Sound Off on Current Diesel Price

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
The Quick Chek I gas up at has $3.53 for RUG and $3.85 for diesel.

Jamos

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta SW
In Berkeley, CA:

RUG - $4.31/gal
D2 - $4.39/gal
B99.9 - $4.59/gal
B20 - $4.39/gal

Last edited:

James' MK6 TDI

TDI
2012 Jetta Sedan
Still circling between $4.09-$4.15 in New England (Southern NH to be specific)

I saw a place a couple days ago still priced at $3.99 :D

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Right now, both RBOB gasoline and heating oil futures are down about 12 cents/gallon since the opening on Monday. So I guess the price increases had gone just a bit too far, too fast, for current conditions.

And locally, wholesale/terminal prices are down about 8 cents. That means some of the more proactive stations could drop their pump prices by a nickel or more. Most stations in the SuperAmerica chain were vary quick to raise their prices for diesel to $4.19, so I should be able to tell in the next day when prices fall. The cheapest stations are $3.839 to $3.899, according to Gas Buddy, but they are hard to find.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
As usuall, fuel prices spike up with each tiny blip on the radar but take an act of God to come down.

Patriot

TDI
2012 VW Golf TDI 6M 4dr Tech
Filled this morning for 3.939. Last night the same station was 3.899. Tried to use Shell this morning but they wouldn't allow supermarket discounts and at 4.239 I passed on that.

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
At least some stations are cutting diesel prices as fast as they raised them. An SA station that was $3.959 last Saturday, and $4.199 on Monday and Tuesday, had dropped back to $3.959 this afternoon (Thursday). And there were lots more stations charging $3.99 than I saw earlier this week.

Both Brent and WTI crude hit life-of-contract highs early today, with WTI closing just under $109.00. So regional weaknesses in prices at the pumps are probably temporary.

Both gasoline and heating oil prices fluctuated wildly on Thursday; I suspect we will not know until Monday at the earliest where prices will go next.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
All fuels still appear to be climbing around here.

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Gol TDI, blue and falling apart
Things seem to be moving in the wrong direction down here in coastal Alabama. I'm seeing gas prices steady or dropping, and several diesel outlets going up. It's anywhere from $3.899-$4.099 still, but everyone is gravitating to the high end of that scale.

plap17

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI/DSG
seeing a range of 4.21 - 4.35 in upstate NY. jumped .20 in a very short time. I don't always assume that diesel follows gas price spikes. Looks like I'm wrong.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Saw 3.99 in Rock Hill, SC today. Rug was 3.47.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
Today I had to get some RUG, all over Denver RUG is $3.099-3.199 and D2 is $3.689-3.789. RUG has gone up ~$0.20 in the last ~week and half while D2 is holding in the range it has been in for close to 4 months.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The petroleum pit craziness on Thursday and Friday was apparently caused by an Iranian news service report about an oil pipeline blast in Saudi Arabia.... which turned out to be false.

I think we should expect this kind of volatility for the foreseeable future. Near-zero interest rates in the US, inflation expectations, national debt, fear of sovereign debt defaults, concern that high oil prices will lead to another round of recession, etc.

But in the immediate future, this news should have consequences:

A major midwestern oil pipeline will be shut down for several days after a spill and fire near Chicago caused by a car accident.

A Chevrolet sport-utility vehicle and a Ford Mustang crashed into each other and hit a small above-ground section of an Enbridge Inc. oil pipeline in an industrial park in New Lenox, Ill., causing a spill and fire that killed two and injured three.

The outage could worsen an already constrained oil-distribution system between Canada and the U.S. Canada's access to buyers in the U.S. has been limited as storage and refining space in the Midwest has been filled by surging production in Canada and the Western U.S.

The pipeline was shut down within hours of the accident early Saturday morning and will remain shut down until Thursday morning, an Enbridge spokeswoman said. The downed Enbridge Line 14/64 pipeline normally transports 317,000 barrels of oil a day.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203370604577262000613686954.html

need4speed

Veteran Member
Diesel at Death Valley was $5.90!!!
I understand that there are two places in the country where fuel is extremely over-inflated. (there may be more that I'm not aware of). Death valley is one, and there's another one, north of Ragged Point on hwy 1 along the California Coast.

(It's a twisty windy road, so the fuel must be trucked in via a small 10-wheeler truck. The wise should tank up in SLO before proceeding North up the coast.)

Badwater basin is like 100+ miles from ANYWHERE. So I'm not at all surprised at $5.90.

I did a bunch of driving along the coast on Saturday.

The least expensive I found NORTH of LA/South of SLO this weekend (according to Gas Buddy) was $5.29/gal. at a Valero station along rt. 126 just west of Santa Clarita. Every other station through Ventura, Santa Barbara, Santa Maria, Pismo, and San Luis, is in the $4.50-$4.79 range.

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Fuel should be expensive in isolated, out-of-the-way locations -- to encourage retailers to offer fuel for sale, and to discourage drivers from buying more than they absolutely need to get to the next station.

Whether one is crossing the ocean in a sailing ship to a new land, or crossing the Great Plains in a covered wagon, or crossing the Mohave Desert on a back road to Las Vegas, it's always a good idea to plan ahead and buy what you need before you start out. Everything costs more out in the middle of Nowhere, if you can get it at all.