www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old January 10th, 2019, 14:57   #1
Zoso

Default I forgot about the 12/31/18 deadline...

No excuse... just stupidity. I know I can still get stage 2 done on my 2015. Has anyone had any luck getting their remaining 1/3 settlement if they missed the deadline?
Old January 10th, 2019, 16:34   #2
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

I don't think that deadline applies if you've already filed for, and received, the stage 1 fix and payment for same. VW was supposed to tell you when stage 2 was due, and this wasn't necessarily going to be by the end of 2018.

If you bought a car with stage 1 already applied, and thus you didn't submit a claim, I think you are out of luck.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2019, 17:39   #3
jonferns
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '15 Golf
Default I forgot about the 12/31/18 deadline...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
I don't think that deadline applies if you've already filed for, and received, the stage 1 fix and payment for same. VW was supposed to tell you when stage 2 was due, and this wasn't necessarily going to be by the end of 2018.

If you bought a car with stage 1 already applied, and thus you didn't submit a claim, I think you are out of luck.

If you bought a car with phase 1 already applied, you weren't going to get any payment anyway. You can still get phase 2 done after the 12/31 date. I dropped mine off yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'06 Jetta TDI - 230k, DSG
jonferns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2019, 05:56   #4
Zoso

I am the original owner of the car and had stage 1 done. Here is the email they sent me:

Quote:
Based on the documents and information you have provided as part of your claim with Reference No. xxxxxxxxxx, you are not eligible to receive the final 1/3 restitution payment under the 2.0-Liter Settlement Claims Program because you did not have Phase 2 of the Approved Emissions Modification performed on your vehicle by the December 30, 2018 deadline.

You may still have the second phase of the AEM performed on your vehicle free of charge, but you will not receive any additional compensation under the Settlement Program.

If you believe you are entitled to claim benefits under the TDI Settlement Claims Program, you may appeal this ineligibility determination to the Court-appointed Claims Review Committee. The Claims Review Committee is composed of one representative from Volkswagen, one representative from Settlement Class Counsel and a Court-appointed “Neutral” who will be called upon to resolve disagreements between the Claims Committee’s other members, should they arise. To submit an appeal to the Claims Review Committee, you must send a written request to appeal to the Claims Review Committee, P.O. Box 214500, Auburn Hills, MI 48321 or crc@vwcourtsettlement.com.
Old January 11th, 2019, 12:56   #5
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Well there is your answer. They aren't in the forgiveness business and are pretty firm on the deadlines that have been set. Get phase 2 done and move on.
Old January 14th, 2019, 05:40   #6
740GLE
Veteran Member

bummer, at least you'll still have the extended warranty. Also, don't feel bad you're prob not the only one to miss out on a few extra bucks from VW.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2019, 16:19   #7
chief poncho
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
Well there is your answer. They aren't in the forgiveness business and are pretty firm on the deadlines that have been set. Get phase 2 done and move on.

Ironic how they are firm on their deadlines for owners, but never met any of the court directed deadlines for claims processing.
chief poncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2019, 17:37   #8
Zoso

It is a bummer but I have no one to blame but myself. I was putting it off so the replacement parts would last longer and just forgot about the deadline. It would have been nice if they sent a reminder email but giving away extra money isn't in their best interest.

My plan was to wait to get it done when the car is close to 100,000 miles. The extended warranty is ending then too and I wanted to get the fan blower replaced. It chirps/squeaks under initial acceleration from a stop. The car is at 97k.
Old January 16th, 2019, 04:59   #9
Yukon4Runner
Veteran Member

Your phone has a calendar. Simply set an appointment.
Yukon4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2019, 12:43   #10
MGCJM

TDI(s): 2015 Passat

Zoso, I am in your same situation. I was waiting for my 60K tune up (with oil change) and thats when i was going in for my second and final modification. I do NOT recall ever hearing about any 31 dec deadline -until 10 Jan 2019. Now I have submitted an appeal per their instructions. It is unacceptable to me that they know who I am enough to inform me via US postal service that i missed their deadline - but the dealer who i have seen twice in the past 6 months failed to alert me. My original agreement to get both mods done and receive both payments were on a signed contract with power of attorney notorization. Needless to say I am NOT pleased - because $2,500 is not small change.to me.
MGCJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2019, 13:18   #11
flargabarg
Veteran Member

There were several letters sent out as well.

https://www.cand.uscourts.gov/fileli....0L-Notice.pdf

https://www.cand.uscourts.gov/fileli...e-7-13-201.pdf
flargabarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2019, 13:34   #12
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Probably unacceptable to them that so many just ignored the repeated notices sent out informing people of what they needed to do to comply. Waiting for your 60k service was a costly mistake on your part. These kinds of things should be done as soon as possible and gotten out of the way, not left to the last minute where you "forget" and cry afterwards. I can almost guarantee your appeal will be denied.
Old January 22nd, 2019, 18:19   #13
JohnBlutarsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by flargabarg View Post
Well, that's the first I'm seeing of those letters! The only communication I ever received prior to the deadline (one letter, one email) had no mention whatsoever of a final date. After getting the "psych, no more money for you" email, I combed through both of the previous letters looking for a date. Nothing there. So I filed an appeal as well, but I'm not hopeful. And I agree, if I had gotten two reminder letters and still hadn't done it, that's on me, but I really had no way of knowing there was a deadline for completing Phase Two. I wonder if those reminders only went out to people who hadn't done Phase One yet. I did it pretty early, so maybe that took me off their reminder list.

Last edited by JohnBlutarsky; January 22nd, 2019 at 18:56.
JohnBlutarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2019, 18:26   #14
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

I'd say the appeal has a 50/50 chance of success. VW isn't being complete d-bags around settlement claims from what I've seen. Good luck!
turbobrick240 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2019, 18:54   #15
JohnBlutarsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
I'd say the appeal has a 50/50 chance of success. VW isn't being complete d-bags around settlement claims from what I've seen. Good luck!
Ha ha, thanks for the positive attitude!

JohnBlutarsky is offline   Reply With Quote