How to make a pop-off engine cover for AHU/1Z....FINALLY!

Houpty GT

Veteran Member
TDI
Corrado TDI, 2000 Golf, 1996 B4 Variant
I have been trying to post this for months but the TDI photos links were not working.

I found a way to make a pop-off engine cover for the 1Z/AHU. Using smaller balls and sockets from some Audi or VW and installing standoffs for electrical panels to raise them to the correct height. I bought aluminum standoffs from McMaster Carr or you can get plastic from Mouser Electronics. Then you only need to glue the sockets inside of the recess of the engine cover. I used silicone.

I don't remember the car the ball and socket came from so we need to figure that out as a team :)
UPDATE: The balls and sockets can be found on 2006 Audi A4 with 2.0 FSI

Last edited:

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Where’s the finished product.....?

I never ran these covers, because they limited visual inspection anytime the hood was open. I also never run the upper timing belt cover, for the same reason.

Was that ball stud from a hatch/hood shock? I have plastic speaker grill ball and sockets... wonder if they’d work.

Unsure if I’d take the time to do this, but kudos to you.

-Todd

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
been done before. glad to see that the early 2000's mods are still alive. thanks for the pictures, all the threads i have seen about this decades ago also have either no pictures or are not around to view.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
I’d imagine for noise suppression. The engine cover originally had open cell foam attached, underneath. It usually fell off, as an oil soaked mess.

-Todd

Houpty GT

Veteran Member
TDI
The finished product looks like a perfect TDI engine cover. Nothing special to show. I put the little plastic covers on also. Part number 028 103 937 You will want black silicone for the best look if you don't use the covers.

The ball and socket are from some later model with a smaller engine cover. I had been collecting the available varieties for a few years to find the right set to modify. I hope someone can help identify its source so it is an easy upgrade for everyone interested.

The timing belt cover is intended to keep trash out so you don't go pop. It helps with sound and keeping digits at 10 also.

It could not have been made like this before before since it uses parts off late model cars that did not exist. I have searched and never found anything for the MK3 and the B4. You make it sound like there is nothing useful out there either. People do this on the MK4 but it does not work well on the AHU because there is no room to leave flexible webbing of the sockets in place.

Dynamat Hoodliner is great to replace the old noise/thermal insulation.

Ouch! RabbitGTI, you threw your engine cover in the trash and now it is worth $60 on ebay. Sort of like another story:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I still have mine. In a box, next to all the other crap I pulled off it years ago. Anyone want it?

TDI
B4 1z sedan, B4 1z estate, 1z converted Corrado
Love the simplicity of this idea, anyone any clues what cars to find the bits needed?

Houpty GT

Veteran Member
TDI
I was in the junkyard today. The parts come off of an Audi 2.0 FSI. I saw them on the 2005, 2006, and 2007 A4's. Each Audi has 3 sockets and 2 balls since one ball cannot be used because of the screw type.