www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old January 26th, 2009, 06:07   #1
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

Default Tires for '09 Sportwagen TDI

My OEM tires are Bridgestone Turanza EL400, which I wore out in 21k miles in my recently traded (hooray!!) Toyota Camry Hybrid. These were dreadful tires on the Camry Hybrid.
Question: Different size on TDI (205-55/16 vs Camry 215-60/16). Can I expect that this size is going to be any better than the ones on the Camry? I know the tire itself gets abysmal ratings at Tire Rack, but I've only read reviews from Camry Hybrid owners.
In Arlington, VA, we only get the feared ice storms, and the occassional 2-4 inches of snow, so I'm reluctant to get dedicated winter tires, so...
My wife won't be happy about a tire changeover (dealer refused to assist..big surprise?)...as the premature tire wear on the Camry was one of (many) excuses I used to trade for the TDI.
tdiatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 06:36   #2
KS_Jetta

Fuel Economy: average 44.2

My Jetta came with the Continentals which lasted 24,000 miles (down past the wear bars). I replaced with Bridgestone Potenzas which do great in rain and do handle better BUT be aware of rolling resistance. I lost 2-3 MPG when I switched. After the fact I researched and noticed a considerable difference in the rolling resistance. I found another set of VW rims on eBay at not too bad of a price and put dedicated snows on them. Wow. Can push snow with the front bumper. With the freezing rain and snow we get around here and my 160 mile per day commute - insurance. It's not like I won't use up tires - this way I can spread the miles.
I'm not an environmental activist - I'm an active environmentalist
KS_Jetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 07:32   #3
Pelican18TQA4
Veteran Member

My car came with Michelin Pilot MXM4s (225/45R17) and I have been happy with them in all weather conditions. I do wish they had more grip in the dry, but c'est la vie.
"I interviewed the late Steve Yokich, then UAW president, almost ten years ago. When I suggested that Detriot might be putting too many eggs in one basket with its utter devotion to SUVs at the expense of passenger car development and asked if the union might take a position in favor of more economical cars, he started screaming at me." -Jamie Kitman, Automobile
Pelican18TQA4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 07:43   #4
adjat84th
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~50 in mixed driving

I don't particularly care for the Turanzas, but they are not as bad as the Dunlops I had on my previous Civic Hybrid. Both sets of OEMs (on both cars) had horrible reviews/ratings on TireRack, and I value those ratings because they've always been accurate in my experiences. When my Turanzas are shot, I'll most likely be replacing with the Yokohama AVID V4s which I have on my Mazda.

'01 Jetta | 17/22, 3bar MAP, 11mm IP/Lift pump, PD 150, OMI, FMIC, PP502s, SBC st3, .685 5th, Malone Stage 5
'15 Golf | GTD1752vrk, 4bar MAP, CP3, Peloquin LSD, DC stage 3 w/ SMF, Fluidampr
adjat84th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 21:02   #5
velociT
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Jetta
My Jetta came with the Continentals which lasted 24,000 miles (down past the wear bars).
Crazyness. I have 21k on my conti's and they look like they have at least 40-50% left.
TDT for PD Mafia Member #002
Then: 06 Jetta TDI 5M *sold*
Now: 17 Ram 3500 CTD, 87 M35A2C
velociT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 21:51   #6
SBAtdijetta
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Best 51.4mpg, AVG 38+ and climbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by velociT
Crazyness. I have 21k on my conti's and they look like they have at least 40-50% left.
My Conti's lasted to about 9k... Then I sold them and my stock rims.

To be serious though, I did not like them very much. They were an ok passenger tire IMHO, not bad in the wet, not bad dry either. But for me, wanting to have some fun, they were real easy to chew up pushing the car though, and just did not have that much grip when doing so of course.

So to the OP you are just looking for a passenger tire no? Then driven reasonably the Conti's are a good tire. Btw you did not say what brand you have. Some got Michelin's or others as their OEM tires.

Edit: Ok so never mind you got the same "Bridgestone Turanza EL400" on your TDIs wheels?
Need help? I have VAG-COM

Last edited by SBAtdijetta; January 26th, 2009 at 21:54.
SBAtdijetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 00:33   #7
barshnik
Veteran Member

Are there any ill effects (other than the MFD, speedo, and odo reading slightly low) from using a slightly 'taller' 205x60x16 than the stock 205x55x16?

Typically, the tire diameter is 25.7" (60's) vs. 25.0 (55's) inches, with of course slightly fewer revs per mile for the 60's. No engine management issues? Maybe slightly better highway MPG's due to slightly fewer rpm's? Thanks,

John F
barshnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 04:55   #8
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

Yes, my JSW has Turanza EL400, same as the Camry Hybrid, different size.
Question was, will the different size give me substantially different performance?
I need the perfect compromise (!) between summer/winter, not dedicated summer AND dedicated winter tires. I love the Michelin Exaltos on my 93 Audi S-4. They do everything much better than average...
Thanks for the comments.
tdiatlast is offline   Reply With Quote