vcds mods

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
I've got a newbie question. I'm curious if there is a way to get the vagcom cable (or VCDS as they call it now) outside of Ross-Tech, since I really dont have the money for the cable. I've got a 2011 Golf TDI, and was wondering if any of the ebay cables would work well? Also, has anyone bought and used the ebay vagcom cables successfully?
I've read that Alpha-bid is a legit seller on eBay for these cables, but am confused on which one to get that's compatible for my Golf.

Many future thanks for helping me out, since I'm new to all of this. Appreciate all the help =]
Ebay cables are hit & miss, but mostly miss. Plus, you don't get any technical support.

You might find someone selling a used cable in the classifieds here or on VWVortex.

The authentic cables, while pricey, are well worth the price. Use your income tax refund if possible.

If you're in a pinch and need help, or just want to check some things out, post in the forum appropriate to your location. Someone may offer to meet up with you and let you use theirs.

BenVC

TDI
2011 JSW TDI DSG Toffee Brown
Noob post: Is there any way to turn the screen of the computer completely off, and still have the radio on? Like, I want to stream music via bluetooth, but have the screen off. I like a dark cabin at night. I can't find any setting for this, and no mention of it in the FAQs I've read.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
You can turn the light down hit the setup button on the radio then press display

golfTDI1

TDI
2010 VW Golf TDI 6M 4dr
you can dim the display on the head unit like mentioned above, and you can dim the dash (which also dims the screen) with the wheel next to the headlight switch, but thats about it

I

ihatespeed

found an adaptation for hill start assist under the abs module, it lists light normal and heavy with heavy talking higher rpm more clutch slip vs light lower rpm less clutch slip.. I can't really tell if it made a difference on my 11 jsw manual, anybody know if this is a dsg item and not for the manual? I'd really like to minimize/ remove the hill hold effect..

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
found an adaptation for hill start assist under the abs module, it lists light normal and heavy with heavy talking higher rpm more clutch slip vs light lower rpm less clutch slip.. I can't really tell if it made a difference on my 11 jsw manual, anybody know if this is a dsg item and not for the manual? I'd really like to minimize/ remove the hill hold effect..
Do the manual transmission cars have the hill start assist?? I know the '09-up DSG TDIs do. It's kind of annoying in the DSG cars, but I would think it'd be a welcome feature in the 6MT cars. My BMW has it and it's a nice feature to have.

I

ihatespeed

I know for a fact the '11 jsw has it, it is not the idea but rather the execution that makes it sketchy, the issue I have with it is that it holds for nearly 2 seconds, which is an eternity when you are attempting to perform a perfectly executed entrance into heavy traffic from a steep side road.

If the hill hold lasted for about half a second it would be ideal, buying you just enough time to transition to the gas and pull away, instead I find myself waiting for a second before attempting to go, otherwise I just sit there burning the clutch waiting for the damn hill hold to turn off. this is compounded if you learned the heel toe gas brake maneuver on a non hill hold car.

The best solution I have come up with is to brake extremely lightly, the car is almost inching backwards, then I can pull away burning minimal clutch and brake.. I'd really like it if I could speed up the disengagement though. my reflexes are good enough that I don't need 2 seconds to do anything.

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
I know for a fact the '11 jsw has it, it is not the idea but rather the execution that makes it sketchy, the issue I have with it is that it holds for nearly 2 seconds, which is an eternity when you are attempting to perform a perfectly executed entrance into heavy traffic from a steep side road.

If the hill hold lasted for about half a second it would be ideal, buying you just enough time to transition to the gas and pull away, instead I find myself waiting for a second before attempting to go, otherwise I just sit there burning the clutch waiting for the damn hill hold to turn off. this is compounded if you learned the heel toe gas brake maneuver on a non hill hold car.

The best solution I have come up with is to brake extremely lightly, the car is almost inching backwards, then I can pull away burning minimal clutch and brake.. I'd really like it if I could speed up the disengagement though. my reflexes are good enough that I don't need 2 seconds to do anything.
Gotcha! Funny how so many things in life come down the execution!! I was under the impression that the release of the hill-hold is controlled by the clutch and/or accelerator pedal like it is in my car. I too would find it annoying if the car sat there with the brakes applied for about two seconds. One workaround might be to use the parking brake on inclines. You can take your foot off the brake pedal and use the parking brake to keep the car from rolling backwards. Then you just take off as normal, releasing the parking brake as you're engaging the clutch. Many people already use the parking brake on steep inclines to keep the car from rolling backwards as you transition from the brake pedal to the clutch pedal.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
i think once you disable the seat belt chime, it changes the chime once you start the car. thats what i noticed in mine
I just had an option to disable mine, and the startup sound is the same. I liked the higher pitched tone in your video, but the option of no tones when the door is ajar is nice as well. Suggestions?

lou95gts

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
I used VCDS to change my speedometer region from USA to Canada. (US car) I noticed afterwards that my speedometer and odometer were reading fast by about 5%. Confirmed this with 2 GPS units.
Changed it back to USA region and all is back to normal. Strange because the bit rate for both calibrations is "7". Don't know what difference is in calibration.
Anyways, maybe of interest for someone that has installed larger diameter tires than stock to compensate for the speedometer error.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
I used VCDS to change my speedometer region from USA to Canada. (US car) I noticed afterwards that my speedometer and odometer were reading fast by about 5%. Confirmed this with 2 GPS units.
Changed it back to USA region and all is back to normal. Strange because the bit rate for both calibrations is "7". Don't know what difference is in calibration.
Anyways, maybe of interest for someone that has installed larger diameter tires than stock to compensate for the speedometer error.
After you changed the setting with VCDS, did you go into the MFD and look at the status of the "Winter Tires" setting? That can adjust the speedometer by +/- 5%.

When you say "bit rate" for calibration, are you talking about the soft coding string?

lou95gts

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
After you changed the setting with VCDS, did you go into the MFD and look at the status of the "Winter Tires" setting? That can adjust the speedometer by +/- 5%.

When you say "bit rate" for calibration, are you talking about the soft coding string?
On either calibration I had the "snow tire" setting off. The bit rate or sample rate was set to "7" on either cal. Try it yourself. it does not change any other settings and its easy enough to change back.

bruce846

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDI's
VCDS Bluetooth base volume setting 9W7, Jan 17, 2011
In # 77 Telephone click on Adaption scroll down to Base volume of speech output and click on it.
The existing db value was some weird numbers and letters (4.76837e-007)
In the box below this value with the db, I changed the value to 4.0, clicked do it and answered yes to the input for wsc, then click do it again. The new value defaulted to 3.9 db, didn’t argue with electronic gods and now I have a base volume for my 9w7 Bluetooth which doesn’t blow me out of the car when I am listening to the radio at a normal volume level.
Also turned on Bluetooth acknowledge signal which chimes when my phone connects/disconnects.

Last edited:

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
i think once you disable the seat belt chime, it changes the chime once you start the car. thats what i noticed in mine
I disabled mine, but the start up chime is the same. I liked the way yours sounds better, and would love to learn how to change it.

dpg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI, 2010 JSW - retired
I disabled mine, but the start up chime is the same. I liked the way yours sounds better, and would love to learn how to change it.

i would have to check it out and see how mine is set up. i don't remember it off hand

dpg

Veteran Member
TDI
im going to need some help here i believe. All i did tonight was change the bluetooth mic from 0db to +6db and changed my turn signals from 4 to 5. i started the car and was on my way drove for 20min. turn off the car for 5min while i ran into the store. start back up and drive for 5 more min and stop by a friends house for about 3 hrs. come back to car start it up and now ive got a check engine light for the ride home. Here are the codes I just pulled up. any idea what might have caused this

01-Engine -- Status: Malfunction 0010
03-ABS Brakes -- Status: OK 0000
04-Steering Angle -- Status: OK 0000
08-Auto HVAC -- Status: Malfunction 0010
09-Cent. Elect. -- Status: OK 0000
15-Airbags -- Status: OK 0000
16-Steering wheel -- Status: OK 0000
17-Instruments -- Status: OK 0000
19-CAN Gateway -- Status: OK 0000
1C-Position Sensing -- Status: OK 0000
25-Immobilizer -- Status: OK 0000
42-Door Elect, Driver -- Status: OK 0000
44-Steering Assist -- Status: OK 0000
46-Central Conv. -- Status: OK 0000
4F-Centr. Electr. II -- Status: OK 0000
52-Door Elect, Pass. -- Status: OK 0000
56-Radio -- Status: Malfunction 0010
62-Door, Rear Left -- Status: OK 0000
65-Tire Pressure -- Status: OK 0000
72-Door, Rear Right -- Status: OK 0000
77-Telephone -- Status: OK 0000

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine (CJA) Labels: 03L-906-022-CBE.clb
Part No SW: 03L 906 019 CL HW: 03L 906 022 TS
Component: R4 2,0L EDC G000SG 7274
Revision: 12H02--- Serial number:
Coding: 0050072
Shop #: WSC 02172 444 90293
VCID: 77F6E28A7F4B

1 Fault Found:
000310 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S2: Malfunction in Circuit
P0136 - 000 - - - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11100000
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 22496 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2012.14.19
Time: 22:43:57

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 1311 /min
Speed: 65.0 km/h
Lambda: 33.9 %
Mass Air / Rev.: 410.0 mg/str
Voltage: 0.000 V
(no units): -1.27
Voltage: 0.975 V

Readiness: 1 1 0 0 0

Address 03: ABS Brakes (J104) Labels: 1K0-907-379-60EC1F.clb
Part No SW: 1K0 907 379 AH HW: 1K0 907 379 AH
Component: ESP MK60EC1 H30 0107
Revision: 00H30001
Coding: 114B600C492600FD881306E492220042300000
Shop #: WSC 00066 000 00000
VCID: 78F4E1B67255

No fault code found.

Address 08: Auto HVAC (J301) Labels: 3C8-907-336.clb
Part No SW: 3C8 907 336 AJ HW: 3C8 907 336 AJ
Component: Climatic H14 0305
Revision: 00009001
Coding: 0000001002
Shop #: WSC 00066 000 00187
ASAM Dataset: EV_Climatic A01005
ROD: EV_Climatic_VW36.rod
VCID: 75EAE8826547

1 Fault Found:
9479697 - Control Circuit for Front Left Seat Heater
B10A6 11 [008] - Short to Ground
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 3
Fault Frequency: 2
Reset counter: 198
Mileage: 21880 km
Date: 2012.14.05
Time: 16:04:10

Address 56: Radio (J503) Labels: 5M0-035-1xx-56.clb
Part No SW: 1K0 035 180 AC HW: 1K0 035 180 AC
Component: Radio Prem-8 H10 0035
Revision: -----20S Serial number: VWZ4Z7J3047455
Coding: 0500040004
Shop #: WSC 00066 000 00000
VCID: 61C2ACD2C1CF

1 Fault Found:
02635 - Tuner Not Enabled/Activated
000 - -
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100000
Fault Priority: 3
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 138
Mileage: 16144 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2008.14.28
Time: 12:40:16

Again, all i did was modify the mic and turn signal and the car didnt have a CEL until i started it the last time to head home. Thanks for any help and input
Dave

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Well, an O2 sensor fault and a seat heater fault have nothing to do with the changes you made. You're going to want to go to the dealer for them.

I would return both to where they were originally, rescan/reset the codes, and see what happens.

dpg

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, an O2 sensor fault and a seat heater fault have nothing to do with the changes you made. You're going to want to go to the dealer for them.

I would return both to where they were originally, rescan/reset the codes, and see what happens.

Thanks! I reset the codes after I saved it and no light this morning but we all know that the emissions stuff takes a few cycles to for a code to pop up if one ever does. I'll bring those back to their settings once that o2 code comes back.

bruce846

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDI's
As for the engine malfunction, that is for real. The HVAC and the seat heater seem to be common faults when you make changes, just reset them in their respective sections and you should be good to go. Did the mike reset work for you because I didn't notice any difference when I did it?

dpg

Veteran Member
TDI
As for the engine malfunction, that is for real. The HVAC and the seat heater seem to be common faults when you make changes, just reset them in their respective sections and you should be good to go. Did the mike reset work for you because I didn't notice any difference when I did it?

Yea i assumed that the o2 will come back and thanks for the feedback about the other faults and those clearing. as for the mic, when i made a couple test calls, my dad said it wasn't any better. I am going to bumped it up once more and see if that doesn't help. if not, then i'll just set it back to zero again. :rolleyes:

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Yea i assumed that the o2 will come back and thanks for the feedback about the other faults and those clearing. as for the mic, when i made a couple test calls, my dad said it wasn't any better. I am going to bumped it up once more and see if that doesn't help. if not, then i'll just set it back to zero again. :rolleyes:
The o2 fault may or may not come back. After rereading your post, I see that you made a couple of short trips. Maybe the sensor got confused/dirty and threw the code.

Some people have had the o2 sensors replaced, but I wouldn't be terribly worried about it.

dpg

Veteran Member
TDI
The o2 fault may or may not come back. After rereading your post, I see that you made a couple of short trips. Maybe the sensor got confused/dirty and threw the code.
Some people have had the o2 sensors replaced, but I wouldn't be terribly worried about it.

definitely agree about not being too worried about the sensor. i know if it comes back, i'll take it to the dealer but its not a dire emergency. i just thought it was weird that it happened the night that i did the other coding changes. i'll keep it updated if it comes back.

bruce846

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDI's
definitely agree about not being too worried about the sensor. i know if it comes back, i'll take it to the dealer but its not a dire emergency. i just thought it was weird that it happened the night that i did the other coding changes. i'll keep it updated if it comes back.
FYI, in the VCDS manual it states that level 2 priority faults should prompt a visit to the dealer... for what it's worth yours was a level 2.

dpg

Veteran Member
TDI
FYI, in the VCDS manual it states that level 2 priority faults should prompt a visit to the dealer... for what it's worth yours was a level 2.
I should have RTFM more thoroughly :eek:

Thanks for the heads up Bruce! It's been almost 2 days and the CEL hasn't come back. I guess I can do a quick scan when I get home and see if it has come back at some point. I am going to the dealer later this afternoon with my dad because he will be looking at a golf tdi :D so it would be a good chance to let the dealer deal with my o2 while we were there, haha

dpg

Veteran Member
TDI
went to the dealer for the o2 sensor and check engine light and all that i needed was part 2 of the software update. part 2 is only needed if you get the CEL for the o2 sensor. 1 hr at the dealer and i was done

tedkidd

TDI
11 JSW
VCDS Bluetooth base volume setting 9W7, Jan 17, 2011
In # 77 Telephone click on Adaption scroll down to Base volume of speech output and click on it.
The existing db value was some weird numbers and letters (4.76837e-007)
In the box below this value with the db, I changed the value to 4.0, clicked do it and answered yes to the input for wsc, then click do it again. The new value defaulted to 3.9 db, didn’t argue with electronic gods and now I have a base volume for my 9w7 Bluetooth which doesn’t blow me out of the car when I am listening to the radio at a normal volume level.
Also turned on Bluetooth acknowledge signal which chimes when my phone connects/disconnects.
Hmmm. Does this mean no more screaming "say a command..."?