Lift for TDI Sportwagen (for oversize tires)

TDI
JettaSportWagen 2010
Hello,
First forgive me for wanting to do this :)D Lift SUVs and Lower Cars I know but for some strange reason I want to go counter tradition!) actually ended up with larger than std tires on some non vw rims, which rub when going over large bumps. Therefore I would like to raise the vehicle by about 2 inches if possible.
Any ideas and or off the shelf solution (easy) would be best!
Thought about adding air bags to the rear suspension: I am lead to believe the process is straight forward.
Mainly the front and at times the rear rubs while at highway speeds and going over those overpass joint bumps in some rough places.
Must say the ride did improve and the car looks like a beast. Will figure out the process to load pics.
Thanks in advance for constructive suggestions.

@@@@ Tires: Continental Extreme Contact 225 ZR 55/16 ON RIMS from Discount Tire has squiggled MB on it @@@@
The ride is improved and so has the road noise (quieter now).
Handles more like a beefier sedan less road jiggle as well.

Last edited:

JungleDeath

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf_11 JSW
You have to measure the front strut piston shaft diameter. If it is the same size as the 99.5-2005 G/J/NB then you can buy off the shelf lifts for your car:

Metal Nerd
Evolution
Kerma

Check to see if this body year has 'Rough Road Package' offered in other countries. The springs will have a firmer spring rate and may also be taller and give some lift. If yes, get the part numbers and go to your dealer/parts supplier and bust out your credit card.

I doubt the struts/shocks are the same size though. I'm guessing that the springs alone are different sizes.

Keep us informed.

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sportwagen Turned in , 2000 Z3 Coupe, 2003 Ford Expedition
You said 2" lift. That would allow room for a 4" bigger tire.(2" on either side of center). Do you need that much? Maybe you could extend your bumpstops a little to prevent rubbing. What size are you running?

Donald

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
I had a 2" lift kit on my 2000 Golfzilla.

But I had heard that it wasn't possible (or maybe just wasn't wise) to do on the newer cars because of the ESP stability control -- it senses your suspension's position, which would be out of whack if you lifted the car.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
either way i want to see pics of the current tires and set up. What size tires are they? 225/65/16?

JettaTDiPA

Veteran Member
TDI
Owned 2011 JSW DSG for 16mo.
I have wanted to lift mine since the day I purchased it. I had chased the idea awhile back, but the manufacturer of the lift kits had not built one for '11 JSW.
I want it for a little more ground clearance (mostly) and not having to crawl in and out of it
I am interested in what you find out and decide to do-

TDI
JettaSportWagen 2010
Hi All,

Its a 10 sportwagen tdi.
225 55 zr16 tires and mb wheels from discount tire. The tires seem to be maxed out sideways placement and travel seems just a hair too large as it rubs when going over
highway undulations at 75 plus mph fully loaded and over large bumps at some RR crossings.

If I could lift it by 2 inches it would look mean and also make it ergonomic as stated above by JettaPA, used to slide into first year CRXs easy but now....

Kite_rider

TDI
2010 JSW
I'm looking for a lift too. Probably not 2" though. I had put in the Firestone Ride Rite bags, they didn't lift it at all, but they did help the sagging rear end - till one stoped functioning.

I just lifted my Eurovan and it was easier than I expected. Put a nylon pad between my rear coil spring and the upper frame. The front was easy since it had torsion bars. Not the same for the Sportwagen. Anyway, please do update us on your progress.

dslman

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2000 GOLF, 2013 Touareg, 2015 Q5
Any Luck on a Lift kit?

I'm wanting a LIFT too, (2012 Golf) The car is too low. I would GLADLY have paid for a tiguan instead of a Golf, but ALAS, NO DIESEL!

I almost bought a Touareg, but after test driving one, it felt & looked EXACTLY like the Golf, (only bigger & heavier) It rode better too, but for $60 grand I can buy 2 Golfs, just not worth it.

I don't know what is the deal with all these lowered cars, I think lowered looks like crap, and worse I see people lowering their Tiguans? What's with that? It's suppose to be a truck, not a slot car.

Anyways, any luck on a solution?

I wish my suspension was softer riding too, my 2000 Golf rides 1000 times better than the 2012.

Too low and too stiff.

I want my 2012 TDI to ride like my 2000 TDI & at least 1" higher.

GraniteRooster

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW 6MT
It seems to me that a logical way to do a JSW or Golf lift would be to use OEM springs from a foreign market with higher cars. For example, I believe in Canada and Brazil Golfs have a higher ride height and smaller wheels to deal with worse roads. (Examples: Golf Brazil, Jetta Variant Brazil)

I wonder if JSW's or Jetta's are available with higher ride height as well? It seems like somewhere there ought to be OEM VW springs with correct height and spring rate for the JSW. Perhaps a member here who is a suspension and VW parts number wizard can supply P/N's :D

Combine with slightly larger tires & OEM suspension limiters to make JSW Alltrack!!

Last edited:

dslman

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan Springs

I know there are Tiguan owners who swapped in Jetta HR Springs to lower their Tiguans.

I was thinking OK, that will work the other way too, I could put Tiguan springs on my Golf, however after looking closer, I think it would lift it TOO much, if it even worked at all.

The weight is not really a big deal as a 4 Door GOLF TDI only weighs about 379 lbs less than a 2WD Tiguan with a Petrol Motor.

I like what this guy did:

... But I don't want to go to this extent, although I REALLY Love this! Especially on the rough roads I drive, this would be awesome. Any lowered car would be demolished trying to drive on these roads.

Maybe I should just build a buggy & put a TDI engine in it.

GraniteRooster

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW 6MT
For the previous generation Jetta Wagon VW made Towing Package Springs that raised ride height about 3/4". There is a thread on fitment here, and IDParts sells them here. I wonder if a similar item is available for the new JSW aka Golf Estate, Variant, etc?

dslman

Veteran Member
TDI
Lifted Mk6

Can anyone here tell me the best or easiest way I can determine what my 2012 Golf TDI stock OEM Spring Part numbers are?

I'm going to have Coil Spring Specialties make me custom coil springs with 1.5" to 2" of lift and 20% softer ride quality.

I’ll find a way to disable or trick ESC if it interferes, there has to be a way.

I sold the stock 225/45/17 wheels & tires, replaced with 195/65/15 Michelin Primacy MXV4 but to my surprise, it didn’t help ride quality much. Steering became
a whole lot easier, & MPG went up, and... although ride quality may be slightly better, it's still way way too stiff, and I don’t like the stock lowered looking sport suspension & I just can't stand it. Way too low too, it scrapes on even slightly uneven roads or driveways.

I always wanted to lift My stock 2000 Golf TDI which completely stock is already higher than the 2012, & it Rides like a Buick in comparison, which I always loved.

wfg97079

Veteran Member
TDI
for the first time in 17 years, none
nice

I think the 2" lift made for a great snowrunner up here in the northeast too.
I know there are Tiguan owners who swapped in Jetta HR Springs to lower their Tiguans.

I was thinking OK, that will work the other way too, I could put Tiguan springs on my Golf, however after looking closer, I think it would lift it TOO much, if it even worked at all.

The weight is not really a big deal as a 4 Door GOLF TDI only weighs about 379 lbs less than a 2WD Tiguan with a Petrol Motor.

I like what this guy did:

... But I don't want to go to this extent, although I REALLY Love this! Especially on the rough roads I drive, this would be awesome. Any lowered car would be demolished trying to drive on these roads.

Maybe I should just build a buggy & put a TDI engine in it.

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
You may want to consider doing a good set of coilovers. I'm not talking about drop coilovers but a proper rally car suspension.

Last edited:

Jon_Mutiger

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6sp
Any word on how this is progressing? I like the idea of a taller car as well for the backroads I drive it would be quite handy.

Jon

Jon_Mutiger

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6sp
I was just wondering what is actually needed to convert a golf to a tiguan height wise..

I would imagine:

Front:

New lower control arms, longer struts, longer Front axles, perhaps a different brake/hub assembly

Rear:
Longer lower control arm, longer link arms, different upright/hub/brake

Anyone got a real list of stuff required to do this? I would actually seriously consider doing this to my golf, but I would make it look more car and less SUV.

Jon

I think the 2" lift made for a great snowrunner up here in the northeast too.

emus528

Veteran Member
TDI
See sig
I'm looking to raise my 2013 4dr Golf as well. There are quite few different TIG springs listed in ETKA. It would be nice if that is all it requires but we would still need to sort the different springs' rates I suppose.

Jon_Mutiger

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6sp
Now that I've been towing with my golf a bit, the Curt hitch simply is too low. I need to get the rear of the car, and soon. Can someone chime in on what springs will fit this car, and raise it up? I think the tiguan springs will work, but the angles of the suspension will probably get messed up. I plan on putting Bilstein HD's in, and some heavier springs. The shorter dampers will limit travel, and the heavier springs will probably top out the dampers almost all of the time. It might be a bad combo for handling.