle
Veteran Member

wow, well then I guess I better cough up the $600 they're quoting me :O

Put in that light, it doesn't seem unreasonable.